RS3 not met expectations

Lot of yawning going on, your RS3's making you want to fall asleep ? :p

If that's your view what you even doing here go back to your Kia forum and talk about your performance turbo and handling I'm sure you can eBay it to make it look really aggressive. Change your name to negative vision!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Terminator x, Nimbus265 and 1 other person
This thread was started in the A3/S3 forum and appears to have been moved recently to the RS3 forum! Now I know why the level of animosity has been creeping up and civility is going out the window.

The title of the thread is "RS3 not met expectations" - what did you expect? We are all entitled to an opinion. Don't enter the fire unless you're prepared to get burnt!

Last edited:
There are two different therads in each forum both covering similar discussion, but both were started independently I believe.

I think you will find that the majority of talk here in the RS3 specific section is mostly favorable towards the RS3 as many of us have placed orders, taken delivery or are thinking of ordering.

Accordingly, the fact we are here would suggest that most of us have a great interest in the RS3, otherwise we would have moved on surely ?
Why would you continue to hang round the RS3 section and post if you dislike the car or have no interest in it other than saying its not the car the car for you ? .... this is the bit I don't get or understand - persistent negative posts over and over. If you don't like the car fine, find one you do like.
I think the Audi range of cars is the best of any manufacturer out there - for me personally.
I am very happy with the brand and have been for 8 years now - good Dealer & great cars which suit my taste.
I have not had a bad Audi yet.

On the whole, we have a great bunch of people here on ASN and the RS3 and A3/S3 section reflects this IMO.
We have great chat, banter and discussion over a common interest be it Audi, A3, S3, RS3, TT etc.
I'm up for a healthy discussion as much as anyone but there are times when you can tell some people are posting just to provoke a reaction.
and sometimes these reactions are not always with good intention - but mostly they are which is good.

You can learn a wealth of information & knowledge from everyone on ASN and asking questions, getting advice, sounding each other out is great.
But back to the specific question here - the RS3 not meeting expectations ....
For the majority of us here in this "RS3 8V section" it most certainly has met expectations, otherwise most of us would have moved on.
So it should not be unreasonable to expect a flurry of responses from people supporting the RS3 and saying its great and giving our reasons to back this up, that is certainly what I have tried to do.

I feel very lucky to be looking forward to getting an RS3, it will be without question the best car I have ever owned, I am confident of that.
So please excuse our excitement and enthusiasm towards this car but to most of us the RS3 is epic :sunglasses:

Reactions: Tej13, JimboS3, 45bvtc and 16 others
If my English was good enough, I would write down exactly what is stated above. +1!

Reactions: 45bvtc, GRE57Y, T-800 and 4 others
"I feel very lucky to be looking forward to getting an RS3, it will be without question the best car I have ever owned, I am confident of that.
So please excuse our excitement and enthusiasm towards this car but to most of us the RS3 is epic :sunglasses:"

I'll second that Mr snake when is yours due? I've got the midnight bug, well it's actually the 5.30am checking My-audi bug at the moment, mine went to prep a while back and is due for build on Monday. :grinning: :nogarors4:

Reactions: Rs1, Snake Pliskin and RGBARGEE
It's a shame that people can't accept everyone is different and have to make the same boring points over and over again. They might have been useful once, but the continual repeating just brings the forums fun levels down and I no longer read the S3 forum, even though I own one because of certain cretins members who have to keep on with the same tired arguments. If it starts here I'll be off as I couldn't care less for people with agendas on the internet, I'll own what I want, pay what I want and like what I want without anyones approval. But I also want to enjoy good quality banter, but that seems less likely here these days thanks again to some 'willy waving' and 'look at me' individuals. Also surprises the hell out of me that the mods turn a blind eye cos' their mates.. Will kill the forum eventually if left unchecked.

Reactions: billyali86, T-800, Nimbus265 and 4 others
I'll second that Mr snake when is yours due?

Nice one thanks ......... very exciting your is so close now - mine is not due till next year (hopefully March) but still no confirmed build week yet - I am just being welcomed to Ingolstadt perpetually for the last 6 weeks and counting :) But hey, the build up is exciting too and just pleased I am in the ever increasing in size queue !

Nice one thanks ......... very exciting your is so close now - mine is not due till next year (hopefully March) but still no confirmed build week yet - I am just being welcomed to Ingolstadt perpetually for the last 6 weeks and counting :) But hey, the build up is exciting too and just pleased I am in the ever increasing in size queue !
Will come soon....my build date is 7th December ordered end July wasn't expecting till March probably get for January all good.

Reactions: RGBARGEE and Snake Pliskin
Well RS1 I'm a week behind you and not expected at dealer until end Jan. I'll wait for 1 March for the c£1000 extra value on resale.

