RS3 gremlins

Beebee-one

Reaction score
I am 3 weeks into ownership and while the car has generally been fantastic, but there have been a couple of incidents which have clouded the experience.

On the first day of ownership after around 150 miles, the car cut out on me just as I was driving out of a local car park (felt like it was running out of fuel). It would not start for 3 or 4 minutes but then it sprang back into life again as if nothing was wrong (after pressing the start button numerous times). I immediately thought that I had done something wrong and dismissed it as a 'glitch'.
Unfortunately 5 days later it did exactly the same thing again, but this time it happened as I pulled out onto a main road. After a few embarassing minutes of blocking the road and directing traffic around my stranded new car, I tried the start button again and it fired back into life. I remember there being an error message on the dash (something about electrical fault) but it reset itself when the car started again.
The car went back to the dealer the next day and I left it with them for a week while I was away on holiday. The dealer performed numerous diagnostic tests during the week but they failed to find the source of the problem, mainly because the two previous incidents did not log a fault code in the ECU.
My car has the Advanced Key with the push button start. This system relies on the car communicating with the key to make everything work (as long long as it is in close proximity with the car) but also acts like an immobilser if it is not close enough. We have now swapped over to using the spare key to see if this cures the problem.

I tried the usual Google approach to see if I could root out anything but found very little - However, I did find that the Auto Express test car (the infamous KW15 GXL) suffered the same fault on one ocassion but it never repeated the problem.

Has anyone else experieced anything like this?

Nope, no problems at all with mine. Almost done 10k miles now.

TX.

Yeah..... I kind of think thats gonna be the theme for most, if not all the replies!:huh:

On the positive side, it's behaved itself so far today (no Basil Fawlty impressions!) and has been absolutely brilliant to drive after a week away from it.

Reactions: Radman
There's a few had this same sounding thing was a feel pressure sensor there 2 or three had it on the rs3 what's app group and there in rs3 oc might be worth asking about

I had the same issue couple of days ago.......Pulled out of a junction and just cut out ....stuck in the middle of the road ........fired up 3-4 minutes later, then cut out 1 minute later .....wouldn't fire up again, then came back to life after 3-4 minutes again, that was about 4 days ago since then no probs......strange

Reactions: Stuart1441 and geo_nr1
I had the same issue couple of days ago.......Pulled out of a junction and just cut out ....stuck in the middle of the road ........fired up 3-4 minutes later, then cut out 1 minute later .....wouldn't fire up again, then came back to life after 3-4 minutes again, that was about 4 days ago since then no probs......strange

Mmmmmm......... seems I am not alone. Your description of the problem sounds exactly the same as mine. The Audi techs seem to think it could possibly be something to do with the Advance Key losing communication with the car which then cuts out the fuel pump like an immobiliser. I swapped to the spare key and so far (fingers crossed) not had any repeat when the car was on test at Audi all last week, the car has also behaved itself over numerous journeys I did today after I collected it.
Do you also have the button start Audi Advance key fitted to yours?

There's a few had this same sounding thing was a feel pressure sensor there 2 or three had it on the rs3 what's app group and there in rs3 oc might be worth asking about

Thanks, I will follow this up and see where it leads me. It's a sporadic fault (the worst kind to have) and is hard to replicate - there are also no fault codes logged either.

Mmmmmm......... seems I am not alone. Your description of the problem sounds exactly the same as mine. The Audi techs seem to think it could possibly be something to do with the Advance Key losing communication with the car which then cuts out the fuel pump like an immobiliser. I swapped to the spare key and so far (fingers crossed) not had any repeat when the car was on test at Audi all last week, the car has also behaved itself over numerous journeys I did today after I collected it.
Do you also have the button start Audi Advance key fitted to yours?

Don't think so - if you take the key away a message appears, car chimes, but it doesn't cut ignition.

Test it, hand the key out of the window, while in D !

I will give the key another look tomorrow and see what happens. I have also trawled the internet for any other Audi group cars with cut out problems and came up with a few that have suffered a similar cutting out issue. They turned out to be faulty fuel pressure sensors. Maybe something worth looking into.

I think you're being very reasonable about this. It's downright dangerous what it's doing. I'd be having it into Audi to sort and demanding an equivalent courtesy car while they sort it.

Hi I know it's a different model vehicle but it is a 16 plate q3 sline quattro but our can bus had a massive failure a couple of times similar to yours died wouldn't start for ages then would. I refused the car back at the dealer and they changed the J519 control module and since has been perfect touch wood had it back 3 weeks now.
Thought I'd share the info as it could be similar. I was getting different controller faults coming up like main beam assist failure, oil level sensor system failure, steering light red turning key did nothing.

