RS3 Facelift Exhaust Valve Unplugged

fasteddy

Reaction score
A question for the facelift owners who have unplugged their valves
Do you experience that the left side exhaust is louder than the right side
The valves are open as I used some flexi hose to push through the valved sided pipes just to make sure

Yes it’s normal on ALL RS3’s, more noise from the left than right.

Thanks I knew I could rely on you for an answer
So I assume it's the way the rear silencer flows

Thanks I knew I could rely on you for an answer
So I assume it's the way the rear silencer flows

Yeah it’s just the flow of the exhaust.

More to the point can you back me up that it sounds a whole load better?

Do you think there is any low end power loss due to back pressure reduced?

I did it for a few days and wasn’t sure but had a feeling the car had less go down low.

It did sound heaps better though. Way more bass even just idling at lights.

I did it for a few days and wasn’t sure but had a feeling the car had less go down low.

Hm unlikely, mine certainly doesn’t feel slow haha.

I made a video about this for my dealer because I wasn’t sure at first why its doing this. The dealer told me that the valves on the right side doesn’t open until certain load of throttle. Is this true? It seem the OP already unplugged both valves.

Last edited:
Yes it does sound a lot better and more natural maybe even too loud? however there is a reasonable amount droning at around 2.2k revs

In normal circumstances the left only is open at idle, both then shut until about 4k (unless in first where the left stays open at all revs) then both sides open up.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Just unplugged these and took it for a spin. NOTICEABLE difference. Thanks for the tip guys,

In normal circumstances the left only is open at idle, both then shut until about 4k (unless in first where the left stays open at all revs) then both sides open up.

TX.

May be a stupid question, but how do we unplug the valves with both being opened if this is the case? Start car, put it into first then unplug?

I think the car needs to be in dynamic mate on the drive select, that’s what I done my PFL so must be the same on the FL

May be a stupid question, but how do we unplug the valves with both being opened if this is the case? Start car, put it into first then unplug?
Great question as I don't know how people are getting both valves open by just unplugging them either. It is definitely just the left valve open at idle.

TX.

Does the right valve not open as well in dynamic on idle and first gear then closes in second until revs hit 3000+ mate?

I would have guessed on a cold start, especially in Dynamic, both would be open?

I'm 99% sure only the left side is open at idle in dynamic^. When not in dynamic both are shut of course.

TX.

^When the PFL was first released a lot of us thought the zorst was ****** as the sound only came out the left hand side at idle and when revving when stopped.

I'm 99% sure only the left side is open at idle in dynamic. When not in dynamic both are shut of course.

TX.

That’s my theory out the window haha... at least I’ve got another 2 and a half months for someone to give us the true method

If that’s the case mine sounds epic if only one valve is open **** knows how loud it will be if both are open :smirk:

I’m sure I’ve seen exhaust vapours coming out both nozzles when it’s been ticking over a while surely that indicates that the right valve is open?

I know what you mean as I also thought this as well and I plugged them back in and it I swear it felt better!

I wonder if mapping comes into play as well as surely the car would mapped to the exhaust flow of having the flaps closed?

I have since fitted the asr module so I can open and close them with a remote and try to feel the difference.

Once thing I have noticed (I’ll probably be flamed for this) is the car feels gutless at 1k -2k revs and then after 2k revs it’s crazy. It feels like either turbo lag or the accelerator peddle doesn’t do anything until a third pressed down. On dynamic this all goes away as it’s at 2k rev minimum. I’ve really noticed it on the other modes (comfort etc) and it’s caught me out when going to accelerate quickly...

Reactions: evil_scooby
If that’s the case mine sounds epic if only one valve is open **** knows how loud it will be if both are open :smirk:

I’m sure I’ve seen exhaust vapours coming out both nozzles when it’s been ticking over a while surely that indicates that the right valve is open?

I’m sure they are both open if you have the car running in dynamic and unplug them as with the asr module fitted it sounds the same. With the asr module remote I can now open and close them whilst being outside the car and I’ve put my head next to each exhaust tip to check they were both being open \ closed when I pressed the corresponding button.

Reactions: DW81
I’m sure they are both open if you have the car running in dynamic and unplug them as with the asr module fitted it sounds the same. With the asr module remote I can now open and close them whilst being outside the car and I’ve put my head next to each exhaust tip to check they were both being open \ closed when I pressed the corresponding button.
That’s what I thought mate seeing two exhaust vapour trails especially at a red lights in the rear window.

Does the asr module allow for the system to be operated as normal car or is it just valves permanently off or on ?

Does the exhaust vavles only mate from what I can gather

Does the asr module allow for the system to be operated as normal car or is it just valves permanently off or on ?

Hiya,

Yes the asr does allow the oem setting.

It has 3 modes:

Sport - valves open all the time
Comfort - valves closed all the time
Series - the same as OEM

The German translation is a bit vague but I confirmed with the manufacturer.

The manufacturer also commented “Please do not close flaps if you would like to drive long distances with top speed. Accellerate with full load isn’t a problem.”

Reactions: Nickyc
Once thing I have noticed (I’ll probably be flamed for this) is the car feels gutless at 1k -2k revs and then after 2k revs it’s crazy. It feels like either turbo lag or the accelerator peddle doesn’t do anything until a third pressed down. On dynamic this all goes away as it’s at 2k rev minimum. I’ve really noticed it on the other modes (comfort etc) and it’s caught me out when going to accelerate quickly...

That's the case with the S3 too, also heard Golf R and GTI owners say the same thing which is why they use pedalbox. Just how they set up the accelerator pedal, probably for economy reasons.

Reactions: SteviegRS
Just been advised from VW Parts International, that the 4 pin Exhaust Delete Cap & Loop is looking to be ready early 2018, Once it is i'll talk to admin and get the group buy going for those that want them.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Tristan2 and Phil3
That's the case with the S3 too, also heard Golf R and GTI owners say the same thing which is why they use pedalbox. Just how they set up the accelerator pedal, probably for economy reasons.

Thanks for this - I’ve just purchased the DTUK pedal box + based on all the positive feedback so hopefully this will be sorted.