RS3 8V PFL battery

millsy75

Reaction score
Evening all, due to Covid my RS3 2016 has a dead battery.

I want to try and charge it up now but I'm not sure what type of battery I have from factory. I cannot access the boot to look as too close to the garage wall.

I have a CTEK charger (never used) which has various modes to charge on. It's model MXS 5.0.

Help!!

I have the same and used the normal battery mode - worked well...charging points under bonnet

Reactions: millsy75
Ok thanks mate, it has an AGM mode but wasn't sure whether to use it or not

If it has an AGM mode then use that and as said use the under bonnet points to connect to.

Assuming the car has an AGM battery of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has an AGM mode then use that and as said use the under bonnet points to connect to.

Assuming the car has an AGM battery of course.

I've no idea what battery was fitted to my car from factory. Did they fit AGM one's? I haven't changed to an aftermarket battery.

I've no idea what battery was fitted to my car from factory. Did they fit AGM one's? I haven't changed to an aftermarket battery.

Go into the boot and lift up the floor.
It’s under there.

I would be surprised if it's not an AGM battery given the car. Charge it on AGM it's not going to cause any issues. The battery is more likely to have been damaged by sitting discharged than you charging it up once on the wrong mode.

Go into the boot and lift up the floor.
It’s under there.

As in my opening post I cannot access the boot without trashing it against a brick wall

I would be surprised if it's not an AGM battery given the car. Charge it on AGM it's not going to cause any issues. The battery is more likely to have been damaged by sitting discharged than you charging it up once on the wrong mode.

Yes sadly I know it might be damaged. The car is stored in a lockup away from my property and the garage has no direct power.

Standard battery mode will be fine and uses slightly lower charge voltage - also this mode covers many AGM batteries - look in your battery charger manual. If needed you can use the recondition mode as well.

As in my opening post I cannot access the boot without trashing it against a brick wall

If you can get inside your car simply lever the rear seats down and pull out the boot floor covering. Should give you enough access to look at battery underneath

Connected up everything lights up on the CTEK then a short while after the power lamp starts flashing.

It states in the manual "The charger has entered energy saving mode. This happens if the charger isn't connected to a battery in 2 minutes"

Is this normal?

Thanks

Or should the car AGM and RECOND stay steady illuminated all the time with the power light?

Or should the car AGM and RECOND stay steady illuminated all the time with the power light?

The lights will illuminate as it works through the various stages of charging.

Usually on mine it’ll light up the 1st three dots.

This website isn't easy to post pics but all lights have gone out apart from the power light flashing.

Is this normal for the start of charging?

Thanks.

This website isn't easy to post pics but all lights have gone out apart from the power light flashing.

Is this normal for the start of charging?

Thanks.

No.

It should start to illuminate the green dots up as it starts the process.

You need to check your connections I think.

0a34cebc24d4b4b78281c7d1923d032e.jpg

You press the button to toggle through the modes (bike car/AGM etc)

The top row will then light up from left to right as the charging cycle is under way.

Connections are fine I think the battery may be beyond charging :'(

Don't know if your battery is an 096 or a 110. The 110 has a higher capacity and is slightly longer. Personally I would go for a Varta silverline they have a 5yr warranty and make most of the batteries used in VAG cars.
Tayna is usually the cheapest, due to COVID 19 there is a great demand for batteeries at the moment and prices seem to have crept up or they are out of stock.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/f21/ out of stock.
Yuasa are a good battery as well, in stock and cheaper. https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx9115/
If it's an 096
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/
I would drop the back seats and get in to check the battery size / part number, or just push the car out of the garage so you can get the boot open .

My other car is old enough to allow me to swop the battery myself but they have to be coded on the RS3 don't they?

Really gutted, key worker but my second car so it was in the lockup not used for 12 weeks while on non essential travel. Battery was only 6 months old.

Oh well sorted now, hopefully no second spike and another lockdown.

My other car is old enough to allow me to swop the battery myself but they have to be coded on the RS3 don't they?

Really gutted, key worker but my second car so it was in the lockup not used for 12 weeks while on non essential travel. Battery was only 6 months old.

Oh well sorted now, hopefully no second spike and another lockdown.

Should be coded in with VCDS or alike
Part number / vendor code / serial number.
So the battery module knows about the new battery.