Facelift RS3 Genuine Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes

Well you are the one making stuff up. Carry on, very funny.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I'm certainly lol'ing at all the "look how wonderful it is" posts.

TX.

This will make your day even better then, I think it sounds utter rubbish in comparison to the PFL! I actually had a little rant with my brother today on Audi TOTALLY removing the downshift pops, what the hell were they thinking.. something my S3 has on it!!

This back and forth battle of willy waving is hopeless! It's an owners club, all here to share the same appreciation of each others cars and not rubbing one car in another's nose. I'm not just talking for those who back the PFL before I start a war. Both have pro's or con's, I'd happily give up the extra power for the noise, hands down. I have a brand new RS3 on order and honestly.. I'm left feeling jealous of those who have the PFL, if I could still go pick up a delivery mileage Sepang PFL I'd have done it long before now.

I am really worried I will be disappointed, I gave the S3 a bit of a spanking on some open roads on the way back from Audi today and I'm still smiling. Totally in love with that car (yep it's a car), I am praying that in 6 months time I don't regret changing because that will be the worst... dreading the day it goes. I'm not changing because I don't like the S3 or because I want more, but just because the RS has always been the dream and I still have a little hope left that it will be as special as my childhood has built it up to be.

Reactions: RedTurtle and Terminator x
Silly really. The RS3 is a wonderful car whether 8P 8V or FL. No need to brag about having the latest as the next one will be along soon and you'll be old news.

TX.

Edit - that was a general "you" and not you @AudiNutta

Reactions: Evotion
Silly really. The RS3 is a wonderful car whether 8P 8V or FL. No need to brag about having the latest as the next one will be along soon and you'll be old news.

TX.

For sure! We are all RS3 owners (well me soon to be), there is no need to compete.. I certainly won't be. We all do and have worked hard to get there, regardless of what generation.
Like you said TX, in a couple of years time the FL will be 'old tat', how the PFL is being made out on times. The PFL is specatacular, the front end is spot on and looks more aggressive than the FL and a lot of that is down to headlights. We can go on like this all day, but it's pointless and is ruining ownership for everyone.. having somebody else put a downer on our cars every time we come on here got old a long time ago.

Time to all be friends and enjoy seeing / discussing both cars without the silly 'mine is better than yours' game. :friends:

Can't wait to see all the RS3's gathered at Combe in 2 weeks, it is going to be an amazing day again :yahoo: For those who aren't going, if it is in any way possible.. go! If you love RS3's, you will see 5 years worth in one day.

Reactions: Evotion and Terminator x
Why do people keep saying the pops are gone? They are not....not as much but definitely getting some hard pops on downshift, especially 4-->3. It's especially pronounced with the secondary cat delete which more markets will not even need to remove.

You know what's really silly? The people jumping up and down whining about missing pops and how slow they are, without even having seen one in the flesh.

If only there was someone who's actually driven both could offer their opinion regarding the differences in sound...

Oh wait, someone did over a month ago...

Synopsis: less pops but sounds much better overall. See? That wasn't so hard:)

Also a good vid to get an idea of sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Evotion
Why do people keep saying the pops are gone? They are not....not as much but definitely getting some hard pops on downshift, especially 4-->3. It's especially pronounced with the secondary cat delete which more markets will not even need to remove.

You know what's really silly? The people jumping up and down whining about missing pops and how slow they are, without even having seen one in the flesh.

If only there was someone who's actually driven both could offer their opinion regarding the differences in sound...

Synopsis: less pops but sounds much better overall. See? That wasn't so hard:)

Also a good vid to get an idea of sound.

There are no downshift pops, at all.

"RS3_page_wolf" on Instagram confirmed that, he stepped out of one and into another. It pops when at a standstill, but he said 100% gone on downshifts.

Well I own one and can dispute that then:)

If you can that's great news, they were very subtle in my S3 until I had the centre silencer taken out.

Fingers crossed I can do the same in the RS.

I'll get a drive in a FL with sports exhaust very soon and will give an honest opinion. I doubt it will be louder. But somewhere close would be nice. It DEFINITELY doesn't pop anywhere near as much (if at all) on downshifts compared to the PFL which IMO is a massive loss. The extra power may make up for this, however.

I'll get a drive in a FL with sports exhaust very soon and will give an honest opinion. I doubt it will be louder. But somewhere close would be nice. It DEFINITELY doesn't pop anywhere near as much (if at all) on downshifts compared to the PFL which IMO is a massive loss. The extra power may make up for this, however.

Having visited the dealer today, they told me that not one dealership in the Listers group has a demo yet. They promised as soon as they hear of one, it will be brought in from wherever it is for a 24 hour loan :D Fingers crossed itnisnt poverty spec.