Well RS1 I'm a week behind you and not expected at dealer until end Jan. I'll wait for 1 March for the c£1000 extra value on resale.
My build date has been moved forward now to 23rd November hopefully get before Xmas....here's hoping.

After owning an s3 8p with stage 2+ revo I couldn't have been more underwhelmed by the std 8v s3 I took out, however I still ordered the 8v rs3 without a test drive just hoping they had made a massive improvement on the s.
When I finally got to take it out I couldn't have been happier! Completely different car to drive. The noise alone is worth the premium over the s3. Ive been driving an 8v rs3 daily for over a month now and can't fault on the road. The more I drive it the more I like it.
If you are in the market for an a3 based car and you can afford an rs why the hell would you buy an s3.
To argue that a stage1 map would take it to similar power is stupid as they both have the same tuning potential.
I love a golf I've owned a mk2 for over 10 years. Still love driving it but would never consider the golf r and wouldn't even compare it to the rs3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashbrummy, jimojameso, Danner3342 and 3 others
Had the s3 for 4 days, went to Wales with it also with some mates to experience some of the twisty roads and bends.. Honestly, the s3 is such a horrible overrated car.

The sports exhaust is rubbish in it too. I wouldn't buy a s3 for 30k+. It just has no soul or any umph about it. The only positive about was the comfort of both the seats and ever so slightly the mag ride, still experienced heavy body roll ..

To sum it up.
The RS3 has sold itself over and over again...
Cheers.

Reactions: Ashbrummy and Eigdoog
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, DAYTONA 500 and RYuill
Thought this thread was about the rs3 not meeting expectations!
Ive got a S1 and tested the RS3 and loved it but it's incredibly overpriced when you tick the option boxes.
I'd order one but it's just to expensive for me and will not hold its money very well.
I've ordered the Focus RS which I think will be a great car and will without doubt hold its money much better.
Will be interesting to see them both head to head when it arrives as it's 4 wheel drive system is miles more advanced than the Haldex system.
I've paid £31k with about the same spec as a RS3 including sat navigation, 19" forged wheels with michelin super sports, painted callipers, recaro seats, launch control and metallic paint.
Makes the new RS3 look overpriced!
Still have a RS3 though!!!

Thought this thread was about the rs3 not meeting expectations!
Ive got a S1 and tested the RS3 and loved it but it's incredibly overpriced when you tick the option boxes.
I'd order one but it's just to expensive for me and will not hold its money very well.
I've ordered the Focus RS which I think will be a great car and will without doubt hold its money much better.
Will be interesting to see them both head to head when it arrives as it's 4 wheel drive system is miles more advanced than the Haldex system.
I've paid £31k with about the same spec as a RS3 including sat navigation, 19" forged wheels with michelin super sports, painted callipers, recaro seats, launch control and metallic paint.
Makes the new RS3 look overpriced!
Still have a RS3 though!!!

Is it because "it's just to expensive for you and will not hold its money very well" you are saying its overpriced?

Is it because "it's just to expensive for you and will not hold its money very well" you are saying its overpriced?
It is overpriced I ticked a few option boxes and got close to nearly 49k. So yes to expensive for me.
Both the RS focus and RS3 are hyper hatches and I've ticked option boxes on both and is the RS3 worth a premium of 18k I just dont see it.
And my point no it won't hold its money look at used rs3 on the auto trader.

It is overpriced I ticked a few option boxes and got close to nearly 49k. So yes to expensive for me.
Both the RS focus and RS3 are hyper hatches and I've ticked option boxes on both and is the RS3 worth a premium of 18k I just dont see it.

Ones an Audi and ones a Ford bit of a difference not just in the price but go look at used Ford Focus on Autotrader :yes: they don't hold their money :scared2: and its still a Ford not an Audi.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Ones an Audi and ones a Ford bit of a difference not just in the price but go look at used Ford Focus on Autotrader :yes: they don't hold their money :scared2: and its still a Ford not an Audi.
Just looked mate some RS focuses are more when they were new and a couple of RS500s are up to 5k more when new to.
Can't see any RS3 more than new 5 years old!!!

Just looked mate some RS focuses are more when they were new and a couple of RS500s are up to 5k more when new to.
Can't see any RS3 more than new 5 years old!!!

You're comparing apples to oranges is the Focus you've ordered a limited edition like the RS500?

No it's not but most decent RS focus have only lost a couple of thousand compared to an RS3 which have lost miles more, I just don't see the Rs3 holding its value well.
There's a quite a few nearly 29/30k regular RS focuses nearly 5 k more than when new.

No it's not but most decent RS focus have only lost a couple of thousand compared to an RS3 which have lost miles more, I just don't see the Rs3 holding its value well.
There's a quite a few nearly 29/30k regular RS focuses nearly 5 k more than when new.

