Rotating tyres. Sensor issue?

Jimbo10

Reaction score
Fronts need replacing but the rears are at 4mm (still factory fitted tyres).

I was intending moving both front wheels to the back and then taking it to get new rubber, so the new boots would be on the rear.

However. I’ve been reading on a different site that this can cause issues with the tyre pressure sensors (by moving the rear alloys to the front or vice versa) because each sensor is calibrated to a specific position i.e. rear left, front right etc.

Is this correct or utter sh*t?

Just relearn the pressures when the light comes on. Easy.

as above if its the ABS version, would only be an issue if it uses the valves with pressure sensors in them as fitted to some RS3s.

I would say that is b*llocks. The sensor has no idea of placement just either wheel rotation diameter or air pressure. Just re-calibrate to your set pressure settings.

Having recently retro fitted the Direct (wheel sensors) type to an RS3 I can tell you it doesn’t matter on this newer type of system.

There’s an option to set the system in the MMI, once you set the pressures then store them, this then gives the module it’s ‘baseline’ to work to.

So if you set it to the factory sticker and it loses say 7psi the display on that wheel will turn from green to Amber.

Reactions: Khufu
I don’t really understand the question. You won’t have any problem with the MMI providing you store the new values after you have ensured correct pressures all around but really you might as well replace all four tyres for complete safety. 4mm may well have a few thousand miles left but it is not all about the driven wheels. Never compromise with tyres. You wouldn’t try to climb a mountain in flip flops (I hope but people do...)

Depending on mileage driven per annum, 4mm could be quite a long time. I can’t really see the point of changing tyres with 4mm still on them. If you argue to do that, then why not at 6mm or 8mm.
Of course, if there’s any uneveness in the wear, then replace them. But if you can get another 4 or 5 months (like I would) then keep them for a while longer, but keep your eye on them.

Reactions: Matt Titanium and Jimbo10
On indirect system, there's no sensors in the wheels, it's only the ABS sensors sensing the difference in wheel speed compares to the stored value (tire diameter decreases as it deflates) That's why indirect system can't detect until the tire deflated to certain point.

On direct system, the sensors in the wheels don't require calibrating, the TPMS module inside the rear bumper automatically calculates the signal's distance to identify the sensor location, that's why it's important the TPMS module is fitted to the correct position. But you can still code the sensor IDs to TPMS module with VCDS/OBD11 if have to.

It doesn't matter if you rotate the tires all day long, as long as you store the intended pressure after each rotation with either system.