RS3 not met expectations

Is one greater than the other though...that is the question? Time and real life ownership will tell.

I currently have the S3 8v with DTUK. I love it. Still makes me smile.
I had a 30 minute test drive in the RS3 and ordered as soon as I was back at the dealers.

If you like it, buy it. If you don't, then get something else.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Scotty2011, chungster and 4 others
I currently have the S3 8v with DTUK. I love it. Still makes me smile.
I had a 30 minute test drive in the RS3 and ordered as soon as I was back at the dealers.

If you like it, buy it. If you don't, then get something else.

It really is as simple as that isn't it.
It doesn't really need a debate over what's best as they are two different models.

It's like saying rs5 is or isn't better than an s5 etc. I know the rs5 is the better car but s5 was my budget and I was happy with that - I didn't feel a need to justify it over an RS ?

Reactions: RYuill
Agree with some of the above. The RS3 didn't really float my boat as an 'RS' but I would certainly choose it over my current S3 after the test drive. Theres no comparison there. If it was a saloon body I may be tempted. As mentioned, forget the RRP and look at the finance deal on PCP

I guess its down to peoples expectation of what a fast audi should be. It's a 'fast audi' so it's not going to be involving and fulfilling to most, that's not the point. It's a high quality(!) object as per, dare I say it an i phone :welcoming:. I guess that's the market Audi are going for.

I'm holding on to the S3 for a little while longer though till I've had a crack at the focus RS.
If I don't mind 'downgrading' as some put it from this audi interior (Which as we're on the subject after 4 months has as many rattles as any ford I've ever owned):whistle2:

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
This is the reason why they bring out various different models to suit people requirements

Reactions: xBox
I love threads like this :)

The RS3 will satisfy everyone..... as long as their criteria for measuring its worth have been satisfied :)

Last edited:
and still the RS3 over S3 justification continues :)

I try not to get drawn into these debates as each car is great in its own right and the whole reason for sport / sline / S / RS is to offer a choice of car and spec which appeals to a wider market.

Just posted this in the "RS3 ... worth the premium over S3" in the A3/S3 forum and these are my own personal thoughts on the subject:

If you are asking the question - for me personally - the RS3 is easily worth the premium over the S3.

S3 is a nice car and I have no issue with the S3 at all - I have driven one and it was a very good package in its own right.
(in fact we did consider one for the wife, but have gone with a new TT in the end)
But for me personally, I have had a gen.2 TTS prior to my current S5 and as punchy as the 4 pot is, it does not do it for me in the sound department ... and the S3 having artifical sound is a gripe of mine (even though the S5 has it too).

Stepping into the RS3 on the other hand, strike it up and immediately it puts a smile on your face with the sound it makes.
Just standing/sitting still and blipping the throttle is a smile inducing experience with the RS3 - you know you are sat in something special.

On the move things just get better and better.
The power and performance on tap is just simply exhilerating and more than enough for me.
Launch control is both savage and hugely impressive.
Having experienced the RS3 on track in the hands of a Pro at an Audi Showcase day a few weeks ago, this just sealed the deal for me.
The RS3 round a track, full on for 3 seriously hot laps, was nothing short of astounding.
The grip is phenominal, the pace is border line scary on track, the cornering speed is crazy.
and this was a car which was being taken round lap after lap.
The RS3 was lapping quicker than an R8 (albeit V8) which I had also been taken out in prior to the RS3.

The specification is a step up over the S3 of course.
19" rims are included as standard, as are LED lights, parking sensors and a few other bits and pieces and S Tronic is also standard.
The fact you can specify a sports exhaust is a great addition to this car and for me also adds to the occasion of the RS3.
I have tested two RS3's now - both standard exhaust (which is great in its own right) and the sports exhaust which is fantastic !
The sports exhaust is not boomy at 70mph as you can turn the volume down with the drive select.
But when you do want the added noise its just great and exactly what I want from an RS.
The 5 cylinder engine alone is worth the premium over the S3 - it is a brilliant engine, I am so pleased Audi retained this for the RS3.
If the noise is a problem to you, then you probabaly are better suited to the S3 or another car entirely.

