RS3 Honeycomb Grill Fitment S3

Timba85

Reaction score
Cheers!
I just tried to fit a RS honeycomb grill to my S3 Sedan.
I knew that I would be faced with some foam and a silver bar behind the bumper which needs to be painted or wrapped black to prevent shimmering through the new grill.
But what was pretty new to me is the shown tube inside the foam bar. What is it?
A crash sensor to temper a crash with a pedestrian ? Or is it the airbag sensor ?
I could hide that tube but I'm unsure if its security relevant to leave it stick into the foam.

Attachments

• bump.jpg
    bump.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 566
  • foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 507
I believe yellow plugs usually indicate something with safety implications. It looks like an air-pressure activated switch, presumably crushing the foam would force air down the tube and activate the sensor. So yes, it's probably something to do with airbags.

Reactions: Timba85
One will be air temp sensor and the other is crash sensor

This could be interesting.
I'm planning on fitting the rs grill next month to my s3. (Too much chrome for my liking)

Can't the foam not stay in place or will it be too noticeable behind the grill?

This could be interesting.
I'm planning on fitting the rs grill next month to my s3. (Too much chrome for my liking)

Can't the foam not stay in place or will it be too noticeable behind the grill?

No you definetely need to remove it :(
Its visible and it wont fit.

If that the case. What do you do with the air pipe hose thing and any cables. Hide them? But won't that effect what ever they do?

If you hide it, your Airbag will not be triggered if you Crash.
I need to add that mine is a german model. Might be that it's unique ?!

If you hide it, your Airbag will not be triggered if you Crash.
I need to add that mine is a german model. Might be that it's unique ?!

That's not good. I wonder what the upcoming rs3 will have then.

Ill have to do a bit more research.

Mine didn't have a tube behind the foam.
Just took the foam off and painted the bar black

Reactions: khoughton88
Mine didn't have a tube behind the foam.
Just took the foam off and painted the bar black

maybe the key difference between S3 & A3. Lucky you ;) Looks good, seen that pic on Instagram!

I was considering an RS3 style grill, but after seeing one on an s-line at the shops today, I think I'll give it a miss, looks ok from a distance but up close it looks to thin, almost like chicken wire! Everything behind it looks to exposed. I think I'll consider a genuine RS3 grill when they're available.

Reactions: khoughton88
So anybody else know if the s3 foam is different to the a3 behind the grill?

Could throw a big spanner in works if the tube is to do with airbag or any safety feature.

I just spoke to a Audi mechanical guy. It is definitely a crash & airbag sensor which never should be removed or hidden.
open question why my S3 differs from Marcs A3 and if Country specific models differ as well.

Did he say if the UK s3 is different to the rest of Europe.

Hoping so as I would really like to fit the honeycombe grill. Either the oem rs4 in a couple month or an aftermarket one

I've still been thinking about this and if you look at most new Audi rs cars the rs grill does have a plastic back and isn't see through in the centre.

Which makes me think.... If I were to get an aftermarket grill as I'm not paying the £500 plus for the oem one just yet, all I would need to do it get some decent black plastic to put in the centre, where the grey is on the standard s3 grill. And even maybe space it off the back of the grill a few mm dependant how close it is the the foam. That wa no needed for painting or wrapping.

I will wait for the availability of the RS3 parts. Hope this is feasible