Facelift RS3 Lowering options

The mss kit fitted?...... let me know how you get on and if you get rubbing with load?..... got mine fitted but don’t think I will lower it

Before what.... they look the same bud
lowering :grimacing:

MSS Kit fitted and about a 20mm drop.

There was a little rubbing when on full lock in reverse, where the tyre catches the arch liner vents. Not a big deal and I reckon once 1mm off the tyres it wont do it. This was at standard height. Maybe a 235/30 tyre wouldn't catch as the profile is 3mm smaller (I think thats right) - problem with 235/30 is limited choice of tyres.

Does the same thing now dropped. Will take a look in the daylight to see how easy it would be to shave a smidgen off them - probably only 3-4 of the vent bits needed.

MSS kit
Alignment
Mag Reset

Last edited:
Was the ‘catching’ worse once lowered.....
As yours did onnstock height mine does the same thing... but almost gone now so your right I bit of tyre wear will sort it...... like I said I doubt I’ll lower it... but getting mag reset on Friday.... as often they are well off from factory anyway

Reactions: NevMan
Yes catching in stock setup and still in lowered setup, no other issues (so far).

You may want to lower it, it looks spot on :sunglasses: Not the best pic as its dark but happened to be quite bright under the light so grabbed a shot.

Attachments

• lowered.jpg
    lowered.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 667
Reactions: Rahmon_22
Hmm let me know what the ride I.S like please..... don’t wanna be shaking the kids and missus brains out.... already got a car that does that no problem..... lol
Stance looks spot on

Oh god I said I wouldn’t do this and I’m contemplating already!!!!!!!!

Wish I could have a car that I just don’t fiddle with:bye:

Reactions: NevMan and AudiNutta
Oh god I said I wouldn’t do this and I’m contemplating already!!!!!!!!

Wish I could have a car that I just don’t fiddle with:bye:
Dont we all eh ...

Ride is actually pretty good, very similar to the Revo wheels I had on, a little firmer of course but not "hard", less so the Focus RS for example.

Fitting .. ? Took it to AKS Tuning to have them installed

Yes catching in stock setup and still in lowered setup, no other issues (so far).

You may want to lower it, it looks spot on :sunglasses: Not the best pic as its dark but happened to be quite bright under the light so grabbed a shot.

Hm, are you sure the car in stock setup catches? It shouldn’t?!

Just an update..... had the MSS kit fitted a while back with 245/30/20 oz et45 fitted. As mentioned slight rubbing when going in reverse from the front arches for some strange reason but none in the rear.....

When I had weight in the back I got some rubbing on the rear when going over speed bumps too fast...... this really bugged me. I could see where it was rubbing.... Aoon got around this by changing to S3 rear hubs.

I wasn’t interested in doing that!!!

I didn’t want to reduce tyre size as I would lose 6mm contact surface.... everyone recommends 235’s on a 20 inch for the rear with 8.5 wheels

So I took the rear wheels to a machining company to adjust the rear ET by 5mm taking the et on the rearwheels to 50.....

I have no rubbing with load now..... I’m sooo happy

So my thread got bumped up.... great!

Thanks Ed.... I have been given the green light by my underwriters this week so I am going to Tom Wrigley Performance for the track version of the MSS kit suspension to be fitted in the next few weeks.

Yes I have the track version too

Has anyone looked into the KW adjustable springs? They seem the same set up at the MSS but only £460

I had eibach springs on my pfl and fitted them again to my fl within a week off collection.
Can't fault them, subtle drop and no compromise.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, NevMan, D0C and 2 others
I had eibach springs on my pfl and fitted them again to my fl within a week off collection.
Can't fault them, subtle drop and no compromise.

Looks good. Sportlines or Eibach Pro’s? Guessing the Sportlines

Reactions: UV-RS3
Has anyone looked into the KW adjustable springs? They seem the same set up at the MSS but only £460

I was interested in them also, given such a reputable firm, I’d suspect they are pretty damn good and a chunky 130 quid cheaper than MSS. I fancy a slight drop, 20mm only, maybe even 15 due to to spacers, 25mm and 30mm appears to be the norm and that would cause rubbing.

Correct, Sportline.

Thought so , fitted them on my S3. They worked well, really improved the stance and didint alter the ride that much , although a mag recalibration did help iron out full comfort mode. I found speed bumps were mostly fine, only ever came across 1 that caused me to ground on the plastic stopper behind the front wheels. Otherwise all good. Drop wise on the S3 with Mag ride was minimal on the rear ( 5-10mm ) and about 15mm - 20mm on the front from memory.

Your car looks great with them fitted.

Reactions: UV-RS3
087CAC76 098D 46E1 A94A 5CD87A7E0648

Eibach Pro vs Eibach Sportlines & Audi Mag Ride re-calibration on FL RS3.

I thought I would post this here as it might help future readers.

After having Eibach Sportlines fitted on my previous S3 and being very impressed. Read article here

I knew it would be something that I would very much like to do my FL RS3 at some point. This was especially true when I recently parked next to a very nice Golf GTI Club Sport which had a lovely stance and made my car look incredibly high in comparison. The seed was already sewn but parking next to this car made it flower far quicker than I had expected and the mod itch had struck!

3424E49E 83B2 4E40 87F6 3E36B493F13F

But with the additional mass of the 5 cylc engine over the front axle compared to the 2 litre lump in the S3 and with the shockingly poor state of our roads I wanted to re-investigate possible options. Would lowering the car ruin the comfort level and highlight the bad roads? Would lowering the car bring unwanted attention? Could it be done in an OEM+ fashion?

After driving the car for about 6 weeks I really liked the general level of comfort the car offered with the Mag Ride set to comfort setting, despite having 19’s all round and having the larger 255 set up on the front. It was something I did not want to sacrifice. Dynamic was great but a little too harsh for all of the time and especially with kids or passengers in the back although on a spirited drive on your own truly superb. (although I knew there might be room for improvement). My FL RS3 had so far never exhibited the bouncy castle ride that some PFL cars are known for so overall I was pleased with the ride and damping that the stock FL car had. I just wanted to improve the stance without sacrifices to either end of the spectrum between comfort and dynamic modes. I also wanted to find a solution that looked OEM+ and did not want the slammed look or any future issues with rubbing.

The car would be used on the road and with the current state of the UK road network I was very much focused on compliancy and suppleness but with all the control I had previously experienced with uprated springs.

So I knew I needed to try to keep as much of the comfort as possible whilst obtaining a suitable drop to improve the cars stance and if possible maintain or even improve dynamic mode. I wanted to keep the Audi Mag ride functionality and ensure there was a significant difference between settings without any compromises. No mean feat thats for sure.

Like many things, there can be a wide spectrum cost wise for spring and suspension set ups. I didn’t want to go crazy and fit a fully adjustable MSS kit, but at the same time fit a poor/ sub standard or cheap item to an otherwise great car. Having used Eibach previously and being impressed by them it really was an obvious choice for me again, especially at their price point ( circa £220 a set ) however I was intrigued about the differences between the Pro and Sportline variances.

The Eibach website states that the

Pro-Kit is the perfect answer for most popular road vehicles. The springs works with stock dampers and dramatically improves both a vehicle's performance and appearance. The Pro-Kit lowers the car’s centre of gravity, reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and excessive nose dive under braking.

Lowering the car:

Front - 20mm drop
Rear - 10mm drop

The Sportline in contrast is the extreme-performance spring set created for the extreme enthusiast.

The spring for one who craves a racecar attitude for maximum street performance with the lowest possible drop (according to the Eibach website), but with the exceptional ride quality you expect from Eibach.

Engineered with the same care as the Pro-Kit springs, The Sportline springs dramatically reduce squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and nose-dive under braking.

Lowering the car:

Front - 20-25mm drop
Rear - 15-20mm drop

So what did I choose this time?- You can probably guess..::

I took the plunge !

9F908F27 7317 4FE9 A289 4D191F7F14BA

Eibach Pro’s fitted.

The result is a subtle but effective drop of about 10-18mm all round from a stock height. On my car with Audi Mag Ride the stock height was circa 470mm from floor to wheel arch. This was actually identical to the stock height measurements I took with my previous FL S3 on Mag ride. So I would be able to make some general comparisons in both stance, drop and ofcourse ride comfort and control.

Stock heights - Front
BF3E453B DF29 4497 B796 DDE609BFB332

Rear - Stock Height
22502EB4 F811 4C3D 884F 97797B90E494

With the Eibach Pro’s fitted to the FL RS3 its now appx 452mm floor to wheel arch. I also chose the Eibach Pros rather than the Sportlines as they come as black springs for a start ( compared to bright red on the Sportlines ) so offer a very stealthy upgrade to stock. The Pro’s seem to offer a similar drop albeit 5mm or so less drop, especially on the rear but balance this with superb comfort levels and incredible control when cornering, to offer what I would describe as an OEM+ offering.

Here is a comparison of the drop between Sportlines and Pro’s on an Audi Mag ride car.

Front - After fitting springs- Pros top / Sportlines bottom.
D4EE6987 E431 43F5 8C66 803CEBC5F289

Rear. Pros top / Sportlines bottom
9A5845D2 8A72 4002 9CF1 FF053CD2F783

Comfort was excellent with the springs fitted, Dynamic was also good, but I knew from previous experience with the Audi Mag ride that a re-calibration would put the icing on the cake and provide total control to the top and bottom ranges of the damper extension. Especially with the new springs dropping the car around 18mm on the front and circa 10+mm on the rear.

Re-Calibration of Audi Mag Ride.

@DJAlix from Vagcarcoding was my first point of call for the re-calibration. We went out in the car with the Eibach Pros’s fitted for a before comparison. Alex was impressed with the springs and noted that Comfort was both controlled and very pleasant over everything bar the very worst of roads. Dynamic setting again was very good but your eyes had to be on full alert for pot holes and in perfections in the road. We both felt that the Eibach Pros were once again an excellent spring just like the Sportlines produced by Eibach. They were however marginally more forgiving over the worst of bumps and compliant over speed bumps. However you could feel the top and bottom of the dampers not quite controlling the very furthest edge of the range of movement, once again similar to the Sportlines I had fitted to the S3. The springs were excellent but not totally accepted and in unison with the car. The car had a sporty and flat/ stiff feel in Dynamic ( which I’m sure some may actually love ! but it wasnt fully controllled ) and with it came a bounce / jerkiness to the man moobs which was not to my liking over anything but smooth tarmac. :) :)

Resolution

Re-calibrating the cars mag ride and adjusting the settings that are stored by the factory to the new ride height would ensure that the car knew it was lower. I was convinced this would be a night and day difference based on previous experience. We went for a test drive and within 50 yards we could feel the difference and I was proved right. Alex and I both agreed the ride was now superb on the Eibach Pro’s and the handling was great for road use in both comfort and dynamic settings. The re-calibration had brought full control back over the cars springs and allowed the dampers to function as they were intended. Dynamic is usable just about all of the time providing a supportive yet compliant ride and comfort is ... what else can I say...comfortable and provides a very pleasant place to whaft away the miles after a hard busy days work. Once again I was very happy with the cars new ride height and comfort levels. More info on the Mag ride setting procedure can be found on my original post here:

Thoughts and conclusions.

Its still early days with the Eibach Pros, and I’m sure they have a little bedding in to do. However I am amazed and very pleased to report that they have done what Eibach claimed. They have lowered the cars centre of gravity, reduced the front wheel arch gap that I really wanted to correct and completely retained the level of comfort and precision that I demanded. Turn in is excellent and the ability to glide over minor in perfections in the road is phenomenal for a lowered car. (Ok I know its not slammed but circa 20mm drop on the front is noticeable ). The Pro’s offer all this in a very stealthy stock looking package that only a very keen eye under the car might spot. They are very much an OEM+ bit of kit.

The Sprtlines on the other hand offer 85% of the comfort of the Pro’s, but come as bright red springs. Yes the Sportlines do offer a further drop but it is negligible at the front (2-5mm ) and marginal at the rear 5-10mm.

1AA8CE71 D8FE 4BC3 8778 85B54468B0D5

If you are looking for an OEM+ look that provide great comfort and control then the Pros are probably for you. If you want a bit more drop and are willing to sacrifice 10-15% comfort yet not loose it entirely then the Sportlines are for you.

In my eyes the Eibach Pro’s really do seem to offer the best of both worlds, comfortable and compliant yet sporty when required.

To be honest I fail to see how you could be disappointed with either set of springs and what can be accomplished with a Mag Ride re-calibration.

What are you waiting for !.... I love how mine looks and drives !

0B4B2E4C 5AA9 4053 8597 3579A46FE996

6593C9E0 895C 4C4E 8CE3 5C7D431E2D3E

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: Roxman87, Scottkcollins, dp_motley and 20 others
@jungle650 Quick question for ya... Did you have to trim the front strut bump stop with the Eibach Pro Kit? Thanks!

Last edited:
I had them professionally fitted. But to the best of my knowledge that wasnt required.

Regds
Jungle

When you look at the eibach website all there springs are for non leveling cars. What spring codes did you use?

When you look at the eibach website all there springs are for non leveling cars. What spring codes did you use?

I asked the question before ordering them.
They are compatible with Mag Ride cars.
You will need re calibration of mag ride after
@DJAlix can assist with this.
32fd92e7f62b126214c958dcc7b379f3.png

Reactions: jungle650 and DJAlix
KW HAS kit on mag ride, probably too soft for track but perfect for my daily

Attachments

• 20180621_193157.jpg
    20180621_193157.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 20180621_075622.jpg
    20180621_075622.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 20180621_075637.jpg
    20180621_075637.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 453
Reactions: NevMan and FBF01
I have fitted Eibach Sportsline springs to my car yesterday and there is a knocking noise at low speed when I turn. Getting them realigned tomorrow and hope this stops the problem. I can see the car visibly rise and fall in the front when I turn the wheel so hoping this is just a short term issue.

Reactions: Deep penetrator
I went with the Eibach Pro kit and have had no issues. Very happy with the amount of drop.

I had the very same issue with knocking sound at low speed turning the wheel. Considering moving to coilovers instead now as it did it with both the Sportline and also Pro Kit!

Sorry to hear this.

I have never had any issues on my cars.

Just a thought... and I’m sure you have checked this but.....

The noise at low speed turning / speed bumps isn't something as silly as the rear parcel carpeted floor moving up and down where its been disturbed during fitment etc of the springs but not correctly seated.?

It can make quite a noise if not fitted flush especially over bumps.

Jungle

Same here no issues......

Although I fitted them myself as I don’t trust anyone to work on my cars.

Reactions: Seanix and jungle650
I think I have found the reason for the knocking. The plastic casing on the front springs was taken off before they were fitted. They said the originals didn’t have it so they thought it should come off. Have the wheels professionally aligned this morning and they told me this had been done. Booked in for Monday to get this sorted.

Reactions: V6_Man and jungle650
I think I have found the reason for the knocking. The plastic casing on the front springs was taken off before they were fitted. They said the originals didn’t have it so they thought it should come off. Have the wheels professionally aligned this morning and they told me this had been done. Booked in for Monday to get this sorted.

So they removed these...

bc9852bd809cf3c48d00d62779c2b68c.jpg

Reactions: jungle650

Yep that wont help leaving them off !

Reactions: Justin Whitehouse
The car will creak like a good ‘un without them.

Reactions: Justin Whitehouse
How much water condensation do you have come off the bottom of your car after driving it. Is it normal to get a fair bit, but a small amount can look a lot on a drive!

None as a result of lowering

Aircon can shed its moisture a fair bit so this may be what your seeing......