Rs3 8v old vs new

S3_Sanni

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking to purchase the sportback rs3 but not sure which to get.. Is there much difference in the PFL and FL rs3s? I know the new rs3 has more power and virtual cockpit.. But is it worth paying £47k onwards for a new one? Whereas 16 reg rs3 is around £38-40k.

Would appreciate all opinions..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This has been covered before at length.
Depends what you want and how much cash or income you have. If money not an object, get a new one.
Personally, I do not see the VC being anything special as you still have to use the screen on the dash. Only when it is a true VC like the TT or R8, will it appeal to me. The extra power? yes, ok if you use it regularly, but the speed limit is still 70 80 depending on where you live, and the extra half second 0-62 - a good talking point in the pub, but in reality, most would not notice it...

Reactions: S3_Sanni
Get the old one and tune it, now you have 420hp and you saved lots of money and the car will not drop like a stone when you sell it.

This has been covered before at length.
Depends what you want and how much cash or income you have. If money not an object, get a new one.
Personally, I do not see the VC being anything special as you still have to use the screen on the dash. Only when it is a true VC like the TT or R8, will it appeal to me. The extra power? yes, ok if you use it regularly, but the speed limit is still 70 80 depending on where you live, and the extra half second 0-62 - a good talking point in the pub, but in reality, most would not notice it...
It's been discussed before but hardly any reviews. Now that FL rs3s are being delivered I thought some members could give opinions on what they think..

It's been discussed before but hardly any reviews. Now that FL rs3s are being delivered I thought some members could give opinions on what they think..

Save £10k and get a PFL. Sounds better, too.

Reactions: Evotion, Radman and S3_Sanni
the mechanical differences of the cars are listed out in every review of the new FL RS3 - biggest being brand new lighter and more powerful engine
tech differences - virtual cockpit is the big one
dynamic differences seem to be mostly - slightly better handling/less understeer, reworked Haldex software providing a more fun/chuckable car, its faster
lastly everyone says the pre-FL sounds better....but I think after some basic exhaust mods the FL will be good.
if you are going to significantly mod the car I would say get the pre-FL, otherwise go for new one

Reactions: Evotion and S3_Sanni
Old one louder too ;) people saying new one is faster but the one I drove didn't feel it and any reviews so far show FL getting to 60 etc in the same time as PFL.

If you love all the "shiny shiny" bits though get the FL as tech is much better.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Evotion, Radman and S3_Sanni
Looks like I'll be going for the pre face-lift then.. Now just to wait for the right one to pop up

Reactions: AudiNutta
Looks like I'll be going for the pre face-lift then.. Now just to wait for the right one to pop up

Don’t just base your final decision on that, get an extended drive in a facelift and open it up. Once you get into 3rd & 4th year above 5000rpm, the car is absolutely rapid.

Don’t just base your final decision on that, get an extended drive in a facelift and open it up. Once you get into 3rd & 4th year above 5000rpm, the car is absolutely rapid.
PFL isn't too bad in 3rd... ;)

Reactions: Radman, S3_Sanni and Terminator x
PFL isn't too bad in 3rd... ;)

Only slightly sluggish ;)

Nah, it’s been a year since I’ve driven a PFL and I couldn’t possibly comment.

What I will say is I got in the S3 6 days after driving the RS3 and felt totally disappointed. The S3 is much lighter through the rack (my wonky rack) and turn in isn’t as strong. The S3 doesn’t feel as connected, infact I would go as far as saying it’s very detached from the road in comparison. The S3 felt more nimble at low speeds however, seems to pick up speed better. I found while driving the RS, the big turbo takes time to get into its stride a little more than in the S3. I made a few last minute downshifts high up in the Rev range, the car doesn’t perform well because the turbo hasn’t spooled... in the S3 it is quicker to rev it out, the RS is better utilising the mid-range torque.

I've driven a PFL rs3 and it was quick!! Felt as quick as my old stage 2+ s3.. Fl rs3 i only wanted that for virtual cockpit but the more i think paying £8-10k for a fl is too much..

Was thinking of getting a tuning box for the rs3 when i get one.. Hopefully that won't cause no problems with any warranty...

I've driven a PFL rs3 and it was quick!! Felt as quick as my old stage 2+ s3.. Fl rs3 i only wanted that for virtual cockpit but the more i think paying £8-10k for a fl is too much..

Was thinking of getting a tuning box for the rs3 when i get one.. Hopefully that won't cause no problems with any warranty...

I've also looked into tuning boxes after having one on my previous car for nearly two years with no problems. Of course a proper map is better but it does bring in to play warranty issues. A tuning box also may do, but it's less likely.

After watching a video of a McLaren 570s outrun a 675LT with a racechip tuning box, I started looking into one. They're big in Germany and apparently offer a 2yr warranty for anything that goes wrong due to the tuning box. I'm not sure how well they would honour this, but it's at least something.