German engineering

Hi guys,

I haD my brand new RS3 cut out on me the other day. It's 2 weeks old with 300 miles on the clock. I experienced a judder and the engine cut out. The car then wouldn't start. The EML light appeared so i called out Audi Assistance. 15 Mins later i started the car and the EML disappeared. The fault code was related to low fuel pressure. Audi Leicester can't look at it for another 12 days and are refusing to give me a courtesy car. The supplying dealer didn't return my call after promising me he would so I'm tempted to stick a finger up at Audi and reject the car. I suppose the problem is what do i replace it with!

Hi guys,

I haD my brand new RS3 cut out on me the other day. It's 2 weeks old with 300 miles on the clock. I experienced a judder and the engine cut out. The car then wouldn't start. The EML light appeared so i called out Audi Assistance. 15 Mins later i started the car and the EML disappeared. The fault code was related to low fuel pressure. Audi Leicester can't look at it for another 12 days and are refusing to give me a courtesy car. The supplying dealer didn't return my call after promising me he would so I'm tempted to stick a finger up at Audi and reject the car. I suppose the problem is what do i replace it with!

Well, well, it seems that are a few more RS3 owners experiencing the dreaded cut out problem. Interesting that the fault code is fuel pressure related - exactly what someone else has also suggested.
So far, it looks as if it is only happening to 16 reg plate cars. Maybe a batch of dodgy fuel pressure sensors?

Mine is behaving itself at the moment, but I have to admit that I have a niggly anxiety that it may just randomly do it again anywhere.

My dealer has been very supportive. I returned my car the next day, they supplied a courtesy car and performed extensive diagnostics (unfortunately with no conclusions) while I was away on holiday for a week. We have discussed the the possible hand back of the car if the fault continues (last resort for me though as I absolutely love it) as per the 30 day clause.

Did you buy your car from Leicester Audi? If not, I would get it back to where it was bought.

Reactions: Demo8dan
Well, well, it seems that are a few more RS3 owners experiencing the dreaded cut out problem. Interesting that the fault code is fuel pressure related - exactly what someone else has also suggested.
So far, it looks as if it is only happening to 16 reg plate cars. Maybe a batch of dodgy fuel pressure sensors?

Mine is behaving itself at the moment, but I have to admit that I have a niggly anxiety that it may just randomly do it again anywhere.

My dealer has been very supportive. I returned my car the next day, they supplied a courtesy car and performed extensive diagnostics (unfortunately with no conclusions) while I was away on holiday for a week. We have discussed the the possible hand back of the car if the fault continues (last resort for me though as I absolutely love it) as per the 30 day clause.

Did you buy your car from Leicester Audi? If not, I would get it back to where it was bought.

The breakdown chap seemed to think it was more of a software issue. The car drives fine now so I'm tempted to keep it but it's more of a principal thing at the shoddy service. The supplying dealer seemed very willing to help by collecting the car but i didn't want mine driven 300 miles. The head of business was going to call Leicester to try and put some pressure on them but he didn't call me back as promised on Friday so i've asked them to collect the car from me for a full refund. Let's see what happens...

Reactions: Stuart1441
Perhaps the "old" ones are ok and the pre facelift facelift ones have a problem :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Reactions: Kugaman1, AudiNutta, Beebee-one and 1 other person
Perhaps the "old" ones are ok and the pre facelift facelift ones have a problem :tearsofjoy:

TX.
Cheers TX, love it.

Maybe they will carry it over to the FL (when it finally appears!):grinning:

Info at the mo seems to point to just 2 or 3 low miles (less than 1K) 16 plate cars but there maybe more out there.

Reactions: Terminator x
When were these cars built if its dodgy parts batch, were they all fresh off the line or stock?

Hi guys,

Im pretty sure you have to give them a chance to repair it before you can reject the car?

Im pretty sure you have to give them a chance to repair it before you can reject the car?

Yep did that, but they cant fix a problem they cant find (the diagnostics revealed squat diddly)

For cars that are inside the first 30 days of ownership:
The agreement I have (albeit verbal at this stage) is that if it continues to mis-behave I will give them one more chance to rectify the problem before going down the replacement car route (which will be interesting due to the small matter of you cant order a new one anymore - please dear lord no FL comments here:blink:)
I am not going to get into quoting all the legal stuff, but as I understand it the recent changes to consumer rights in Oct 2015 give us a lot more leverage over the supplier/manufacturer. I am told that each time the dealer takes your car into their workshop inside the first 30 day ownership period, that the 'clock stops' until you get the car back again. This is to prevent unscrupulous dealers holding onto your car over the 30 day period and then taking a different view on your right to return the car.

