Rs3 8v vibration

Rs3_dan2018w

As title says really ive just noticed a vibration when driving along and its worse when i put my foot down anyone else had this?also noticed when i put it in P for park and get back into it i go to select drive and it really clunks is this normal thanks dan

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Hello and welcome.

You really need to be more specific I think. Where do you feel the vibration? Are there any mechanical noises associated with it?

There are so many possibilities that warrant a more precise description...

Dan_DJT

The clunk comingn out of P can be caused by loading up against the parking pawl. Try putting handbrake on before going into P or hold the car on the brakes until the handbrake auto enables.

Rs3_dan2018w

Cheers for quick reply guys today i put my foot down in sports and it didnt change down it stayed in 4th gear but when i put my foot on the throttle to overtake it doesnt change down stays in same gear and whole car vibrates

Last edited:

DW81

First port of call is to get your car scanned with vcds just to eliminate any dodgy sensors perhaps.

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
I'll go along with Dan on the gearbox locking on the pawl - do you regularily stop on an incline maybe? This would give a distinctive clunk, but poor adjustment could give a lighter clunk...

Like Penetrator asks, you are in auto, yes? Assuming yes, you have a problem with kick down and or the box - either a solenoid is playing up or poor adjustment or worse. The vibration might even be a second issue to the kick down. Is you car under warranty? Either way, it needs physical attention I fear.

Rs3_dan2018w

Also noticed traction controllight flashes when going on a straight road and exhaust note has changed too bit confused

T

T-800

Also noticed traction controllight flashes when going on a straight road and exhaust note has changed too bit confused

Needs either going to a dealer or get a scan with VCDS / VCP etc........

Clunk is usually parking pawl as already said........ incline + no H/B + weight of car = pressure on the pawl, then you get the load clunk as the car withdraws it in readiness to set off.

Good to have the DSG box pawl but only as a back up should the H/B fail / not engage.

I take it the car is a Pre-facelift ?
parking pawl.jpg