ROUGH START UP -2.0tdi diesel??

A4RAJ

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Have been running my 2007 audi 2.0 tdi for a few months now and generally very happy with it.

I have got a problem on start up. Sometimes its takes a long time to start(have to turn the key longer to make it start) and makes a rattle sound once it does and sometimes puff of black smoke would appear. Then sometimes it starts up normally.

Is this pointing to starter motor?? Someone mentioned my flywheel but if there was a proble with this I would hear it on idle??

Once the car has started it is fine on idle and no noises.

Any advise appreciated.

If the engine is turning over fast enough your starter, batter and flywheel are most likely fine.
I would almost certainly say its either fuel or glow plug related
Glow plugs are easiest to look at first, look on youtube search for test glow plugs
Then have a look at the fuel tank end and make sure the electric pump is working this pumps fuel up to the common rail high pressure pump, Im guessing its common rail?
If you get someone else to turn the ign on engine not running you can normally hear the pump whirring for a few seconds
You could also have a minor air leak into the fuel line, this then allows the fuel to run back to the fuel tank overnight so you have to crank it to get the fuel up to the engine
Im not sure if you can get the in tank pump to run on its own for a slightly longer time, this would prime the fuel system back up again?