Routing an iPhone cable to the air vent, any tips welcomed!

D

delabourke

As per the title really,

I have a 12V to USB adapter plugged in, inside the centre arm rest, and I'm hoping to route a 3M lightning charge cable through to ideally pop out in or near the drivers side air vent (to the right of my steering wheel).

I'm assuming i'll need to remove the centre console plastics and probably the main section of the dash too in order to do this?

If anyone knows some good cable routes or tricks, that would be much appreciated!

audi-a6-allroad-3-0-tdi-quattro-23.jpg

The bottom of the dash comes off easy enough with a few T25 tor’s screws and a hard pull, don’t know about the center console though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom of the dash comes off easy enough with a few T25 tor’s screws and a hard pull, don’t know about the center console though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brilliant stuff, thanks! You don’t happen to have any links to guides/videos etc. do you?

That's an awkward cable run. Have you thought of simply coming from the fuse box that is hidden behind the 'end' of the instrument panel, just a few inches away instead.

Reactions: DonkeyIce
That's an awkward cable run. Have you thought of simply coming from the fuse box that is hidden behind the 'end' of the instrument panel, just a few inches away instead.
Ooooh that could be an idea! How would I make that work with regards to a USB Lightning cable? Piggy back off something?

Many years ago (when I had a C5) I had the viaMichelin navigation software running on a Palm (remember those!). The car power adaptor terminated in lighter plug so I hard wired a trailing lighter socket to the fuse panel and then simply plugged the plug in and hid all above the drivers footwell. You could do something similar with 12v USB plug

Reactions: DonkeyIce and delabourke
Many years ago (when I had a C5) I had the viaMichelin navigation software running on a Palm (remember those!). The car power adaptor terminated in lighter plug so I hard wired a trailing lighter socket to the fuse panel and then simply plugged the plug in and hid all above the drivers footwell. You could do something similar with 12v USB plug
I do remember palms (just), but what a visionary of technology you were in those days! The pre-cursor to the Sat Nav as we know it now.

Now I just need to find out how to access this fuse panel :)

It just pops off if you lever it gently, if you look about half way down its back edge there's a slot.
You'll need to use a multimeter to find a fuse that's live only when ignition is 'on' I guess.
You can find neat piggy back fuse extension leads like this on Ebay which make connecting up a doddle. When you cut your lightning lead you'll need to use the multimeter again to check which colour is +ve unless someone on here knows.