Rota grid drifts

Gmac

Reaction score
so looking at possibly getting some 18" 9.5j et 23 rota grid drifts.. My car is on standard suspension and currently running rstt reps which are 18" 8j et35 with 15mm spacers front and 20mm rear.

My question is...and believe me I've searched and read through every previous thread on rota's...how on earth are the front wheel arches able to take 9.5j width? People seem to manage but I've stuck the numbers in to will they fit.com. http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...ameter2=18&wheelwidth2=9.5&offset2=23#content

And by that the rota's will stick out 16.1mm more than my current setup, which by looking at the car they would definately be beyond the arch... This is apic took today.. Not great..but gives you an idea...below..

So is a case that they will always stick out beyond the arch but it's the tyre stretched that brings it back in?

45572a18f21b7c92032bb84afbc4b84b_zps44d07de1.jpg

can't answer your question, but I may be interested in your current set of wheels if you are selling.

I have seen a for sale thread on here recently with a set of rota's, and the fact that they had some stone chipping on the rims, so they must go a bit beyond to get that. tyres were stretched too, exposing the rim.

nice looking wheel tho :)

Cheers Jaykay...could be an option... Still not convinced that the rota's are right for me...

Does anyone have any pics of rota's on standard ride height?

It seems for them to look right the car has to be lowered circa 40mm and then spacers fitted also for the fronts to clear suspension... And if spaced at the front then this is only going to put the wheel further out...

As it's understood, if any part of the wheel assembly protrudes beyond the arch it falls foul of Construction & Use regs. Was chatting to a traffic cop at work a week or so ago and got onto the whole tyre stretch discussion. Apparently it's something that's been discussed on a couple of police forums and not good news for fans of the whole Euro look.

Not sure how Caterhams etc sit in this mind

Last edited:
Interesting point that Orinoco, could do without getting pulled over by the cops...hmm, more food for thought..

On a standard height car, they will look silly im afraid :(
That's what I'm worried about, and then im going to have to spend more money on getting the car lowered, something which im not really wanting to do or need to...unless there is a decent and cheapish way of lowering the car, springs I suppsoe as apposed to coil overs?

This is how the car is sitting at the moment. As far as I'm aware it's on standard set up. The springs are black and haven't seen anything in its history of it being dropped. It doesn't appear to sit high on the 18's..

7da13af6fc7c3b4157409d2a67abcaa0_zps83c44f8a.jpg

That doesnt look standard to me, id say its had a drop.

Here's me thinking it was standard! Lol going to have to get in amongst it and see what's going on!

mine is running 9.5 rota's with spacers and they fit perfect and only may catch the wheel arch liner if i throw it into a corner hard but no body work rubbing

Reactions: A3-Lee
Thanks for that Dan, what is your car lowered with and what spacers are you running, and is that with an et23? Oh an what tyre spec? Cheers!
Edit... Got the answers by looking at your own thread... So it's on weitec coilovers 25 and 20 mm rear and front, and et38 with 225/40/18's...

Last edited:
Ok so managed to get time this afternoon to see what suspension is on the car....I'll let the pictures do the talking but it looks like it is standard, and perhaps the picture above is the car sitting down hill and perhaps slightly weighted on the offside....

Unless of course these aren't normal OEM springs...

are these calipers and discs standard, apart from the paint job name spacer..def got audi rings on caliper.

2bba5ca12c1b136a166cd56ca3ab786e_zps2db96b29.jpg

5e2f217fa175b1beef26135044326a0a_zpse21453b8.jpg

12584be71ab8f9de73d2ced4f08f49af_zps569ba978.jpg

Hmm, yeh no coloured spots like oem ones have, maybe cheap aftermarket put on by previous owner..looks fairly new, going to have a route through receipts, will have a check of the fronts tomorrow... Plot thickens...putting together a plan for new wheels...

Are the discs standard?

Last edited: