1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Maintenance work on Tuesday 7th April

Due to some much needed work to the servers we will be going off line for a couple of hours on Tuesday 9:30am.

Sorry for the inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice

Facelift RS3 Lowering options

Christurbo Oct 21, 2017

1. Justin Whitehouse

Justin Whitehouse Member

No not as a result of lowering but never had a car that dropped this much water!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. T-800

T-800 Guest

The Aircon pipe in the engine bay also creates a lot of condensation when the system is in use.

Same on our Golf GTD.

4. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 quattro Audi A3 Black Edition

Interesting as I was going to create a new thread to ask for some opinions. My A3 is 8V, Sportback Sport but without Sport suspension. It is neither am S or an RS but have had this creaking noise issue at low speeds especially on these ones:

[​IMG]

The car has been with Oxford Audi 4 times since I bought it in April and is going in again on 21st. I can see that the car has the plastic casing however, as you mentioned removing it will make the car creak like a bit*h. I am considering lowering as an option maybe on Pro-Kit.

My question to you us dudiwering fix the issue for you, what did you do to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. larbel

larbel Well-Known Member Team Sepang saloon Audi S3

I highly doubt that's the reason, but keep us posted if it fixes it? The plastic casing is there to prevent creasing when going over bump etc, but not a certain must... And you're experiencing low speed creasing WHILE turning? My installer did everything correctly and with the rubber sleeve intact, but mine's still making the clicking sound when turning at very low speed, even after replacing the strut mount and bearing on 2nd check. It's actually a pretty wide spread problem for SOME lowering springs and pretty sure I just found the reason after going back and forth with Eibach Germany, I have the fix, but waiting for back stocked new bearings just in case, will post if it's the case if I'm able to fix it then.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  6. T-800

T-800 Guest

Car fitted without spring sleeve was noisy as hell when turning the wheel at low speed/standstill
    [​IMG]

Sleeve fitted to spring and car is quiet
    [​IMG]

7. Justin Whitehouse

Justin Whitehouse Member

Thanks. I have to drive 140 miles to MRC on Tuesday but can’t get the springs done until the afternoon. Will this apart from the noise do any damage, doesn’t make any noise when driving at any speed?

8. larbel

Would have to disagree, the sleeve is there as a pre-caution, majority of the lowering springs out there H&R, VWR, 034 etc etc, none of them come with sleeves and not necessarily make any noise at lower speed/standing still when turning, the sleeves are there to eliminate possible VERTICAL movement creaking, it just has nothing to do with turning, and certainly won't be noisy as hell without. There's a simple logical explanation for the clicking/creaking noise at low speed turning which I'll post once I have confirmation after the bearing comes in... Not trying to be a smart a$$, but there's a reason why I can't post now...

Seanix and V6_Man like this.
  9. Justin Whitehouse

Justin Whitehouse Member

Why not.

10. T-800

T-800 Guest

Maybe you aren’t trying to be a smart ****.....am not bothered.

However I have first hand experience of the RS3 with these pro springs fitted without the sleeve and it does indeed make noise when turning the wheel.
    At low speed and indeed at a standstill.
    As soon as the sleeve is fitted the springs make no noise.

Even some MSS now come with the sleeve
    [​IMG]

Justin Whitehouse likes this.
  11. larbel

Not really sure if we’re talking about the same noise, and honestly, that’s really not what these sleeve are for, mine has the sleeve and it’s still making the creaking at low speed turns... but as long as it works for you :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. T-800

T-800 Guest

I understand what you are saying about the vertical issue and why the sleeve is there, all I’m saying is in my experience when these sleeves are left off the RS3 eibach pros the noise from the steering at low speed and indeed at a standstill is terrible, it can be heard inside the car and when you turn the wheel with your fingers touching the spring, you can ‘feel’ the noise through the spring coil your fingers are touching........

14. larbel

I totally get what you’re saying too, and I know it’s your experience and understanding, but the sleeve might not have been the cause of your noise neither is my supposedly fix, low speed turning noise could be the top nut not tighten to spec giving the bearing and spring some play and the noise.. So, it might have been when you install the sleeve you also tighten it enough to eliminate the play but not cause of the sleeve... Just my 2 cents...