Reactions: FBF01
I've also looked into tuning boxes after having one on my previous car for nearly two years with no problems. Of course a proper map is better but it does bring in to play warranty issues. A tuning box also may do, but it's less likely.

After watching a video of a McLaren 570s outrun a 675LT with a racechip tuning box, I started looking into one. They're big in Germany and apparently offer a 2yr warranty for anything that goes wrong due to the tuning box. I'm not sure how well they would honour this, but it's at least something.
Tbh stock rs3 is fast enough.. But it's just one of them things you can't help yourself wanting more lol..

As per my FL RS3 review, it felt no quicker whatsoever but it was a brand new car.
However the delivery was a bit better and I for one loved the new cockpit.

The noise and the cost upgrade were the only real negatives for me getting an FL plus likely better depreciation on the PFL.

If money was no object at all, then of course I would get a new one. A new car is a new car with a new warranty.

Surely like all exhausts, the sports exhaust will improve as you put the miles on it. Can’t imagine they’ve tweaked it to make it quieter. Also, once the engines broken in, sure it will be very quick indeed with the power increase and the diet it’s been on

Reactions: Radman
Mine was like a machine gin from the first push of the bottom. It's a known fact that Audi have toned it down as I think they got their knuckles rapped

Mine was like a machine gin from the first push of the bottom. It's a known fact that Audi have toned it down as I think they got their knuckles rapped

Been watching a few videos on YouTube there and I think your right, it’s been toned down. Some people have said the pops and crackles have just totally disappeared which is nothing short of c r a p! Ah well, I’d sacrifice that for tweaked handling and some extra oomph. Each to their own as usual

Surely like all exhausts, the sports exhaust will improve as you put the miles on it. Can’t imagine they’ve tweaked it to make it quieter. Also, once the engines broken in, sure it will be very quick indeed with the power increase and the diet it’s been on
By all accounts that is exactly what they’ve done (i.e. designed it to be quieter). My wife is mortified by how loud the exhaust is on my PFL with Sport exhaust, even in ‘Comfort’ mode. General concensus is that ‘Audi got away with it’ on the PFL, but regulators were more stringent on the FL.

They’re both great cars and I’m sure he new one is incrementally better than the PFL due to the new engine which is lighter and more powerful. But the PFL is still 99% as good for most people, most of the time.

The other advantage of the PFL is it fits within the previous road tax regime and so will be several hundred pounds per year cheaper to tax for the first five years of ownership.

Reactions: S3_Sanni and FBF01
Been watching a few videos on YouTube there and I think your right, it’s been toned down. Some people have said the pops and crackles have just totally disappeared which is nothing short of c r a p!
My PFL hardly ever pops these days (and I know to cycle the Dynamic mode), and I did wonder whether it was after a service that it got quieter...

My PFL hardly ever pops these days (and I know to cycle the Dynamic mode), and I did wonder whether it was after a service that it got quieter...
Have you questioned them about this?

I would flip if my car came back from a service with the pops and crackles reduced.

Yes, my dealer told me that part of an auto load of firmware during my service adressed one or two issues including the exhaust. Rather than just toning down the noise, they tell me that Audi are increasingly looking at fuel economy across the range, and as the pops and crackles were in the main excess fuel being burned, they have pulled back on over-fuelling.
Maybe, maybe not. But I have noticed a different feel to things after the service.

@Hal Adams the update you refer to was just to close the valves in cars where they were open all the time, perhaps yours was one of them? For most of us that update wouldn't change anything. Mine goes in for a service every 6 months or so due to mileage and it hasn't changed at all during that time.

TX.

If that happened to me id be complaining lol..
Just to double check, is there any difference between a 2015 and 2016 rs3 except for the registration date?

@Hal Adams the update you refer to was just to close the valves in cars where they were open all the time, perhaps yours was one of them? For most of us that update wouldn't change anything. Mine goes in for a service every 6 months or so due to mileage and it hasn't changed at all during that time.

TX.
Possibly - I definitely felt something had changed. Maybe I am used to the pops and crackles that they go into the background. Either way, I am sure if you asked six different service centres, there will be six different answers!

Out of pure interest, what MPG are getting in fl or pfl. Not getting the car to be frugal on fuel, just interested. Get 30 in the R, would mid 20s seem reasonable?

Out of pure interest, what MPG are getting in fl or pfl. Not getting the car to be frugal on fuel, just interested. Get 30 in the R, would mid 20s seem reasonable?

I did 250 miles in the RS3, most of which was kicking its butt and 90% of it on the paddles even when pootling along. I averaged out at a calculated 19.8MPG, that’s really not bad... my S3 was getting 21MPG when brand new and not driven as hard as the RS. On a run the best I’ve seen calculated is 35MPG out of the S3, otherwise a typical week is 26-28MPG.

