Rough idle

Tank.

Reaction score
Ive only noticed this some of the time which i find strange, ive turned off aircon thinking it might have been related to the compressor but made no change.

A couple of times theres been a rough idle, not hunting revs but almost what i can describe as a misfire, the car shakes a couple times abruptly then continues to idle and does it again.

Any ideas?
Cars getting full scan tomorrow night, does ECU save faults? or does it have to occur at time of scan to be present in results

Could be injectors, fuel filter, bad fuel, etc. When I picked up my A6 one of the first things I did was to change the fuel filter and then ran it on v-power for a couple of months.

Cars at 55k could there be much risk at this point of the chain tensioners going bad?

Unlikely but it's an engine and any fault could occur regardless of age and mileage. I would start with a scan and cheep things like filters & fuel.

It does sound really tappety particularly on the left bank, might it be worth some tappet treatment to add to the oil?

Will try doing the fuel filter too.

Dealer stated a full service was carried out but can never really trust what they say

What is full service history! With a car with only 55K on the clock that could mean only 2 or 3 services if it's on AVS. Regardless of what the book says get a full service done, fuel, oil, air, pollen and fresh oil. Then stop with the AVS service do it every 10K or yearly.

5 stamps from glasgow audi and a 6th from the dealer pre sale

Anyone used that wynns EGR cleaner spray? Is it safe to use?

i did read that thread before, a little daunting stripping bits off the engine first, im not shy to tinker a bit but remove the engine cover and i s**t myself a little bit too many pipes wires and plugs for me

FYI... and hope it would help.

I've used EGR cleaner and although it helped a bit after 4-5 days it was back to 'normal'... i recently changed fuel filter and cleaned EGR (large amount of gunk had been removed) and car is much more responsive/agile now but rough idle is still somewhat present (albeit not as rough and happens less often). Something that definitely does not help in my case is short London journeys which is a killer for DPF based TDI's :(. My next 'project' will be to remove the manifold and give it a good clean before i tackle injectors as i'm sensing that one of them is not far off from in need of replacement.

but in general for last couple of months I've been using Shell V Power/Nitro and do use Injector cleaner additive's every other filling. Improvements are noticeable but tbh I'd seriously question reliability of recent Audi's (from 2005 onwards).

Hope that helps

In all honesty ive noticed a reduction in economy since using it, sounds strange i know.

I'm probably better stripping it off and cleaning properly, although in the long run I'll be looking to get the dpf off and EGR blanked off

In the UK the V6 TDi does not have DPF unless customer spec it, in 3yrs of being glued to forums only come across 1 V6 TDi in the 2004 -2009 range with a DPF.

In your spare wheel well/service log is a data sticker.

7GN = Has ability to have DPF but not fitted

7GG = DPF fitted

Ahh spot on, even better i guess, one less thing to pay to remove haha