Rs3 opf filter; year?

Dk2020

Reaction score
Hey!
i am in search of a rs3. Love the sound from Pfl; have tested a -16 with stock sport exhaust and it was absolutely fantastic. have been wondering if it would be good to try to buy something newer, if not too little updated technology such as Vc etc. Have read a lot about that fl doesn't sound as good as pfl. Have watched a lot of youtube and it feels like there are fl who have pops and bangs even though it may not have exactly the same raw tone as pfl. What I now wonder is if there are any year models that have both the sound and the fl before it became OPF filter and a little less life on the engines. I think I have read that it should be a breaking point for cars manufactured before April 2018 (perhaps later released on the market as an annual model 2019). anyone who is a little at home on this and can figure out how it is?

You’d be looking at a 17/18 plate without OPF, Audi stopped production for a short while so I believe anything 2019 onwards have the OPF.

Reactions: Doohie
I'm not sure of the exact build month cutoffs for when they started with the OPF so somebody with more experience will chime in soon but as far as I know the 2017/2018(early 2018?) rs3 would be the best choice.

As you mentioned the pfl sounds the best but it dosen't have the tuning potential of the fl as well as the vc and sedan option. Then the fl with the OPF filter came and muted the sound even more. None of the fl's sound like a pfl though if that's what you were asking!

Just make sure you buy one with the black pack ;) if I could go back I would've waited for the nardo so just make sure it's the spec you want (alcantara instead of the leather, red stitching, seatbelts, rs3 floormats, sunroof, etc). Not sure what that pack is called where you are but here it's the design pack and worth every penny imho.

Gl with your purchase!! You've made the right call going for an rs3 :p

If you do go with an OPF model, a valve controller will help with sound improvement. I'll certainly be getting one once my ordered OPF RS3 turns up

For reference my car is a June 2018 and non-OPF

I drove both pre and post WLTP regs and the 2019 one sucked in comparison. It isn't just the exhaust sound, the maps and compression ratio have changed as well as (as I understand it) boost and fuelling. I drove them back-to-back and the 2019 lacked the savagery the 2018 has. I could feel the difference in my bumcheeks.

I drove both pre and post WLTP regs and the 2019 one sucked in comparison.
How so?

Speed is near identical, slightly different power delivery, with softer launch on the OPF model but unless you go around launching off the lights every day you really aren’t going to see or feel any difference?

Sound yes and I can see how some prefer the louder noise with pops and bangs but to say the OPF version sucks is ludicrous when tests show hardly anything in it except for the noise, add a valve controller and it sounds great.

Reactions: GW1
How so?

unless you go around launching off the lights every day...

What else is an RS3 for? Yes I do. All the time. I get 16MPG everywhere. I drove both in the same day, it is subjective yes, but that's my opinion.

Anyway this debate has been done to death.

What else is an RS3 for? Yes I do. All the time. I get 16MPG everywhere. I drove both in the same day, it is subjective yes, but that's my opinion.

Anyway this debate has been done to death

Indeed it has! Respect your opinion and ETTO, noticed you updated your original comment and I understand your reasoning and have heard the pre OPF cars are more savage/raw. For me coming from a B9 S4 the newer car suited me better personally, no pops and bangs which I don’t like and a bit more softer to transition from the S4 which was a great comfortable car, both pre/post OPF cars great in their own way, but savage is not for me.

Haha, well I didn’t buy it for traffic light wars and would feel like a wally sitting there in launch mode engine revving away, it’s quick enough to beat 90% of cars on the road without launching.

Last edited:
Mines is late June 2018 and is OPF free one of the last face lift cars before the stop in manufacture, for about 6-8 months and the introduction of OPF. At the end of the day I would be choosing a FL car for many more reasons than the sound of the exhaust which at times is great at others is a bit embarrassing . They are all epic performance cars.

