RS3 beaten round autocar track by Type R

On a 1400m circuit that doesn't have a straight... I've driven Llandow a number of times - it's not made for cars like the RS3/M3.
It's all tight corners so the lighter Type R will always win.

Like any car the RS3 has strengths and weaknesses, this test plays to it's latter. The RS3 is a road eating monster, not a track toy.

Reactions: Wango and RYuill
The only upside for other hatch owners when they get spanked by one round the twisties is that they haven't got to sit in this lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound, chungster and josedebardi
I sat in the new Type R at Goodwood and it was like stepping back in time!

Reactions: chungster
That's where that pic was taken goodwood, I walked up and pulled the bumper and it seems to be made of a one piece of flimsy plastic, the wheel arch vents where fake, and the interior plastics seemed to come from a Tupperware box.
That's the price of track performance, but then why do Honda think it's worth 33k?

Totally irrelevant once again......my local road safety team lose the plot from as little as 3mph over the speed limit so to see me going around a roundabout or corner in that fashion their reaction would be indescribable!

Please can somebody just tell me what it's like to take an RS3 as a normal driver popping down to the shops, around town or loaded up with family on the motorway for 4hrs but on the rare occasion I get to try it out it is highly unlikely I'll be worrying about lack of oversteer......... I will run out of driving ability before the car does!

Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar and chungster
The original Honda run is here against a Seat Cupra 280 and a Megane RS Trophy.

Yes the Type R is quick but it makes up all the time in the corners it's obviously a fantastic chassis it looks like it drives like a big go kart. Great on what looks like a big go kart track.
The Honda did a 46.5s lap the M3 46.7s the seat Cupra 280 a 46.9s lap and the RS3 a 47.0s lap.
So the real surprise for me is the Seat Cupra 280 quicker than an RS3 and only 0.2s behind an M3.
It seems Honda have gone all out to make a race track car for the road, you only need to look at the aero package it has a fully functional splitter on the front and I am sure that rear wing is more than just for show and the seats are just what you would have in a track car, where as other cars are more like adapted road cars.
The BMW spent too much time traction limited smoking the tyres and going sideways, on a bigger track it would muller the Civic I am sure.
They are all very fast competent cars I would still take the RS3, I couldn't drive around in something that looked like a Type R, it just needs numbers on the side and some blood group stickers and it's there.

The hot hatch to have if you place driving at the top of your priorities (and can get over the badge snobbery issue) is a Renault.
I said this when I had the S3 - you are better off with a properly set up FWD car (suspension tailored to UK roads, proper tyres and a front diff) than with a Haldex car.

Take it to a more open track & the results would be different again.

Horses for courses

I used to have an FN2 type R. Was a great car however as I've got older my preferences have changed in what I look for in a car. The honda would throw you out your seat if you drove over a shoelace! Hats off to honda for creating a brilliant car in the new type R. I am genuinly not surpised at it being quicker as it was designed from the ground up to be fastest FWD car round the ring.

However, I feel the Audi is the more rounded package of the 2 and would be a the quicker car on our roads.While waiting for my RS3 I have been driving around a new e class diesel which I actually quite like! It rides very nicely and handles pretty decently, the only problem is that (in my eyes) it is woefully underpowered!
Apart from that its pretty well screwed together car

I am almost touching 30 and I would feel a bit embarressed driving around in the honda due to how overstyled it is! My wife called me a boy racer when I showed her pics of the RS3 I have ordered will look. She would have passed out if I had ordered the honda!

Reactions: S3 AD
On a 1400m circuit that doesn't have a straight... I've driven Llandow a number of times - it's not made for cars like the RS3/M3.
It's all tight corners so the lighter Type R will always win.

Like any car the RS3 has strengths and weaknesses, this test plays to it's latter. The RS3 is a road eating monster, not a track toy.

Well said, being in the 50+ club I just wouldn't look right in the Honda anyway, and the Honda will never sound like " road eating monster" :racer:

Reactions: josedebardi
The problem with the Type R is that it's loud, in your face, obnoxious and ugly. Like dogs take after their owners, we know exactly the type of owner the R will attract, fast or not.
Audi RS3 owners on the other hand are grey or white wearing, unassuming Q people, who occasionally fart loudly and burble.

Reactions: Nimbus265 and Snake Pliskin
I wouldn't label a car by the type of person that drives it, the 8P RS3 seems to be the " chavs wet dream" at the moment and would count on the current one being no different. As the prices fall on performance cars alot of them will fall into the wrong hands. Just the way of the world unfortunately.

Alot of people outside of the audi circle would describe the RS3 as a drug dealers car.

The mkV r32 is a prime example of this, check autotrader etc and you will see that most have had many different owners, not a good sign! People buy them as prices are cheap, can't afford to run them. Rag the t*ts off them for a few months then punt them on

Reactions: keyser and Jassyo06
My comments were meant to be light-hearted fun. Never mind, eh.

Doubt that chavs are even in the old RS3 yet as they're still £30k aren't they?!

TX.

Some of these Chavs have plenty money

Or car payments come before a new shellsuit

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Foxtrot_Oscar
Not even the slightest surprised the new Type R is faster than the RS3,got a soft spot for the Type R as you can see LOL,l hear members slate the new type R's interior,the A3/S3 is not all quality either,some cheap looking bits
Rtype

But anyhow l am glad/happy for Honda,as they have been in No mans land for the last 6 years selling the Jazz and other boring cars and if l where a little younger l would have this car on my next to own list...l think it looks like a "Hot Hatch Should" Lairy and in your face and very cheap in comparison to a RS3

Had two type R's - bread van in 04 and one as above in 07.

They were good cars but I look at this new incarnation and think wt* :)

It's just mad !!!!
At £33k for the GT Honda are pitching the price very high too.

I'd pick a golf r or Audi s3 over this ott Honda any day - it's just way too shouty.

Not in the same league as an RS3 IMO.

I think it looked great, sounded great and handle brilliantly.

Saying that, I wouldn't go back to Honda now after having an audi. It just didn't have that solid feel about it. Snake pilskin will tell you about the door cards that used to flex when you closed the windows

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Ha ha oh the memories :)

Same here though - could not go back to Honda after experiencing Audi.

The high revving engines were fun though !

Reactions: billyali86