Theres also nearly new RS3's for sale at more than list price.?

Reactions: RGBARGEE and Rs1
How does the previous RS3 and the previous Focus RS stack up as a used buy % of new cost?
The same will be true of these new variants.

All Audi RS products are overpriced. I loved my RS5, but it was never worth the list price.
The Focus RS looks a bargain in comparison. Head to heads will be very interesting.

I think I'd rather be driving a new rs3 than a chavmobile ford rs by the look of some of the people driving them.
Looking forward to my rs3 coming soon.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
How does the previous RS3 and the previous Focus RS stack up as a used buy % of new cost?
The same will be true of these new variants.

All Audi RS products are overpriced. I loved my RS5, but it was never worth the list price.
The Focus RS looks a bargain in comparison. Head to heads will be very interesting.

Anything is only worth the price that you pay for it otherwise you wouldn't buy it ?,Did you pay list price for there RS5?

The cheapest RS3 is about £30k though, how much is the cheapest FRS? Oh and one man's "expensive" is another man's "more exclusive" ;)

TX.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and Rs1
Anything is only worth the price that you pay for it otherwise you wouldn't buy it ?,Did you pay list price for there RS5?

Valuable insight, however supply and demand will dictate the price and the ability of the consumer to pay what they think it worth. You sometimes pay over the odds for a product in order to get the product. Otherwise you miss out.

No I didnt. I'd never pay list for any car.

The cheapest RS3 is about £30k though, how much is the cheapest FRS? Oh and one man's "expensive" is another man's "more exclusive" ;)

TX.

Cheapest RS3 is £24k or 63% of base rrp new cost. 2011 car.
Cheapest Focus RS II is £18k or 72% of base rrp new cost. 2009 car.

Ford doing okay considering its 2 years older.

Is there any RS3 s which are 4 years old selling more than list price when new?
Send me the link and I will concide defeat.

Is there any RS3 s which are 4 years old selling more than list price when new?
Send me the link and I will concide defeat.
Why focus on the small number of cars fetching silly money when they are probably museum pieces that are never driven? FRS's sell in their thousands whilst the RS3 sells in hundreds, each to their own but I know which one I'd want ;) The new FRS is silly cheap so the high street will be awash with them.

TX.

As much as I like the focus rs' (more so the older ones as the new one is **** ugly) you can't compare a ford to an Audi!
I'd rather pay the premium for the quality of the Audi.
As for the loss of value...really??
your figures make about as much sense as your grammar?
If it's in your budget and it's the car you want then don't settle for anything less, you will only regret buying the cheaper option!! Much better than trying to convince yourself and everyone else that it was a great buy because you won't lose much money at resale.

Reactions: Marshy
I'm not sure how the Audi can be considered overpriced vs the Focus when ALL Audi's are more expensie than Fords, whichever model you compare.

Its like saying a Ford is overpriced compared to a Kia.

Yes the Audi is more expensive than the Ford, but the two brands are in different leagues.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
So this thread started out as someone being 'underwhelmed' when they have a test and has now turned into a slagging match because the Focus RS is cheaper/more affordable?

Everyone is different. Everyone has a different view and reasoning behind their purchase, likes and dislikes.

I am 100% sure the Focus will be better to drive at 10/10ths than the RS3, but for me it looks ridiculous (outrageous perhaps is a better word, as all Ford RS models have the same style). Just as the Honda Civic Type-R looks bonkers. Who drives these kind of cars at 10/10ths all the time anyway??

At the beginning of this thread, someone mentioned that the RS3 looks like it has had a visit to Halfords and yet, here we are now arguing about the Focus which has more spoilers than an F1 car...

I like the RS3. I like the engine, the discreet styling and the fact that it can be bonkers fast when I am in the mood. I do not want to get to a set of lights and have everyone look over and think "Race time!". I have enough of this with my other car. I enjoy driving, and I do not mean just to Tesco to pose next to the trolleys... I do a lot of road trips around Europe and want something that can be comfortable and quick when I want, not a bouncy race-track warrior that would get annoying after a few hours. If I did not need 5 seats I would not buy any hot hatch, I would have a proper sports car...

As for the "Holding of Value" comments, yes the RS500 will hold its value as it was a very limited edition car. Lest we forget, they were circa. £45k brand new, and yet they are now regarded as a bargain??? If you are changing your car in four years then you will always take the big hit with depreciation.

I started out this thread in the S3 section. And I'm unsure off why people have such a negative view on the RS3 I think that it's a brilliant car I test drove this just before I collected my S3 on the 1st of September and was more looking at the differences between the two and I think there both great cars if I didn't have an interest I wouldn't waste my time coming on here. And my next purchase will be either the RS3 or the new TT RS when It finally lands.