Reactions: UV-RS3, GW1, Luiggi and 1 other person
Mines is late June 2018 and is OPF free one of the last face lift cars before the stop in manufacture, for about 6-8 months and the introduction of OPF. At the end of the day I would be choosing a FL car for many more reasons than the sound of the exhaust which at times is great at others is a bit embarrassing . They are all epic performance cars.
Yes indeed, for a new RS3 buyer you’ve got a choice of 3 awesome cars, I had the choice and for me the exhaust of the previous 2 cars had always put me off, the OPF car suited me best and I like the muted sound although it’s still loud and many comments on how good it sounds. My neighbour 5 houses down comments how he can hear it in the mornings when he’s in bed, god knows what a pre OPF/PFL car would do to upset my neighbours! Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Luiggi
I drive both every day, my own 2018 non GPF car and then at work I drive a 2019 GPF car that we have for map development. On stock maps they are the same in terms of performance but the GPF car lacks the drama of the nGPF. This drama is from the exhaust noise, even in Dynamic it is quiet. The stock mapping on the GPF car is better than the nGPF, torque delivery is smoother and studying the maps I can see where the changes are.

Now if you go to stage1 on a GPF car it really comes alive, huge torque gains, pops and crackles, louder exhaust. Much more drama.

I've finished the stage1 project now so if anyone want's to try it on their 2019 car please get in touch.

Reactions: Terminator x, Luiggi, Riko0073 and 1 other person
I drive both every day, my own 2018 non GPF car and then at work I drive a 2019 GPF car that we have for map development. On stock maps they are the same in terms of performance but the GPF car lacks the drama of the nGPF. This drama is from the exhaust noise, even in Dynamic it is quiet. The stock mapping on the GPF car is better than the nGPF, torque delivery is smoother and studying the maps I can see where the changes are.

Now if you go to stage1 on a GPF car it really comes alive, huge torque gains, pops and crackles, louder exhaust. Much more drama.

I've finished the stage1 project now so if anyone want's to try it on their 2019 car please get in touch.
Love to try this - where are you? I am in SW England so maybe too far away...

Where are you based mate? Considering a map at some point in the future as plan to keep this a while so a re-map should keep it fresh rather than wanting to change it!

I drove both pre and post WLTP regs and the 2019 one sucked in comparison. It isn't just the exhaust sound, the maps and compression ratio have changed as well as (as I understand it) boost and fuelling. I drove them back-to-back and the 2019 lacked the savagery the 2018 has. I could feel the difference in my bumcheeks.
No offence but absolute nonsense.. if you were to put a set of ear plugs in and not told which car was which you would not be able to tell the difference as it is very very marginal

No offence but absolute nonsense.. if you were to put a set of ear plugs in and not told which car was which you would not be able to tell the difference as it is very very marginal

Do I feel a blind A/B test coming on? That'd be interesting, i'd be up for that.

Was interesting that on the Carwow test Yianni only commented that one was slightly faster off the line (pre) and the other was slightly quicker mid range (post), no comment about the cars feeling massively different or even any comment about the exhaust, although yes we know there is a difference with pops, bangs and downshifts.

All have our opinions and preferences but to say the OPF car sucks is a bit much and agree very very marginal in real world performance.

Reactions: Luiggi and wuta3
I’m not letting you drive my car blindfolded :racer::scared2: :welcoming:

Go on, we can rig something like this up, but to the windscreen

External contentduckduckgocom

Reactions: Luiggi
Here is a little sound comparison video, bit biased as it is GPF stg1 vs nGPF stock but does show that there is a difference.

Reactions: 5pot4banger and Riko0073
thanks for all the answers and interesting opinions on the subject!
as usual, opinions go apart, but that's perfectly natural. I'm going to buy pfl 2016 or fl 2018 befors opf. Unfortunately I'm still unsure of what's right for me. seems like the next step is to test drive fl/no opf 2018 to make my own comparison.
If anyone have like a youtube link to that comparison, plz guide me

as usual, opinions go apart, but that's perfectly natural. I'm going to buy pfl 2016 or fl 2018 befors opf. Unfortunately I'm still unsure of what's right for me. seems like the next step is to test drive fl/no opf 2018 to make my own comparison.
Good luck with your purchase mate, whatever you go for.

