RS3 ABT further tuning

gysse2004

Reaction score
hi, I have an RS3 with ABT tuning box. Should produce around 430bhp. What would be the next natural tuning step, to get more power, mainly torque. HP fuelpump, TTE500 turbo, or exhaust. What is the natural order ? If any.
Peter

The feeling of torque you want will be best provided by a Pedal Box IMO. I went APR Stage 2+ and was underwhelmed by the low down power and torque and so went to MRC thinking that may be the solution. Not much difference, but slightly better I thought. Then got a pedal box and boom its amazing. Does away with the factory laggy pedal and makes the car feel it has instant torque with no jerkyness. See my review and comments in the current Pedal Box thread.

Assume PFL? Decat, IC and map should see 450hp. More than that you'll need bigger turbo as you say plus perhaps uprated fuel pump.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

The feeling of torque you want will be best provided by a Pedal Box IMO. I went APR Stage 2+ and was underwhelmed by the low down power and torque and so went to MRC thinking that may be the solution. Not much difference, but slightly better I thought. Then got a pedal box and boom its amazing. Does away with the factory laggy pedal and makes the car feel it has instant torque with no jerkyness. See my review and comments in the current Pedal Box thread.
Am I correct in thinking that the pedal box just plays with the throttle mapping and theoretically shouldn't be any faster down a drag strip with or without one?

Correct.

You will need hardware and full re-map for more power.

If I had my time again I would have got a Pedal box first. Then a map.

mmm. You mention 'mainly torque'. So it is low end power that you [imo quite rightly] seek. If this is the case, then ditch the tuning box in favour of someone who can give you a good custom map.

I cannot comment on the pedal box as I do not have one yet, but so far I have only fitted a high pressure spring to the fuel pump and a 'cold' intake and with dedication from someone doing an individual tune, with low end torque as the brief, on a rolling road, I can feel some get up and go at the lower end. Next is a scorpion down pipe and then if necessary, an intercooler.

Unless you are planning track days, anything over 450 is, imo, not going to be used much.

Pedal box alters the pedal position signal that is given
So if the pedal is at 5% then it’s effectively fooling the sensor into giving 15%

You get more for less

Can be almost like a ‘hyper’ dynamic mode if turned up to the max.

Why don't you just push the pedal down to 15% for 15% ?!

TX.

Reactions: D0C and T-800
I am really impressed with the torque curve that the RS6 produces, but then again it it a different story. Would a bigger turbo not lag TQ in the low range rpm ?

Why don't you just push the pedal down to 15% for 15% ?!

TX.

My thoughts exactly! However, people seem to swear by them so I'll reserve final judgement until/if I get to try one.

Reactions: Terminator x
I will ! I will !
Pedal Box or Pedal Box Plus..??

I am really impressed with the torque curve that the RS6 produces, but then again it it a different story. Would a bigger turbo not lag TQ in the low range rpm ?
Not sure what you are trying to say here - are you advocating a larger turbo for the RS3? If so no, it is far from the answer for low end torque.

Not sure what you are trying to say here - are you advocating a larger turbo for the RS3? If so no, it is far from the answer for low end torque.
I want my RS3 to pull like the RS6 ! Probably not going to happen. 2 very different cars.

Definitely not I am afraid!

What the RS6 has is good old fashioned V8 grunt that is good for low end torque allowing a larger turbo to be used for the upper end.

I was very close to buying a larger turbo and ancilliary equipment from a well known memeber here that would take my car instantly over the 600hp mark. Until that is, I spoke with MRC who mapped the ECU who pointed out very quietly that the turbo was so large, it did not kick in until quite late on the rev counter! The resultant car they said would actually have less performance than a standard RS3 below 3500RPM!

I thought about this and agreed that the times I would use the high HP would be far and few between, whereas the low end stuff is a daily requirement! So I now have someone who is mapping the car individually, seeing how I can get more at 2000RPM and not worry about anything beyond about 430 or 450.

Now, might you have plenty of money where a few thousand lost will not make you cry? Then, you could try stroking the engine - not sure how many extra cc one can get from the 2.5 motor, but even if you could take it up to 3 litres would give you a little bit of what the RS6 has...

Good point Hal, guess you could always use a little bit extra. The ideal car imo would be the new RS4 with the 4.0 twin turbo from the rs6. Nose heavy though!