RS3 countdown to configurator

It's along the same lines that Merc have done with the A45S, as an eg: you cant have adaptive suspension or active cruise on the 'cheaper' base model, you need the A45S Plus for those

Reactions: NevMan
It's along the same lines that Merc have done with the A45S, as an eg: you cant have adaptive suspension or active cruise on the 'cheaper' base model, you need the A45S Plus for those

I was just going to say this.

2 spec choices on the Merc and as noted you get the alloys it comes with and the spec it comes with and no option to modify or add on individual items.

Audi have adopted the same approach but have added some flexibility by offering options such as adaptive dampers, comfort & sound pack etc

I was just going to say this.

2 spec choices on the Merc and as noted you get the alloys it comes with and the spec it comes with and no option to modify or add on individual items.

Audi have adopted the same approach but have added some flexibility by offering options such as adaptive dampers, comfort & sound pack etc
Yes. but if you add the suspension you end up with a car that costs nearly as much as the Vorsprung but with less equipment and it keeps the std wheels which I do not like at all

The red hatchback in the picture at the start of RS3 must be a launch car? you can not configure one to look like that

they just used an EU stock image, didn't want to show a UK car out of embarrassment :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
remember the catchphrase from bullseye... "just look at what you coulda... " LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR, PeteRS3lee, NevMan and 1 other person
they just used an EU stock image, didn't want to show a UK car out of embarrassment :tearsofjoy:
Pretty crap though, ''Heres a picture of what we think is the nicest looking RS3................but you cant have one like this''

A little like going into MacDonalds and expecting your Happy Meal to look like the one in the pictures

• Haha
Reactions: PeteRS3lee, NevMan, 3vans and 3 others
Been thinking about this and I can only think this arrangement with configurator is purely a necessity for current conditions (pandemic & global chip shortage). Unless Audi UK have entered a new low in providing options for cars, do you think this was the best (I use that word very loosely) spec they could come up with for getting RHD down the production line in shorted possible time rather than giving us a multitude of options.
I asked the question the other day to the sales guy he said packs have been brought in purely to simplify orders and that is Audis direction now going forward which I think is very lazy on Audis part . I can imagine its pi$$ing a lot of customers off me included .

Reactions: AndyVWR, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Pretty **** though, ''Heres a picture of what we think is the nicest looking RS3................but you cant have one like this''

A little like going into MacDonalds and expecting your Happy Meal to look like the one in the pictures
Spot on mate

Yes. but if you add the suspension you end up with a car that costs nearly as much as the Vorsprung but with less equipment and it keeps the std wheels which I do not like at all

The red hatchback in the picture at the start of RS3 must be a launch car? you can not configure one to look like that
The red car at the start of the configurator is the spec I want :laughing: but in Daytona

Reactions: UncleRick, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
It is $hi7 they are using those images on the uk site of equipment we can’t have in the uk.

Reactions: NevMan and Mr Freeze
The red car at the start of the configurator is the spec I want :laughing: but in Daytona

launch edition with interior design pack inc flat bottom alcantara wheel .... yeah looks ace .... & yeah you can’t have that :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: UncleRick, AndyVWR, NevMan and 1 other person
I came over to Audi to get more flexibility as merc gave you very little choices on the AMG45S but they gave you plenty to get close to what you wanted and at least a couple choices on interior and rims.

Audi have got this wrong they need a new pack design manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

launch edition with interior design pack inc flat bottom alcantara wheel .... yeah looks ace .... & yeah you can’t have that :tearsofjoy:

That’s the dream right there

I’m going in today asking for the red one in the picture straight face

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 1 other person
My brother who is a production engineer for a large car parts supplier says manufacturers are all going down the route of having set specs. Makes production much easier and cheaper.

Lead time for a Tesla is a matter of weeks. I’m told it’s because there’s only 5 colours, 2 interior colours and 2 models or something like that. So they just build those cars and pack them on the boats.

I’m still feeling really bitter about all this and my sales guy still hasn’t returned calls or emails! It’s looking more and more likely I’m out. Maybe when I see a car and that bus steering wheel, I could change my mind. We’ll have to see.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
Pretty **** though, ''Heres a picture of what we think is the nicest looking RS3................but you cant have one like this''

That is ****. As usually (or at least in the past) the full colour brochure (remember those) would have a fully specced up car that always looked the biz. So you would then go and say, hmm, I want pano, sound upgrade, those lovely seats, that nice trim option, those lovely alloys…….BOOM, no longer

Reactions: UncleRick and Snake Pliskin
I asked the question the other day to the sales guy he said packs have been brought in purely to simplify orders and that is Audis direction now going forward which I think is very lazy on Audis part . I can imagine its pi$$ing a lot of customers off me included .

Packs are ok, if there are economies of scale, and you can actually select the ****** things!

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Snake Pliskin

That exactly what the dealer said
If we ever get a launch edition in the showroom
And they do get them
And customer asked I want 1 like that 1
Well you have to tell them no
We don’t sell them like that
What’s the point

Reactions: AndyVWR
I’ve been told there will be no launch spec in the UK as we can’t have them options.
Chip shortage likely to be minimum 12 months.
Possible last 2.5 petrol Rs3 due to emissions and manufactures moving to electric.
Not sure how true this is but has come from a broker sales executive who confirmed from Audi

My brother who is a production engineer for a large car parts supplier says manufacturers are all going down the route of having set specs. Makes production much easier and cheaper.