The S3 hardly popped, with the windows up you had a job to hear it at 40-50mph, the box delete has made you hear them at 70+ with ease which is why I remain hopeful for a small change to make a big difference on the new car.

I'm fascinated to hear this. I've seen videos galore of the FL with sports exhaust (and with decat) and haven't heard any downshift pops and crackles.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I'm fascinated to hear this. I've seen videos galore of the FL with sports exhaust (and with decat) and haven't heard any downshift pops and crackles.

I agree with thebc2. Plenty of pops when downshifting when in S-dynamic mode.

I agree with thebc2. Plenty of pops when downshifting when in S-dynamic mode.

I'm keeping an open mind and will test soon enough. Haven't heard any on the videos, though?! Including the guy in America who decatted his and confirmed on his video there are no crackles on downshift (it seemed pretty clear!) Can you explain that?!

I'm keeping an open mind and will test soon enough. Haven't heard any on the videos, though?! Including the guy in America who decatted his and confirmed on his video there are no crackles on downshift (it seemed pretty clear!) Can you explain that?!

Who knows but we can only hope.

When do you expect to drive one with a Sports Exhaust? I'm dying to hear one :weary: I don't really want to go to any Audi centres and waste their time, I would want to be honest but I won't get a test drive that way. Any suggestions?

I have driven both, well, have the PFL with 73000km and yesterday drove the FL.

Location Andorra:

Pros FL:

Gearbox Smooth and faster than PFL
Power: it revs better at high rpm's and feels stronger ( you can feel the hp difference )
Turbo lag: low-medium torque it feels laggier than PFL
Brakes: better feeling but on the FL driven they were ceramic.
handling: cannot compare as I have B16
Sound: liked it a lot , its more "progressive" like NA engines, it is not so strong and notorious at low rpm's but is nicer for me at high rpm's.

Cons FL:

Sound: no bangs and pops in the unit driven.
Engine: has to show its reliability and high power possibilities.

to summarize:

FL has improved from PFL basically in gearbox smoothness, now the feeling is like the DQ250 in the S3 PFL.

regards!

Reactions: EdmundVR4
I am actually happy the pops are few and far between. When I do get one, it sounds like a gunshot, which we hear enough of here in the states:)

In all seriousness, didn't much of the really crazy harsh pops on the pfl came from aftermarket exhausts and tuning? That's not to say there isn't a good amount more stock vs stock but some of the videos I've seen of clearly heavily modded rs 3s sound like a war zone. The pops from other high end engines are much more melodic than ours. It sounds like random gunfire on many of the PFL videos I have watched. I would get used it to, don't get me wrong, but for it to occur on all decel or downshift? Not my cup of tea.

ALL THAT BEING SAID:). The car is so loud it will wake the dead. It makes much of its volume well before 5k RPM. At low RPMs the engine sounds loud, crisp and melodic.

If you are looking for more random pops, I hear Afghanistan is beautiful this time of year:)

Yep, sounds like crap.

wait are we discussing that the PFL is as fast as the FL version in a quarter mile, seriously?

Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

I'm absolutely gutted to find out that the pops have been removed 100% on downshifts :'(

It pops, just not as heavy as the PFL

wait are we discussing that the PFL is as fast as the FL version in a quarter mile, seriously?

It pops, just not as heavy as the PFL

That was in discussion, before we all agreed to be friends ;)

That's good news for me, because as long as they are there then they can be made to be louder.

FL will clearly be faster than a PFL over the 1/4 mile.

FL will clearly be faster than a PFL over the 1/4 mile.

While you will clearly hear the PFL doing it ;)

As long as the car sounds like a proper 5-cylinder like the Audi engines always have and is louder than my S3, I will be happy. The premium is for the soundtrack for most people and is worth the change on its own. Desperate to hear one in person, hopefully the standard car won't put me down when I drive it (waiting for an appointment). If I'm happy with that noise, I will be over the moon because the sports exhaust can only sound better. This is the first time I've been truly excited to experience the power, I am wondering how obvious the difference will be. The S3 is supposed to be 306hp, mine came out on the dyno at 336hp.

Reactions: D0C

That was me!
The bloke in the video has driven a warmed up, higher mileage car with a sports exhaust so he is definitely better positioned to comment on the car's differences overall.

The best impression that I can take from his mixed with my own experience is:
  • The FL is a better handler
  • It is smoother
  • You MUST have a sports exhausts otherwise his mention of the positives of the sound just won't be true
It didn't feel any faster but the pick-up was indeed different.

Therefore , new FL RS3 + Sports Exhaust + Way to get the Pops back = 100% winner.

The comments for this video are saying Stock Exhaust sounds better than Sports Exhaust??

