RS3 grille on S3? facelift model

Hi has any body who have done this retrofit got the 2 grille parking sensor brackets available to sell please. It look likes the rs grilles gave them built in ? Just a long shot

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, in all honesty I don’t think it’s something I’d attempt myself, probably ask my local Audi bodyshop if they’d fit it for me

If you're looking to swap the grille of your S5 my local indie only charged me 1.5 Hours labour to swap them over. Well worth not having to do it myself

Reactions: Bells
If you're looking to swap the grille of your S5 my local indie only charged me 1.5 Hours labour to swap them over. Well worth not having to do it myself
Not got my S5 anymore it’s gone now, I’m back in an S3 but yeah would definitely take it somewhere for any sort of work like that :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jonnie
Not got my S5 anymore it’s gone now, I’m back in an S3 but yeah would definitely take it somewhere for any sort of work like that :tearsofjoy:

Oh nice one, what made you change back if you don't mind me asking? I saw a Mythos black S3 Sportback at my local dealer recently and it made me wonder if I made the wrong choice getting the S5. As much as I love the S5 it's not the most fun car to drive (friends have said it's too much of an old man's car for a 23 year old) so making the swap to an S3 has been playing at the back of my mind.

Oh nice one, what made you change back if you don't mind me asking? I saw a Mythos black S3 Sportback at my local dealer recently and it made me wonder if I made the wrong choice getting the S5. As much as I love the S5 it's not the most fun car to drive (friends have said it's too much of an old man's car for a 23 year old) so making the swap to an S3 has been playing at the back of my mind.
Well I had an S3 before I switched so an S5 but fancied a change and wanted to try a V6. My S5 came up at a great price at a BMW dealer as a p/x so couldn’t say no at the time :tearsofjoy: Only had it 7 months and did 10k miles but I did enjoy it, was a great cruiser if a little boring. I know what you’re saying a bit of a Dad’s car though I’m only 24. Didn’t really consider changing but I started looking at buying a house early next year and wanted to free up some money, plus running costs weren’t great only getting like 7/8mpg on the way to work...

So I started looking at prices and managed to get a decent cash price at a dealer down south which meant I only lost £500 on what I originally paid, and found a S3 in pretty much my old spec at another Audi dealer for a decent price too plus 2 year warranty

Main things I’ve noticed are gearbox is sharper in the S3 with it being a dual clutch, S3 is not quite as comfy but feels more agile in the corners and is faster off the mark but doesn’t have the same in gear shove that a S5 has. Overtaking you have to be a bit more focused on what gear you are in with the S3, although 0-60 is very similar on both. Finally exhaust note wise the V6 sounds better obviously but I don’t think it’s as loud as the S3 especially 17/18 reg’s before emissions changes, lots of people have said my S3 seems sportier and seem to prefer it, both nice cars though don’t get me wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnie
Well I had an S3 before I switched so an S5 but fancied a change and wanted to try a V6. My S5 came up at a great price at a BMW dealer as a p/x so couldn’t say no at the time :tearsofjoy: Only had it 7 months and did 10k miles but I did enjoy it, was a great cruiser if a little boring. I know what you’re saying a bit of a Dad’s car though I’m only 24. Didn’t really consider changing but I started looking at buying a house early next year and wanted to free up some money, plus running costs weren’t great only getting like 7/8mpg on the way to work...

So I started looking at prices and managed to get a decent cash price at a dealer down south which meant I only lost £500 on what I originally paid, and found a S3 in pretty much my old spec at another Audi dealer for a decent price too plus 2 year warranty

Jesus, 7/8mpg?? I thought I was bad getting 18mpg on my commute. :tearsofjoy:

My trouble with looking for an S3 is I wouldn't want to give up things like Matrix headlights, virtual cockpit, and electric+heated seats (can live without the massage function) so with that all chucked in the S3s are knocking on for what I paid for the S5. Might just keep an eye on them to see if something crops up at a bargain price

Jesus, 7/8mpg?? I thought I was bad getting 18mpg on my commute. :tearsofjoy:

My trouble with looking for an S3 is I wouldn't want to give up things like Matrix headlights, virtual cockpit, and electric+heated seats (can live without the massage function) so with that all chucked in the S3s are knocking on for what I paid for the S5. Might just keep an eye on them to see if something crops up at a bargain price
Yeah my commute to work is about 5 miles there and back and it’s usually heavy city traffic so it was bad :tearsofjoy:

I did look at PFL RS3’s too but decided against due to high running costs and I wouldn’t want to loose Virtual Cockpit now after having it for a few years. I wasn’t too fussed about the electric seats and heated is standard on S3’s and if you get SS Seats you still get lumbar. I wasn’t too fussed about matrix headlights at the time but I do miss them a bit now looking back they were quite handy to have, quite a rare option on S3’s though

Last edited:
Hi has any body who have done this retrofit got the 2 grille parking sensor brackets available to sell please. It look likes the rs grilles gave them built in ? Just a long shot

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Get then from your local Audi dealer cost $45 each last I remember they just clip in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it yesterday, worked alone. It took me more than 4 hours, but I'm a slow man and I did some other stuff too. Taking the old grille off was the biggest pain, but I managed it. I didn't remove the foam completely and kept the plastic cover in place, but I did trim the foam (approx. 1 cm) and cut off the center-front part of the plastic cover, keeping the rest, so if you look through the grille, you still see the plastic as it should be because the trimmed part is the one behind the number plate.

A good thing was that my car didn't have any headlight washers, so no hoses were attached to the bumper, which made the job a little easier.