Lead time for a Tesla is a matter of weeks. I’m told it’s because there’s only 5 colours, 2 interior colours and 2 models or something like that. So they just build those cars and pack them on the boats.

I’m still feeling really bitter about all this and my sales guy still hasn’t returned calls or emails! It’s looking more and more likely I’m out. Maybe when I see a car and that bus steering wheel, I could change my mind. We’ll have to see.
Same here @D0C I am hanging on to see if the config site gets better eventually with more options. The round steering wheel is a total joke, why deny the better one to some purchasers when it looks 100% better than the "bus wheel" . Also I'd like to drive and hear one first before getting carried away!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: SPIKE_, NevMan, Mr Freeze and 2 others
I’ve been told there will be no launch spec in the UK as we can’t have them options.
Possible last 2.5 petrol Rs3 due to emissions and manufactures moving to electric.
Not sure how true this is but has come from a broker sales executive who confirmed from Audi
UK getting 96 launch edition models, so your sales executive is wrong.

I’m sure there will be a facelift at least.
Then it’s possible we will get a mild hybrid up to 2035.
There is also the wild card of 100% bio-fuel being developed (F1 working on it next few years) and that WOULD be a game changer for combustion engines :icon thumright:

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Terminator x and NevMan
I’m sure there will be a facelift at least.
Then it’s possible we will get a mild hybrid up to 2035.
There is also the wild card of 100% bio-fuel being developed (F1 working on it next few years) and that WOULD be a game changer for combustion engines :icon thumright:

It would be a game changer. We can only hope this develops or hydrogen or anything other than milk float power

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Terminator x
Sorry to be obtuse here, but whats the big deal with the steering wheel? Proper sports cars have round steering wheels, and the one in the RS3 is hardly going to be massive. Probably 370mm or similar? Same size as the ones i had in my recently-departed 911 and 718 Spyder, and i never felt they were excessive. Of course i’ll be annoyed if it turns out to be 400mm or something like that but i doubt it.

I get the flat bottom one is a bit of a novelty but it serves no real purpose, i really didn’t like it in the TTS i had a few years back so just for balance not all of us are that bothered. Given it’s easy to retrofit i’m sure they’ll be a solution that will satisfy those that are.

Reactions: 3vans
Sorry to be obtuse here, but whats the big deal with the steering wheel? Proper sports cars have round steering wheels, and the one in the RS3 is hardly going to be massive. Probably 370mm or similar? Same size as the ones i had in my recently-departed 911 and 718 Spyder, and i never felt they were excessive. Of course i’ll be annoyed if it turns out to be 400mm or something like that but i doubt it.

I get the flat bottom one is a bit of a novelty but it serves no real purpose, i really didn’t like it in the TTS i had a few years back so just for balance not all of us are that bothered. Given it’s easy to retrofit i’m sure they’ll be a solution that will satisfy those that are.
I think you are in the minority not being bothered about the flat bottom steering wheel .

Reactions: RSA, Terminator x, NevMan and 2 others

I’m pretty confident the round wheels in the Porsche models like your previous cars are smaller but your right abut a retrofit.

I can tell i’m in a minority of 1, but i’m interested in what specifically it is about a squared-off 1” section of the steering wheel that is getting so much attention.

More of an Audi thing the flat bottom wheel I suppose. And has been an option across most of the Audi range for some time, often a £150 option or something like that. Not sure retro’ing will be easy or cheap, one for the coding experts. Re-finishing in say alcantara likely a cheaper option.

I would argue the lack of the design packs are a lot more annoying as that does look the biz at least it will on the European models

I’m pretty confident the round wheels in the Porsche models like your previous cars are smaller but your right abut a retrofit.
paying 60k for a car and then having to retro fit a steering wheel is the last thing I'd want to be doing

pretty certain a few people have been into audi over the last couple of days..... no one measured the Q3 wheel in question????

I can tell i’m in a minority of 1, but i’m interested in what specifically it is about a squared-off 1” section of the steering wheel that is getting so much attention.

It’s not just it’s round section at the bottom ... it is bigger than flat bottom, it has that horrible squared centre section, it has lots of extra shiny section at the bottom and looks like it came straight out of a Q model .... oh it did !

It does not look RS like.

Last edited:
RS cars pretty much all have the flat bottom wheel. Why settle for less?

TX.

Edit - PFL goodwood pic from 2017 e.g. the UK reveal.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1d865cebe90d1698aa7e240fbbb25803.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 1 other person
It’s not so much the fact it is round, but that it is an ugly looking wheel. The small, round and alcantara steering wheels in Porsche’s would do just fine. Not this one from Audi that is out of a Q car.

It’s not so much the fact it is round, but that it is an ugly looking wheel. The small, round and alcantara steering wheels in Porsche’s would do just fine. Not this one from Audi that is out of a Q car.

exactly ... if it were round & looked good I don’t think we’d be as bothered ... but it’s just an unpleasant looking wheel ... & it’s the contact point with the car so you can’t really avoid looking at it can you.

plus that enlarged centre section looks off in an RS car as does the extra bling at the bottom.

Just had a look it’s not as huge as it looks in the pics but it hurts my eyes don’t feel Racey enough

I’m sat there discussing how much things I’m taking off as opposed to how much things I liked

Voraprung start build week 48 that was a wobbler for me too

In the end I walked kept the door open though have to have a think about this