A quote from Sapient Budget in the comments: 'The sport exhaust is all mid range crackle. The regular exhaust sounds way deeper and has a much better tone at half and full throttle. The stock exhaust is a way better option. Stock exhaust sounds amazing in the car, very Porsche 911 with a rumble. Sport exhaust is not good. Get an after market, don't waste money on the 'sport' exhaust. I drove both cars for a solid 30 minutes. The standard exhaust is amazing. Beautiful thick tone and is plenty loud if you want it. People turn their head loud. But still very refined with some nice pops. The sport exhaust tone is the problem. It's more mid range and after 30 min driving it I was done. Sport exhaust is just loud mid range annoying. Buy the car and live with it for a while, you will be glad Audi lets you put the exhaust in comfort mode.'

The comments for this video are saying Stock Exhaust sounds better than Sports Exhaust??

A quote from Sapient Budget in the comments: 'The sport exhaust is all mid range crackle. The regular exhaust sounds way deeper and has a much better tone at half and full throttle. The stock exhaust is a way better option. Stock exhaust sounds amazing in the car, very Porsche 911 with a rumble. Sport exhaust is not good. Get an after market, don't waste money on the 'sport' exhaust. I drove both cars for a solid 30 minutes. The standard exhaust is amazing. Beautiful thick tone and is plenty loud if you want it. People turn their head loud. But still very refined with some nice pops. The sport exhaust tone is the problem. It's more mid range and after 30 min driving it I was done. Sport exhaust is just loud mid range annoying. Buy the car and live with it for a while, you will be glad Audi lets you put the exhaust in comfort mode.'

Sounds like a real old fart making those comments.

The sports exhaust is much raspier, the stock exhaust sounds very plain and smooth.

Maybe the sports exhaust was on a brand new car and the standard exhaust car was nicely run in.
Anyway, it is subjective. One man's roar is another man's bark.
I heard nothing on my drive on the standard car (though to be fair it was on delivery miles) to make me excited.

I have 2500km on the rs3 limo now, makes more noise than at the start, but I'm sure it won't go any louder without any adjustments.

Just install software if you want the old rs sound back, I'm sticking with this. Never like the PFL sound anyway

I have 2500km on the rs3 limo now, makes more noise than at the start, but I'm sure it won't go any louder without any adjustments.

Just install software if you want the old rs sound back, I'm sticking with this. Never like the PFL sound anyway
That's great.
You might be one of the few FL owners on here who have done decent mileage.
Any issues at all?

That's great.
You might be one of the few FL owners on here who have done decent mileage.
Any issues at all?

So far, nothing at all, including the breaks, no fading what so ever

Reactions: Evotion and KKOG
So I checked underneath the loan car I have with a standard exhaust, it has no secondary cats which I have been relieved to see.

The car is loud enough with valves unplugged even with the standard exhaust, I mean cabin noise now and is pretty loud sat at 70. I can't see me wanting to take the silencers out, if I do I will likely be glad of me being able to operate the valves with my remote.

Having the car control the valves is just an absolute no no, because they are shut all the way through second gear and it ruins any noise you can make in the streets.

Reactions: MoKha
So I checked underneath the loan car I have with a standard exhaust, it has no secondary cats which I have been relieved to see.

The car is loud enough with valves unplugged even with the standard exhaust, I mean cabin noise now and is pretty loud sat at 70. I can't see me wanting to take the silencers out, if I do I will likely be glad of me being able to operate the valves with my remote.

Having the car control the valves is just an absolute no no, because they are shut all the way through second gear and it ruins any noise you can make in the streets.
What would you say would be the simplest fix to this to keep the valves open at all times. Or what would be the solution and cost of being able to control the valves?

Reactions: zaka7

Even in Dynamic and Sport?

That would explain why, in my review, I said the car generally sounded poor.
I will go out in it again and just focus on the actual sound it makes and not try to compare.

What would you say would be the simplest fix to this to keep the valves open at all times. Or what would be the solution and cost of being able to control the valves?

Simple one? Put the car in dynamic and unplug the valves.. very easy to do, compress the clip on the plug and pull out of the valve.

The solution is to get an "AWE Tuning Switchpath Controller"

Even in Dynamic and Sport?

That would explain why, in my review, I said the car generally sounded poor.
I will go out in it again and just focus on the actual sound it makes and not try to compare.

Yes correct, but note yours also shuts too! Even in full dynamic all RS cars still use the valves.

The exact same system should work, identical setup and mine will be going on my RS3.

Assume this won't affect warranty? I know how Audi can be and this isn't something I've done before?

Assume this won't affect warranty? I know how Audi can be and this isn't something I've done before?

Well, at most it will affect the valve warranty but it can be removed so easily. I take my remote out when it's in for service and they will never know any different.

Woah £223 for that? Doesn't seem like it should be that expensive.