A question. There was a plastic part held by a bunch of screws on the upper part of the old grille on the inside. What was it for? It didn't fit the new grille and there wasn't any clips and places to put the screws on the new grille, so I didn't use it. Did you do the same?

Reactions: Lehn
I did it yesterday, worked alone. It took me more than 4 hours, but I'm a slow man and I did some other stuff too. Taking the old grille off was the biggest pain, but I managed it. I didn't remove the foam completely and kept the plastic cover in place, but I did trim the foam (approx. 1 cm) and cut off the center-front part of the plastic cover, keeping the rest, so if you look through the grille, you still see the plastic as it should be because the trimmed part is the one behind the number plate.

A good thing was that my car didn't have any headlight washers, so no hoses were attached to the bumper, which made the job a little easier.

A question. There was a plastic part held by a bunch of screws on the upper part of the old grille on the inside. What was it for? It didn't fit the new grille and there wasn't any clips and places to put the screws on the new grille, so I didn't use it. Did you do the same?

I did exactly the same, I didn't want to remove the foam because of the tube for the crash sensor.

I was able to re-attach the plastic part to the upper part of the grille, I don't think its needed but it did add some rigidity to the grille. My grille had the mounting holes for it so I put it back on for what it was worth.

This is to keep snow and rain out of the intake but the funny thing is that the RS3 doesn't have this. It's discussed in this thread here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/modified-oem-intake-8v-s3.266915/

I've been driving for a long time with this off and with the snow guard removed - no problems so far and no water in the airfilter box.

Reactions: dp_motley
This is to keep snow and rain out of the intake but the funny thing is that the RS3 doesn't have this. It's discussed in this thread here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/modified-oem-intake-8v-s3.266915/

I've been driving for a long time with this off and with the snow guard removed - no problems so far and no water in the airfilter box.
Thanks! Read through the entire thread. Glad there is no reason to worry. Is the snow guard a plastic crate under the airfilter inside the airfilter box?

Thanks! Read through the entire thread. Glad there is no reason to worry. Is the snow guard a plastic crate under the airfilter inside the airfilter box?

Yes but it's positioned closer to the bottom of the filter box rather than to the filter. I would get rid of it if I were you ;)

Yes but it's positioned closer to the bottom of the filter box rather than to the filter. I would get rid of it if I were you ;)
I will, together with the air intake trim, perhaps this weekend if the stars align :)

Saw red S3 with rs3 gril the other day and it did NOT look right on S3.

I thought about doing myself but after seeing a wannabe RS3 definitely no. Plus my friend with RS3 will laugh at me as I'm already missing a cylinder

Reactions: rashu786

I thought about doing myself but after seeing a wannabe RS3 definitely no. Plus my friend with RS3 will laugh at me as I'm already missing a cylinder

Was it with or without the black optics back? Because I think it's imporant for the S3 to have this pack together with the RS grill otherwise I agree it looks odd.

I got my mirrors and window trims wrapped and the small grill alu inserts plasti dipped.

I just need to fit my black parking sensor rubber rings and get the crash bar painted with Hammerite since normal spray paint can't withstand stone chips.

Upload 2020 1 8 14 13 39

Reactions: allanmb and Bells
Agree with @Lehn , it should be with the black optics package. Below is my S-line. However, I think the oem S3 grille looks good and I would unlikely change it, but I had a SE/S-line grille which I didn't like.

RS3 Grille 5

Was it with or without the black optics back? Because I think it's imporant for the S3 to have this pack together with the RS grill otherwise I agree it looks odd.

I got my mirrors and window trims wrapped and the small grill alu inserts plasti dipped.

I just need to fit my black parking sensor rubber rings and get the crash bar painted with Hammerite since normal spray paint can't withstand stone chips.

View attachment 196066

Mate your car looks evil!!! I would not want that in my rear view!

My car is the same colour ss yours but chrome all around which I'm starting to hate.

Hmmm where did you get the grill?

Looking mean with all the pics, inspired me to add some of my after shots with the grill on

0032ea16442eb43798cb6b45a5a90589.jpg
d921b678599963a1f312a6ae264012ae.jpg
a3e36292a19d81833e12b9a9564bfb03.jpg
46a83bf56c7caea269b9051ca1c6af08.jpg
2378b6c25e38eebf7c77a7b9b5960b82.jpg
f4257b3b4ba6ee8f31582901d9ba15e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone! I am in the process of purchasing a 17+ S3 and want to do this mod. Do the US cars have the pedestrian sensors? (I ask because my current car only comes with such a sensor in Europe but not in the US, wondering if it's the same with the 17+ Audi S3's)

Anyone have any recommendations of where to buy these?

Thinking of getting one for my S3 now that lockdown has eased, but prices seem to vary. Been looking at a few on eBay for around £180-200 but don’t know if that’s cheap and it’ll turn out to be naff when it rocks up. I want as OEM as possible ideally.

anyone fit genuine rs3 grill to s3 ?

i got china but you cant fit any other part of this grill so i get genuine one.

Anyone have any recommendations of where to buy these?

Thinking of getting one for my S3 now that lockdown has eased, but prices seem to vary. Been looking at a few on eBay for around £180-200 but don’t know if that’s cheap and it’ll turn out to be naff when it rocks up. I want as OEM as possible ideally.
OEM 1080 :)

china its ok if they send you good one without clear coat drops , i got one for sell . as i purchased OEM for crazy price

Agree!

I got parts of genuine rs3 grill if anyone need anything

missing frame and quattro logo