15. Justin Whitehouse

Justin Whitehouse Member

I have the Sportsline not the Pros but don’t suppose this makes any difference. There are other things to check on mine and they are being looked at this morning now so will report back. Thanks for all the thoughts.

16. T-800

T-800 Guest

Top nut torqued up both times.

Second time only difference was the plastic sleeve, noise stopped.

There is no play in the spring or top bearing once the strut is reassembled properly.

17. larbel

There’s a purpose for each component, all I’m saying is the sleeve is for vertical movement creaking, there’s just no mechanical connection for these sleeve to have been able to elminate any turning noise... just saying... bottom line, you’re all set, that’s what it counts right? Am really not trying to stir up or argue on anything, I’ll just stop here hehe

18. T-800

T-800 Guest

I agree Larbel

Sleeves are to stop slap/drag

All my point was ever stating is that I found leaving the sleeve off caused them to make noise.

Even eibach technical said the sleeve must be left on and in the exact position it is shipped in, which is pretty much where the factory foam cup inset finishes the sleeve starts and goes around 1 full coil.....

I was surprised too by how the sleeve made such a difference to the turning motion of the strut, when in reality the spring is fixed into the strut, probably the fact that the bottom 2 coils are rubbing as the strut pivots /angle changes and the sleeve stops them rubbing.....

19. Justin Whitehouse

Justin Whitehouse Member

So I now have the sleeve on both front springs and it has made a massive difference but still have a slight noise on the left hand side when stationary/slow moving. I’m hoping that I can bed it in by taking it for a good run tomorrow both to and from MRC....

T-800 likes this.
  20. Justin Whitehouse

Justin Whitehouse Member

Well the creaking issues are still there but I think I have found the answer or at least the Audi tech told me of a raised issue by Audi on this problem which sounded very plausible. If you look the image, part 3 has the issue so the fix is to grease the top of this and the bottom of the mounting and supposedly this resolves the issue...... Told I don't have to dismantle to do this so will jack the car up lift the dust casing and apply the grease. Fingers crossed this works but makes far more sense than the bearings being worn on a car that has done 4000 miles...............

Attached Files:

21. FBF01

FBF01 Well-Known Member

Emmanuele Springs fitted earlier today

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_6207.jpg
      IMG_6207.jpg
      File size:
      104.6 KB
      Views:
    X3man, dno_uk, ImyRs3 and 2 others like this.
  22. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Panther Team Nardo Audi RS3 TTRS

Looks much better!

FBF01 likes this.
  23. FBF01

FBF01 Well-Known Member

Yeh. Does look good. Was thinking of raising the rear 5mm as the front gap does look slightly bigger in comparison , but chuffed with the result

D0C likes this.
  24. FBF01

FBF01 Well-Known Member

25. FBF01

FBF01 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Better photo here...

Marshy, X3man and ImyRs3 like this.
  26. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Very nice mate

FBF01 likes this.
  27. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Panther Team Nardo Audi RS3 TTRS

Looks spot on!

FBF01 likes this.
  28. Bazz-RS3

Bazz-RS3 New Member

Really nice ride.

29. Bazz-RS3

Bazz-RS3 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with vibrations after lowering and mounting spacers 10mm each side? I mounted a H&R set with H&R spacers but when doing 150km/h the car vibrates.

30. MaxBoostMRC

MaxBoostMRC Member

That sounds like the wheels are out of balance.

31. jungle650

jungle650 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S tronic Audi RS3 quattro MQB Platform

I agree. I had zero issues with my spacers ( 8mm hubcentric H&R ) . Double check they are all mounted flush and secure then get you wheels balance checked.

32. Tuttivini

Tuttivini Member

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but was this clicking/squeaking sound the same as described in my topic (you can hear it in the video):
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...owering-with-eibach-springs-videoclip.415858/

I hope you guys can help me to get rid of this little clicking/squeaking sound.

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement