RS3 8V B&O Sound System Survey

Can you hear specific crackle noises in all speakers during music playback via bluetooth or SD card?

• Yes (PFL)

• Yes (FL)

• No (PFL)

• No (FL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ScottyW92

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just doing a quick survey to help me understand if i have a specific issue with my Audi RS3 8V B&O Sound System or if this is a common design fault with this particular model which is what my dealership is trying so hard to convince me of.

Issue: Audible crackle in all speakers when playing music through bluetooth or SD card which is more prevalent during mid frequency tones such as a section of piano music playing. Not evident on DAB/FM Radio or CD player.

Please answer according to your model for accurate results. Appreciate the help.
Pre-facelift (PFL) - 2016<=
Facelift (FL) - 2017>

Following this. I have the exact same.

PFL MMI HIGH / connect etc. W/B&O

Following this. I have the exact same.

PFL MMI HIGH / connect etc. W/B&O

Don't know how much research you've put into it but appears to be caused by the B&O system working at 48,000Hz but most music including those from spotify etc are at 44,100Hz. The crackle when playing via Bluetooth, internal hard disk and SD card is because the MMI only transcodes the outputs from CD and AMI to 48kHz before it passes the audiostream to the amplifier. And because the amplifier only handles 48kHz properly you get a crackle.

It's also confirmed that every Audi A3 regardless of the model year, MMI model, or sound system has this problem and only with model year 2017 (when Carplay / Android car is introduced) the problem is resolved. With B&O the crackle is just easier to hear.

My car is in with the dealership at the moment but they are refusing to do anything about it and in light of this new information I've found i can see why. The fight is with Audi on this one but I am hearing they are being resistant on the issue.