Rotating rumbling noise

leeboss87

Reaction score
Hi all I've got this rotating rumbling noise coming from my front left, it started months ago when just turning right but now is much louder and is there when going straight. I don't have the noise when I'm doing less than 20mph or when I'm turning left.
I've changed all the bushes including the whole wishbone, brakes, driveshaft, bearing, tyre, not sure how much more there is to try.
Any help will be much appreciated
cheers.
thought I'd better mention its a 2002 1.9 tdi non quattro

Yes mate I was convinced that was the problem so I had a new drive shaft fitted but noise is the same or maybe worse

Yeh I had all the pulleys and belts changed at my last service. It sounds like really bad road noise, I tried switching with another alloy but still same noise same place. Could a worn clutch or flywheel cause this noise through the wheel?

Have you checked for any loose bits and bobs stuck in the engine bay. Maybe somone dropped a socked or something?

In my experience a wheel bearing is more of an annoying rumble that increases in volume with speed. But if you've got no play on any of the wheels than that's out. Have you checked all the wheels?

Reactions: Alex C
Thought about the bearing, but most people have told me the bearing would be a high pitched noise rather than a rumble, also I have checked for any play but there is nothing obvious.

In my experience a wheel bearing is more of an annoying rumble that increases in volume with speed. But if you've got no play on any of the wheels than that's out. Have you checked all the wheels?

When my wheel bearing was knackered it was definitely a rumble - no high pitched squealing whatsoever; squealing would make me think brakes not wheel bearings

wheel bearing for me was a low hum/droning type noise.... Maybe mine werent as far gone as his.

When my wheel bearing was knackered it was definitely a rumble - no high pitched squealing whatsoever; squealing would make me think brakes not wheel bearings

wheel bearing for me was a low hum/droning type noise.... Maybe mine werent as far gone as his.

All wheels have been checked and are solid. Is it worth changing the bearing then even though there is no play in the wheel?
As it is definitely a low droning type sound, it almost sounds like the wheel isn't properly round because it's not a constant sound.

A knackered bearing doesn't always have play in it. Changed many at work that were incredibly loud but had no play at all.

Jack both front wheels up in the air and SUPPORT WITH AXLE STANDS (very important from a safety standpoint).

Start engine and have someone drive it up to the speed where the noise is most audible.

With the wheels spinning in the air get underneath and use a long screwdriver as a make shift stethoscope (put metal part on the HUB (NOT anything that is spinning) and ear on the handle). Compare noise to the other side. If they're both quiet then put it on the diff casing/gearbox casing try and locate the noise.

Also check your tyres for uneven wear (bald edges/feathered or stepped edges)

Reactions: leeboss87, daithi23 and Alex C
As above, only way you'll know for sure without spending a small fortune to just check.

A knackered bearing doesn't always have play in it. Changed many at work that were incredibly loud but had no play at all.

Jack both front wheels up in the air and SUPPORT WITH AXLE STANDS (very important from a safety standpoint).

Start engine and have someone drive it up to the speed where the noise is most audible.

With the wheels spinning in the air get underneath and use a long screwdriver as a make shift stethoscope (put metal part on the HUB (NOT anything that is spinning) and ear on the handle). Compare noise to the other side. If they're both quiet then put it on the diff casing/gearbox casing try and locate the noise.

That's brilliant cheers mate, much appreciated, that will be the first job of the weekend.
Tyres are wearing pretty much the same, no obvious difference anyway.
Will be back on soon to report my findings.

The wheel bearing route sounds like the culprit, I had a similar problem on a VW Golf V6 4mo it took ages to work out the flippin bearing was shot my mate owns a garage so was very interested in finding the noise both ends of the drive shaft bearings were worn and once replaced cured it!

this

the only time I got movement on noisy bearings was on my old mini that had taper roller bearings, 8L's have twin race ball bearings, you can rust damage on the tracks, which is very noisy, but no play in the bearing

if you don't fancy getting under the car with the wheels spinning, you can put the screw driver against the strut centre rod in the engine bay, but keep away from the big spinning wheels of death!!

I also had a trye that sounded just like a wheel bearing, so if the bearing check out ok, swap the tyres round whilst its up on jacks, see if the noise moves

oh, and turn off any ESP/Traction control, with both wheels in the air, they spin at different speeds and the ESP spazzes out big time

Just a quick update if anybody is interested, tried the method of jacking the car up getting it up to speed then checking for vibrations using a long screwdriver (excellent method by the way). It was definitely the front left so changed the bearing and no more noise or vibrations :)
Thanks for everyone's input greatly appreciated

Reactions: Frankus