Reactions: 5pot4banger
Yes indeed, for a new RS3 buyer you’ve got a choice of 3 awesome cars, I had the choice and for me the exhaust of the previous 2 cars had always put me off, the OPF car suited me best and I like the muted sound although it’s still loud and many comments on how good it sounds. My neighbour 5 houses down comments how he can hear it in the mornings when he’s in bed, god knows what a pre OPF/PFL car would do to upset my neighbours! Lol

Well when the neighbour likes to always put me through the smell of curry almost every night then me waking him and his children up at 5:30am every morning is my version of revenge ;) but in all honestly the cold startup of a pfl which is decatted and valves permanently open is savagely loud to the point it shakes the ceiling lights inside my house. And I mean shake.. not just a little vibration lol

As someone who owns a pfl and only was concerned about sound when buying this car if I could go back I would've bought a 2018 (pre opf). Overall if your budget can allow for it it's a much more complete car and the tuning potential is enormous to the point that I think i'm gonna cut my losses with my pfl which I've already sunk money into a stage 2 setup and upgrade to a fl and go for a tte700.. You also get the option of the sedan which while it might not be as practical looks sleeker imo

Reactions: Luiggi and Riko0073
Here is a little sound comparison video, bit biased as it is GPF stg1 vs nGPF stock but does show that there is a difference.

Why's the OPF car driver revving it so gently and slowly?

Have you any final numbers on the REVO OPF stage 1/2 tunes?

Why's the OPF car driver revving it so gently and slowly?

Have you any final numbers on the REVO OPF stage 1/2 tunes?
It was me revving them both and I tried to do them the same. GPF car is less noisy as the revs rise, thats all. The overrun pops are also very dependant on the pedal rate of change and duration.

About +60bhp and +115Nm for stage1. No stage2 planned at the moment.

It was me revving them both and I tried to do them the same. GPF car is less noisy as the revs rise, thats all. The overrun pops are also very dependant on the pedal rate of change and duration.

About +60bhp and +115Nm for stage1. No stage2 planned at the moment.

Go out there, do it again, and this time put your foot into it, and stop touching it up gingerly ;)

What are your base numbers for the OPF car? Did it dyno low as some are saying? What are final numbers, and on what octane?

Go out there, do it again, and this time put your foot into it, and stop touching it up gingerly ;)

What are your base numbers for the OPF car? Did it dyno low as some are saying? What are final numbers, and on what octane?
No, it doesnt need doing again. Heavy tip in will not make any difference as like I said the pops/crackles are based on rate of change and time, as they are in the non GPF car. The video was done to demonstrate the pops/crackles.

Dyno numbers are irrelevant as every dyno is different. They are used for comparison from stock to stage1 etc. The figures I quoted were on 99 v power

Last edited:
Reactions: Riko0073
Just search for 2018 cars then if the OP? Every now and then I take a look to see what is for sale and always exclude the 2019 cars *whistle*

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY
Just search for 2018 cars then if the OP? Every now and then I take a look to see what is for sale and always exclude the 2019 cars *whistle*

TX.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX.

:blahblah1:

I’m beginning to think this obsession is envy or jealousy TX, you sure you secretly don’t want that OPF car on your driveway :whistle2::icon thumright:

TX.

I do exactly the same when looking on Autotrader... cars from 2019 onwards are excluded!

Reactions: Terminator x
:blahblah1:

I’m beginning to think this obsession is envy or jealousy TX, you sure you secretly don’t want that OPF car on your driveway :whistle2::icon thumright:
Calm down I'm entitled to my / an opinion just as you are.

TX.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone’s opinion is different and personal to them. If anyone doesn’t like someone’s personal opinion, I have only one thing to say. Get over it and move on with the thread. Do not wind others up to the stage where the thread gets so full up of personal attacks and disagreements with others. When and if this happens I will close it permanently.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone’s opinion is different and personal to them. If anyone doesn’t like someone’s personal opinion, I have only one thing to say. Get over it and move on with the thread. Do not wind others up to the stage where the thread gets so full up of personal attacks and disagreements with others. When and if this happens I will close it permanently.
Totally agree, I’ve always respected others opinions, it’s a forum for that at the end of the day, saw it as friendly banter and totally calm, no intention to cause offence and will leave it at that :icon thumright:

Reactions: Sandra