With a gentle foot I saw an indicated 35MPG in the RS. I’d say that it would be pretty easy to get an average of 25MPG.

8000 miles and I'm averaging 26mpg. Can easily get 35mpg on a 20+ mile journey sat at 70mph. It's no worse than my old Golf R. Helps having the long 7th gear.

Reactions: AudiNutta and FBF01
Right...cheers chaps!!! Didn’t think it would be that bad. Depends upon right foot obviously.

Old mans got my two brothers involved, both messaging me saying 1. Too quick and youl never ever be able to utilise the power 2. Youl draw unwanted attention as it’s too flashy 3. Fuel economy will be terrible 4. Your getting married and youl be settling down with kids so not the type of car you need 5. Nothing wrong with an S3/S5.

Honestly!!!!!!!!!! 32 not blooming 18

The Audi is no way 'too flashy' - that would be the Focus RS / AMG A45 / Civic with fins and spoilers all over the place. The RS3 is way more a sleeper than anything else out there - anyway, isn't your old man waiting for the Porker to be delivered? Pot meets kettle I think! They are probably more concerned about you blowing £50k on a motor I imagine rather than sinking it on a house, wife, kids, school fees and other similar wastes of cash.

I can get 380 miles out of a tank motorway cruising at real-world speeds.

And if you debadge the car it will be super-stealthy!

1. It's not too fast and you will be able to use all of the power.
2. You probably will draw unwanted attention.
3. Fuel economy is great considering the performance.
4. It's a spacious hatchback, perfect for wife and kids.
5. S3/S5's are boring to look at, hear and drive.

Reactions: ChrisRS3, AudiNutta, Terminator x and 2 others
The Audi is no way 'too flashy' - that would be the Focus RS / AMG A45 / Civic with fins and spoilers all over the place. The RS3 is way more a sleeper than anything else out there - anyway, isn't your old man waiting for the Porker to be delivered? Pot meets kettle I think! They are probably more concerned about you blowing £50k on a motor I imagine rather than sinking it on a house, wife, kids, school fees and other similar wastes of cash.

That’s what I thought, doesn’t stand out like the A45 I was looking at. It’s subtle in its styling, it’s just the exhaust which will give it away, but with the car in comfort, sure it will more than likely sneak under the radar!

Yeh, he is, but he’s minted loland im just doing pretty well for myself. Have a new house, 2 months in the door, married end of the year and all costs have been pretty much outlayed so financially more than sound. All being typically tight ha. My decision and mine only

That’s what I thought, doesn’t stand out like the A45 I was looking at. It’s subtle in its styling, it’s just the exhaust which will give it away, but with the car in comfort, sure it will more than likely sneak under the radar!

Yeh, he is, but he’s minted loland im just doing pretty well for myself. Have a new house, 2 months in the door, married end of the year and all costs have been pretty much outlayed so financially more than sound. All being typically tight ha. My decision and mine only
'married at the end of the year' - I imagine that is the bugbear. The parents will be thinking about responsibility, grandchildren, school fees, acting your age etc etc etc. Dropping £50k on a very rapid motor is their issue I suspect (in equal measure). If I were you I would just treat it as background noise (as I have lol)

Mind you, I have 2 girls of 9 & 12 who are as bang up for the car as I am so at least I have a support network!

Reactions: AudiNutta and FBF01
1. It's not too fast and you will be able to use all of the power.
2. You probably will draw unwanted attention.
3. Fuel economy is great considering the performance.
4. It's a spacious hatchback, perfect for wife and kids.
5. S3/S5's are boring to look at, hear and drive.

Agree with you on all points there! End of the day, don’t need to justify it to anybody. I can afford it and it’s what I want. Not taking another car for the sake of it, nor just to please him and others. I love cars, so it’s important for me to really love the car I’m driving. Boredom sets in quick usually but I don’t think the RS will be the norm.

I really was considering the S5, but at 32 I think it’s a bit..well, more suited to the likes of me in 5 years.

'married at the end of the year' - I imagine that is the bugbear. The parents will be thinking about responsibility, grandchildren, school fees, acting your age etc etc etc. Dropping £50k on a very rapid motor is their issue I suspect (in equal measure). If I were you I would just treat it as background noise (as I have lol)

Yeh, I am...which is coming in waaaaaaay to quickly. It’s the honeymoon I’m secretly looking forward too ha.

When I was through with the fiancé on Sunday there to see the parents, my Dad was like “we need a chat”. His opening line was straight to the point, “I don’t want you getting an RS3...blah blah blah” as my Mum just sat there arguing my point how it’s my choice, if I want it and can afford afford it then should get it. Soz Dad lol. Doesn’t know the deposit is in yet, il just drop the bombshell in Jan.

Also didn’t understand how the insurance wouldn’t be sky high, it’s 550. Also, by the time April comes around, il be married on the insurance and another year driving with hopefully continued no claims/points.