*RS3 8P buying advice needed*

aar007

Reaction score
Dear ASN community,

I'm looking into buying and RS3 8P, and I have a few questions:

1. I have noticed none of the advertised rs3 had a panoramic sunroof, was that never an option on the RS?

2. I love how sexy the wingback seats are, and they give the interior a very sporty vibe, but is it comfortable for a long drive? Or should I just stick to the normal sport seats?

3. I have noticed most ads mention haldex and gearbox oil changed recently, is the haldex something that usually causes problems? What are the parts that usually fail and I should keep an eye for when checking cars and their history?

4. Last but not least, is it much better to stick with audi approved cars? There are not many rs3 8ps with Audi

Cheers
A photo of my first love, Amy, a 1.4 TFSI A3 I owned for 5 years back in Egypt
IMG 20170423 WA0007

1. I have noticed none of the advertised rs3 had a panoramic sunroof, was that never an option on the RS?
.. never an option.

2. I love how sexy the wingback seats are, and they give the interior a very sporty vibe, but is it comfortable for a long drive? Or should I just stick to the normal sport seats?

.. marmite, love or hate thing, personally I’m not bucket shaped, and avoided them. Bolsters are know to show wear as it can be difficult getting in and out of them.
I didn’t go for fully electric either as I’m 6ft 3 and the motors take up too much height, but did manage to find one with electric lumbar.

3. I have noticed most ads mention haldex and gearbox oil changed recently, is the haldex something that usually causes problems? What are the parts that usually fail and I should keep an eye for when checking cars and their history?
.. no more or less than normal, just get regular serviced. Usual fails.. really depends on mileage and how it’s been cared for, if it’s been heavily modded. Ive not had anything , that I’d call a common fail.

4. Last but not least, is it much better to stick with audi approved cars? There are not many rs3 8ps with Audi
..Not necessarily, but I’d be tempted by an independent check if it wasn’t. I’d also research the car and see what can be found etc. No point picking up someone’s lemon.

.. never an option.

.. marmite, love or hate thing, personally I’m not bucket shaped, and avoided them. Bolsters are know to show wear as it can be difficult getting in and out of them.
I didn’t go for fully electric either as I’m 6ft 3 and the motors take up too much height, but did manage to find one with electric lumbar.

.. no more or less than normal, just get regular serviced. Usual fails.. really depends on mileage and how it’s been cared for, if it’s been heavily modded. Ive not had anything , that I’d call a common fail.

..Not necessarily, but I’d be tempted by an independent check if it wasn’t. I’d also research the car and see what can be found etc. No point picking up someone’s lemon.

Thanks Paul, very helpful

i have just purchased one,

i am currently trying to find a warranty cover that allows me to take the car elsewhere.

while i can afford audi prices i cannot afford their stuff ups and lack of knowledge of their own brand
this might be different in your country but here at the bottom of africa I seem to find all dealerships that have no idea what they are doing.

make sure you use proper fuel, these motors hated normal fuel and audi had to state that cars need a 10% eth mix to cure the detonation some earlier models were having.

dsg is prone to failure due to lack of service, most cars in RSA had dsg failures after 60k km because dealer mostly never did the service but hey we can stamp a book and send car back....

the chairs, wingback are hot, most of us with normal seats secretly lust after wingback

unfortunately the only comfortable car is 530d GTbut while i still have eyesight I Could not look at that everyday lol. but the normal seats are fine for 7 hour drives

I think the 8P Audi RS3 a superb piece of machinery!

Owned mine since 2011, one of the first available, and the car has proved near faultless. A number of updates for the first cars were completed by my own Audi dealer (I didn't purchase my car from them). The only issue I had that Audi didn't/couldn't sort, and yet easily sorted, though still experienced by others with 8P and 8V cars (both pre-face lift and face lift) was/is low speed brake squeal: sooo much written here on ASN... :readit:

I've been fortunate to assist and drive many owner cars and for me the biggest problem with the 8P RS3 has been the driver, most complainants should have purchased something else - and in most cases 'less' rather than 'more,' if you know what I mean.... :blink:

That said, those that understand the car and drive it appropriately seemingly have zero complaint and become long term owner drivers.

For me, the Audi RS3 remains the best all weather (using the appropriate tyres) 4-seat sports car available, and my own will remain mine for some time yet.

Best mod if any mod is needed is an uprated rear ARB; otherwise leave the car as is.

Reactions: Paul-RS6
Dear ASN community,

I'm looking into buying and RS3 8P, and I have a few questions:

Cheers
A photo of my first love, Amy, a 1.4 TFSI A3 I owned for 5 years back in Egypt
View attachment 172685

1) The 8P RS3 was never offered with a panoramic sunroof or I'd have had one though now glad I didn't - they can rattle and leak

2) Yes the wing-back seats are sexy and great when in - if young - but a pain to get into and out of (that bolster's a pain) when older; happy I've the 'comfort' seats...

3) No, just change the oil during regular service as advised; if you don't want/can't afford regular service then consider something else.

4a) Even Audi approved cars prove problematic, however, stick at it and Audi (not necessarily the dealer) WILL resolve any and all issues found: bad news travels fast at Audi...

4b) Audi dealers tend not to sell 5-year old cars: go purchase yours wherever and pass it to an Audi dealer for a FULL service :thumbs up:

BLUEY and SUZY

PS: I much, much prefer the 8P RS3, if not I'd have an 8V RS3 already, but I haven't... :blink:

Reactions: Paul-RS6 and Sandra