Outside of the 30 day period...... well thats when you get into the dealer deciding to willy nilly replace anything and everything over a period of months just so you don't reject the car. Hopefully it wont come to that as I really really really like this car!!

I will volunteer to be a guinea pig and happily drive around in one of your lovely RS3's to see if the fault re-occurs for as long as necessary to save you the embarrassment of stopping anywhere.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Beebee-one, Terminator x and 1 other person
@Beebee-one they might let you have one of those lovely nardo and silver demonstrators as a replacement ;)

TX.
Yeah nice one TX.:huh: Wouldn't we just love to own one of those demonstrators!

They have a Nardo but spec isn't great compared to mine, Nardo with full black pack & pano roof would be nice though. The Sepang Blue car they also have has been well spanked by half of London and doesn't have SS seats.
I'll stick with what I have until there is no option to bail out. There is a plan B but it involves going to my fav tuning company.

Last edited:
Beebee-one.I would be straight back to the dealer as the car in this state could actually be unsafe,imagine pulling out onto a dual carriageway and this happens it could be very serious.

Beebee-one.I would be straight back to the dealer as the car in this state could actually be unsafe,imagine pulling out onto a dual carriageway and this happens it could be very serious.

The dealer can't find a problem that does not show up on their diagnostic and I really dont want to let them have it just to thrash around to see if they can replicate the problem.

At the moment all is well (thats probably cursed it now:sadlike:) and there are no signs of any re-occurance......in fact the car is starting to loosen up a bit and is just so nice to drive.

From what I can see from the owners that have experienced the cutting out problem, the cars look to be 2016 registration plates (16 reg) and have only done a few hundred miles when the problem has surfaced. As far as I know, all cars that have had the problem are on the road and still working ie; they are not stuck in a dealer somewhere having loads of bits replaced. Consensus of opinion seems to point towards a possibly issue with fuel pressure sensors but nothing definitive.

I absolutely love my RS3, it's been a long time since I have owned a car that makes you smile so much when you drive it. Having to hand it back would be an absolute last resort for me.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I had exactly this on 1 March . Dealer checked and no fault found. Had dash error message.
Thought the attached camouflaged RS may be of interest

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 288
So another 16reg plate car with a random cut out ...... I also spotted another possible one in a different thread (pic of it on the back of a recovery truck) which also sounds as if it has suffered the same issue. It had the fuel pump replaced.
So what do we have here, a dodgy batch of fuel sensors or some sort of intermittent fuel pump problem?

Whatever it is, it is not what I would expect from a £50K premium brand car. Now that we know that this is beggining to reveal an issue which may possibly affect numerous other cars, I will feed it back to the Master Tech at my dealer and see what they say.

That was 4000 miles ago! Not sure it's worth trying to rubbish the RS3 over!

That was 4000 miles ago! Not sure it's worth trying to rubbish the RS3 over!

The intention of starting this thread was to find out if anyone else has experienced the same problem and maybe (or should I say hopefully) that they had info to share on how to fix it (by having their dealer repair/replace a specific part for example).

I dont understand why any of the above information could be interpreted as as trying to rubbish the RS3? Yes I am annoyed that my car has cut out twice in one week so maybe my post content comes over as being too negative? - not intented to be but apologies if it does.

We all know its a fantastic car, its just that some of them have not been as perfect as we would like.

I was saying in my experience my one glitch wasn't worth rubbishing the car over. It has been really great overall.
There have been many anti RS3 comments but I think most of us owners are generally very happy.

Reactions: Terminator x and strizzle
Well its gone and done it again! :crying:

This time it cut out as I was driving out of the local Sainsbury's car park, luckily it didn't cause too much mayhem other than the embarassment of being stuck across the entrance to the disabled parking! The engine started again after the usual 3 or 4 minute wait and I then drove home.

Called Audi assist to come get the car. Its now in the local Audi workshop.

Will update when I have more info.

Does it come up with any errors on the dash while its in this state of not starting?

German engineering

Does it come up with any errors on the dash while its in this state of not starting?

German engineering

Nope, no recorded error messages - diagnostics also revealed nothing else either. This will probably be a 'replace a part/update the software' approach to see if it cures it.
They wont start work on the car until first thing next week - will post an update as it develops.

As a footnote - despite this 'inconvenience', overall the car has been fantastic to own.

after 22222km worst thing are brakes, shi77y brakes.

Audi replaced them at 16000km but they vibrate a lot when braking.