For me the looks are just enough to both make it look more aggrssive than the S3 whilst not making it too OTT, like say a Focus RS.
Audi manage to balance the look of their cars very well IMO (which is probabaly why the RS3 will be my 4th Audi).
But the different grill, wider arches, body kit, alloys & brakes and those amazing twin oval exhausts are just enough to visually distinguish the car.
Audi have then provided some great options in the form of coloured alloys, black or alum packs etc to further compliment the cars looks.
The RS tweaks and optiions give the car a great look and a step above the S for sure.

For sure many of us agree that the RS3 is a great car - the order books alone back that up.

That said I still think the S3 is a superb car in its own right.
We are purely talking here about the RS premium over the S.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinC2, 45bvtc, monkeyboy_marcus and 11 others
Agreed as well. Just my 2 cents - The difference in my monthly lease instalment between S3 and RS3 was around 400-500 PLN which is currently around 70-85 pounds. Sorry, but just the sound of RS3 is worth more than this for me. It was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
and still the RS3 over S3 justification continues :)

I try not to get drawn into these debates as each car is great in its own right and the whole reason for sport / sline / S / RS is to offer a choice of car and spec which appeals to a wider market.

Just posted this in the "RS3 ... worth the premium over S3" in the A3/S3 forum and these are my own personal thoughts on the subject:

If you are asking the question - for me personally - the RS3 is easily worth the premium over the S3.

S3 is a nice car and I have no issue with the S3 at all - I have driven one and it was a very good package in its own right.
(in fact we did consider one for the wife, but have gone with a new TT in the end)
But for me personally, I have had a gen.2 TTS prior to my current S5 and as punchy as the 4 pot is, it does not do it for me in the sound department ... and the S3 having artifical sound is a gripe of mine (even though the S5 has it too).

Stepping into the RS3 on the other hand, strike it up and immediately it puts a smile on your face with the sound it makes.
Just standing/sitting still and blipping the throttle is a smile inducing experience with the RS3 - you know you are sat in something special.

On the move things just get better and better.
The power and performance on tap is just simply exhilerating and more than enough for me.
Launch control is both savage and hugely impressive.
Having experienced the RS3 on track in the hands of a Pro at an Audi Showcase day a few weeks ago, this just sealed the deal for me.
The RS3 round a track, full on for 3 seriously hot laps, was nothing short of astounding.
The grip is phenominal, the pace is border line scary on track, the cornering speed is crazy.
and this was a car which was being taken round lap after lap.
The RS3 was lapping quicker than an R8 (albeit V8) which I had also been taken out in prior to the RS3.

The specification is a step up over the S3 of course.
19" rims are included as standard, as are LED lights, parking sensors and a few other bits and pieces and S Tronic is also standard.
The fact you can specify a sports exhaust is a great addition to this car and for me also adds to the occasion of the RS3.
I have tested two RS3's now - both standard exhaust (which is great in its own right) and the sports exhaust which is fantastic !
The sports exhaust is not boomy at 70mph as you can turn the volume down with the drive select.
But when you do want the added noise its just great and exactly what I want from an RS.
The 5 cylinder engine alone is worth the premium over the S3 - it is a brilliant engine, I am so pleased Audi retained this for the RS3.
If the noise is a problem to you, then you probabaly are better suited to the S3 or another car entirely.

For me the looks are just enough to both make it look more aggrssive than the S3 whilst not making it too OTT, like say a Focus RS.
Audi manage to balance the look of their cars very well IMO (which is probabaly why the RS3 will be my 4th Audi).
But the different grill, wider arches, body kit, alloys & brakes and those amazing twin oval exhausts are just enough to visually distinguish the car.
Audi have then provided some great options in the form of coloured alloys, black or alum packs etc to further compliment the cars looks.
The RS tweaks and optiions give the car a great look and a step above the S for sure.

For sure many of us agree that the RS3 is a great car - the order books alone back that up.

That said I still think the S3 is a superb car in its own right.
We are purely talking here about the RS premium over the S.

There is a whole load of pre-purchase justification.
You don't need to justify it or the cost to anyone but yourself and your family.
Been through the self-persuasion thing many times before, it never is as good as you can talk yourself into believing, but you are onto a good starting point as everything is great/amazing/phenomenal/crazy etc etc.

Sounds like the kind of thing I've said to the missus on a number of occassions explaining why in my mind the car I'm away to buy is the perfect car.

There is a whole load of pre-purchase justification.
You don't need to justify it or the cost to anyone but yourself and your family.
Been through the self-persuasion thing many times before, it never is as good as you can talk yourself into believing, but you are onto a good starting point as everything is great/amazing/phenomenal/crazy etc etc.

Sounds like the kind of thing I've said to the missus on a number of occassions explaining why in my mind the car I'm away to buy is the perfect car.

Yeah - it just feels like it can be an on-going debate at times and I wonder why ?

If I like a car I buy it, if not I don't, it really is that simple - I don't go scrutinising or analysing the ins and outs - I look to enjoy the build up and then ownership when I take delivery.

The RS did turn my head though as soon as it was announced and I haven't had that feeling for a few years.
Usually I would be due a change and then I would start looking at what attracts me and then decide.

The RS3 immediately drew me in and step by step I knew I wanted one ...... desired one, so am changing a few months early.
All the other factors then stacked up .... price, spec, performance, test drive, on-track experience etc etc and I just had to have one :)

The RS3 is a car I am seriously looking forward to and it genuinley feels like it could be my ideal car ... and 1st RS :greyrs4::sunglasses:

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Bristle Hound
Yeah - it just feels like it can be an on-going debate at times and I wonder why ?

If I like a car I buy it, if not I don't, it really is that simple - I don't go scrutinising or analysing the ins and outs - I look to enjoy the build up and then ownership when I take delivery.

The RS did turn my head though as soon as it was announced and I haven't had that feeling for a few years.
Usually I would be due a change and then I would start looking at what attracts me and then decide.

The RS3 immediately drew me in and step by step I knew I wanted one ...... desired one, so am changing a few months early.
All the other factors then stacked up .... price, spec, performance, test drive, on-track experience etc etc and I just had to have one :)

The RS3 is a car I am seriously looking forward to and it genuinley feels like it could be my ideal car ... and 1st RS :greyrs4::sunglasses:

You do have to compromise on the looks though.
The A/S/RS5 is one of the best looking platform's Audi have produced. Even though it's been on the go for however many years still looks very good.

You do have to compromise on the looks though.
The A/S/RS5 is one of the best looking platform's Audi have produced. Even though it's been on the go for however many years still looks very good.

Yeah fair point, the A5 is without question one of the best looking cars Audi have produced.
More so when you think how long it has been out and still looks good today.
But at least (like you) we can say we've had one and enjoyed it.
A hatch will always struggle to match a coupe on looks though tbh.
I do find the S5 is a large car though at times, especially putting it in the garage re width.
The RS3 will go in a doddle and seat 5 people instead of just 4.
The RS tweaks are enough for me though in the styling department to know I will have something special, plus the soundtrack as noted.
The S5 is a great car though, it will go down as one of my fave's as I am sure your RS will have done too.

Reactions: T-800
Lol @ this thread - wanting to provoke responses :)

Hey at the end of the day .... The S3 is a great car and so is the RS3.

As noted, S3 is a sizeable step up above an S line and RS is a considerable step above the S so it's all relative about which model suits you best and that will bring many factors into play such as lifestyle, driving preference, budget, emotion etc etc.

I've had several Audi's including two S cars and for me the RS3 is worth every penny of its asking price and the car really excites me.
I've also experienced the RS3 first hand on track in the hands of a Pro and when you know what this car is capable of it really is a £40k bargain IMO. The sound it makes just seals the deal it's fantastic ! My TTS didn't make much noise but had great handling & good performance, my S5 is good in a straight line and makes a reasonable sound albeit artificially enhanced (which does slightly annoy me) ... The RS3 ticks every box: incredible performance, superb handling and makes a terrific sound :sunglasses:

If both the S3 and RS3 were free then you can bet that most if not all would choose the RS3 .I think that the only reason all the S3 drivers that say it's not worth the extra is that they can't afford the difference.:yum:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Nimbus265, T-800 and 4 others
If both the S3 and RS3 were free then you can bet that most if not all would choose the RS3 .I think that the only reason all the S3 drivers that say it's not worth the extra is that they can't afford the difference.:yum:

Harsh.....I don't think we need to invent a class system just because some people have aired a view the RS3 in their opinion might not be totally worth the premium over the S3.

I genuinely am debating / weighing up ordering one and have questioned the differences between the two and have sought other people's thoughts and feelings on the matter (see thread....http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-worth-the-premium-over-the-s3.253258/)

It isn't all about money. I was already to order before I test drove one last week, but I guess I need to have a few more drives in it to be 100 % convinced.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanamaS3 and Snake Pliskin
I don't think it matters who thinks what about the RS3, I was caught up in reading what every body else thought about them saying they handle poop and all the rest but at the end of the day its not a track car its a road car and i drove one for myself then ordered one... Simples if you like them and can afford one then why not?

Never been in a S3 as for me they look too standard to an A3 but the next man may love this an order one.

The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Ozmosis and DAYTONA 500
Harsh.....I don't think we need to invent a class system just because some people have aired a view the RS3 in their opinion might not be totally worth the premium over the S3.

I genuinely am debating / weighing up ordering one and have questioned the differences between the two and have sought other people's thoughts and feelings on the matter (see thread....http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-worth-the-premium-over-the-s3.253258/)

It isn't all about money. I was already to order before I test drove one last week, but I guess I need to have a few more drives in it to be 100 % convinced.
Not harsh at all or inventing a class system I don't own an RS3 anymore or have one on order ,you've just gotta read all the negative comments made about the RS3 most of which are coming from S3 owners in fact some S3 owners that aren't happy with their S3 and persist in making negative comments about their S3's.

Reactions: T-800 and Snake Pliskin
Not harsh at all or inventing a class system I don't own an RS3 anymore or have one on order ,you've just gotta read all the negative comments made about the RS3 most of which are coming from S3 owners in fact some S3 owners that aren't happy with their S3 and persist in making negative comments about their S3's.

Haha I'm one of those S3 owners!

Bounce.....bounce......bounce

Reactions: veeeight
I don't think it matters who thinks what about the RS3, I was caught up in reading what every body else thought about them saying they handle poop and all the rest but at the end of the day its not a track car its a road car and i drove one for myself then ordered one... Simples if you like them and can afford one then why not?

Never been in a S3 as for me they look too standard to an A3 but the next man may love this an order one.

The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

You did the right thing and formed you're own opinion and I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you're car arrives ,a lot of this RS3 negativity on this forum is just sour grapes .

Reactions: Rs1 and T-800
I'm just interested to know wether anybody like myself has drove the new RS3 and been massively underwhelmed by it?
If you look back through the threads over the last year, you will find the same tired responses to the same tired question.....

simple, If you don't like it - don't buy one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scotty2011, RYuill, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
Just shows that Audi haven't properly addressed any of the underlying handling issues between the S3 and R, and even with a 2.5L litre lump and 10k premium the RS3 still gets spanked.

Just shows that Audi haven't properly addressed any of the underlying handling issues between the S3 and R, and even with a 2.5L litre lump and 10k premium the RS3 still gets spanked.
Golf r looks crap and boring... But like all golfs

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Golf r looks **** and boring... But like all golfs

Agreed, I wouldn't buy one. Just a shame that the RS3 hasn't got the wow factor like it had the first time it came out.

The current model isn't aggressive enough, is too much like an S3 and clearly doesn't have the performance/handle characteristics to make it worth the money.

Lot of yawning going on, your RS3's making you want to fall asleep ? :p

Visionthing, I assume you have driven an RS3?

Some of us with S3s have found a significant difference in handling on the roads we drive on....

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Rs1 and RGBARGEE
Lot of yawning going on, your RS3's making you want to fall asleep ? :p
Visionthing probably drives a reliant robin....probably thinks the little reliant has wow factor

Reactions: Nimbus265 and RGBARGEE
Lot of yawning going on, your RS3's making you want to fall asleep ?
No - the simple fact is that there are threads and threads of this same old rs3 vs (insert anything you like) drivel, and to be frank, it is boring. The link you posted to has been posted at lease twice before over the last month and both threads ended up in golf vs rs3 willy waving. It would have been simpler to look through the old threads and see if there was anything meaningful that could gave been added.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Seeing as I do not anticipate being in a situation where I will be racing a Golf R round a track ... I think I will sleep easy :)

Reactions: GRE57Y, monopole, Rs1 and 5 others
haven't they just recalled all them VW 's, something about fibbin :whistle2::whistle2::nogarors4:

Reactions: Rs1 and RGBARGEE