Rough idle, 3 error codes

Jenno007

Reaction score
I've started experiencing a rough idle (engine is shaking quite a bit and the revs bounce around a little) on my A3 and decided to scan it to see what error codes I got.

I got the following error codes

Now with some searching around on google I found that these error codes can cause a rough idle (not so much 18010). The modifications I have on my car are as follows;

Front mount intercooler with new piping (I have tested and found 1 boost leak which I fixed but I will retest on the weekend)
New silicone turbo intake pipe, fairly sure this has no leaks, it is very hard to see where the TIP joins the turbo but it is hose clamped on pretty tight
Pod air filter, I have read that the oil's on these pod filters can affect the MAF sensor?

I'd appreciate if anyone gave me the order in which they would check issues potentially causing these error codes depending on which is more likely to be resulting in the rough idle,

ie clean maf, check for leaks, change spark plugs, clean injectors.

Thanks!

00561 - Ross-Tech Wiki
00561 - Mixture Adaptation: Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded

this suggests the mixture is running lean as its trying to add more than 25% of fuel (block 032 will confirm)

..which could be due to...
16486/P0102/000258 - Ross-Tech Wiki
16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low

Suggests the MAF sensor is faulty...

Had to search your posts to find out what car you have... its important to post model/year/engine code... as yours is an AGU its does everything from the MAF... is the MAF is tired then this can lead to rough running... unfortunately you can't just unplug the MAF to see if the engine runs better like us wideband boys as the AGU's don't run like that...

Obvs check for air leaks (pipes under the mani, PCV pipes etc) first but the MAF code seems to suggest its causing the issue... if its reading low then more air is coming in than the ECU is expecting and it will be running lean... ecu is adjusting to cope by adding fuel but you have now exceeded the ECU's fuel trim capabilities... (+/- 25%)

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty!

Sorry forgot to mention the engine code.

When I get home tonight I'll clean the MAF and see if that helps. I might even treat my baby and buy a new MAF sensor :sm4:

I'll see if that helps fix anything and go from there.

Thanks again

Tuffty, I cleared the fault codes and cleaned the MAF. The car is still idling like a truck (not very smooth and revs bounce up and down a tiny bit) and I drove around with a bit of WOT but now the fault codes wont come back. How long until they should appear again or should they come back instantly? With no fault codes it's hard to well where I should be looking haha

Just did a VAGCOM log and these two screens stood out for me, I didn't really know what I was looking for but these values didn't seem right to me. I'd appreciate if anyone could give me a hint as to what I should be looking for

5ug4CzW.jpg

The arrow on the maf should be pointing the way the air is flowing correct? So away from the pod filter and towards the the turbo? If so I have put it on the correct way around

hi jenno i have had the exact problems you are describing rough bouncy idle and maf too low fault
first off check for vac leaks as these really made a difference on mine (the vac pipe from the fuel pressure regulator had snapped clean off then found a couple of niggly ones as well
then my next port of call was the throttle body took it off and it was a right state in there loads of caked on crud so a can of carb cleaner and some elbow grease and that was all good and made again a nice difference idle was smoother but still felt a bit down on power
the only fault code i was getting at this time was the maf (g70) signal too low and it would come back instanly when cleared i have just this minute got back from euros where i fitted a new bosch maf and wow the difference was staggering the car is so much smoother to drive and as of yet (only done 10 miles so early days) i am no longer getting any fault codes
i hope this is to some help to you or anyone else with similar problems

Just had a look at the vac hose off the fuel pressure regulator and it looked fine to me. It was hard to see though as it is tucked down by the oil dipstick and it's pitch black here so I'll have a better look in the morning! Thanks for the suggestion though. I really have no idea what is causing all these problems anymore. I might replace all the hoses in the engine bay with silicone hoses to completely rule them out!