I may have mentioned this before but we had a similar issue where the car wouldn't start after some journeys, go to a store for example look around get back in and turn key to no crank by engine sometimes waiting 5- 30 mins before it would actually crank and run.
Turned out to be the J519 control unit. They swapped this out and it's been fine since. I'm sure the rs3 and q3 use the same hex-can system.

German engineering

Well its gone and done it again! :crying:

This time it cut out as I was driving out of the local Sainsbury's car park, luckily it didn't cause too much mayhem other than the embarassment of being stuck across the entrance to the disabled parking! The engine started again after the usual 3 or 4 minute wait and I then drove home.

Called Audi assist to come get the car. Its now in the local Audi workshop.

Will update when I have more info.

Interim update:
Dealer did the usual diagnostics and as predicted did'nt find any logged fault codes.... however...they did perform some other tests and found problems with low fuel pressure.They have replaced some parts in the fuel system but I am not exactly sure which bits.
I am working away for next few days and will not be collecting my car until Friday so hopefully be able to provide more details later this week.

Final Update:
Well this has turned out to be interesting and I am glad that I have pursued it with Audi to get the car tested and fixed.

It turns out that there was a fault code logged relating to low fuel pressure (despite being told otherwise earlier in the week) and they have replaced the fuel pressure control unit (I suspect the same part as mentioned in Demo8dan's post above - part number on my service sheet is 025154/Control Unit).
The service technician also told me this morning that they had another RS3 in yesterday with the same fault and that its likely that there will be an Audi bulletin regarding this potential problem (there are other cars reported). Hopefully the new part they have fitted behaves itself!

I hope the above info will help any of you other owners who may have experienced the intermittent cutting out problem.:salute:

Now back to enjoying this utterly brilliant addictive machine!:racer:

Reactions: mister.c.
Final Update:
Well this has turned out to be interesting and I am glad that I have pursued it with Audi to get the car tested and fixed.

It turns out that there was a fault code logged relating to low fuel pressure (despite being told otherwise earlier in the week) and they have replaced the fuel pressure control unit (I suspect the same part as mentioned in Demo8dan's post above - part number on my service sheet is 025154/Control Unit).
The service technician also told me this morning that they had another RS3 in yesterday with the same fault and that its likely that there will be an Audi bulletin regarding this potential problem (there are other cars reported). Hopefully the new part they have fitted behaves itself!

I hope the above info will help any of you other owners who may have experienced the intermittent cutting out problem.:salute:

Now back to enjoying this utterly brilliant addictive machine!:racer:

Glad to hear it's been replaced they told me they just brought out a new version a month before they swapped mine so they knew it was coming guess they are just waiting for them to come back if they fail and replacing them where necessary but obviously playing dumb to it.
Every time you set off now

German engineering

Guys,

There is a story behind all this.

IT IS NOT THE KEY!

Its the fuel system (Mine died and it has a normal key).

My car did this 3 months ago. It was stripped down and checked over by some Renn Sport bods while back at the dealer.

The fix should be a recall after the diag work was done on my car. (Well that was what I was told)

So I'd give Audi a call and ask if you are worried.

Do not ignore it, when mine cut out the first time, it ran incredibly lean before it happened. Which if I was going fast would have been disastrous.

So another 16reg plate car with a random cut out ...... I also spotted another possible one in a different thread (pic of it on the back of a recovery truck) which also sounds as if it has suffered the same issue. It had the fuel pump replaced.
So what do we have here, a dodgy batch of fuel sensors or some sort of intermittent fuel pump problem?

Whatever it is, it is not what I would expect from a £50K premium brand car. Now that we know that this is beggining to reveal an issue which may possibly affect numerous other cars, I will feed it back to the Master Tech at my dealer and see what they say.

That was me.

I had the full fuel system changed.

Pump
Fuel rail
Injectors
Aux pump
Fuel Pressure Reg

It was the Pressure Reg, but I was ******* ****** off at the time and demanded everything was changed. An updated pressure reg should be fitted to all new RS3's.

Guys,

There is a story behind all this.

IT IS NOT THE KEY!

Its the fuel system (Mine died and it has a normal key).

My car did this 3 months ago. It was stripped down and checked over by some Renn Sport bods while back at the dealer.

The fix should be a recall after the diag work was done on my car. (Well that was what I was told)

So I'd give Audi a call and ask if you are worried.

Do not ignore it, when mine cut out the first time, it ran incredibly lean before it happened. Which if I was going fast would have been disastrous.

Hi Waitey,
Sorry to hear you have experienced similar woes with the cutting out.

I have a question: How did you know the engine was running incredibly lean? Did the dealer 's diagnostics reveal the fuelling history?