Ross Tech rules for limited VCDS cable usage

tcardio

Reaction score
I have a few Audi's so I guess its time to purchase the new dongle as the site says the older software is going legacy and the newer software is limited to a certain amount of cars for use unless my wallet opens up. I understand the business model but I will miss showing up at a GTG and helping other enthusiasts with their problems

Reactions: jonjay
Maybe try reading what RossTech have written on this, I have (again) as I need to upgrade, it seems like you will always get asked if you want to add a car to the VINs already stored, if you answer "NO" then you will be limited to what you can do. Fault code reading/clearing is VINless, as maybe resetting service indicators(I'm not clear about that one), performing adaption will be VIN limited as will recoding controllers. I'm buying the 10VIN option as 3VIN seems to be a bit "short" for my usage - I think, and I'd rather end this version's life with an unused VIN than need to buy a VIN top-up!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Maybe try reading what RossTech have written on this, I have (again) as I need to upgrade, it seems like you will always get asked if you want to add a car to the VINs already stored, if you answer "NO" then you will be limited to what you can do. Fault code reading/clearing is VINless, as maybe resetting service indicators(I'm not clear about that one), performing adaption will be VIN limited as will recoding controllers. I'm buying the 10VIN option as 3VIN seems to be a bit "short" for my usage - I think, and I'd rather end this version's life with an unused VIN than need to buy a VIN top-up!

Me too, I purchased the the 10VIN option - registered with and "Finalize registration" from Ross-Tech today :readit:

I bought the latest hex-v2 3 vin version , but haven’t used any of its “lives” or vins yet as it’s free to just clear and view fault codes.

Thinking of selling it, and getting the WiFi one instead now.

They don't seem to be pushing the WiFi model as much as I thought they would, in fact when WiFi was talked about initially, I thought that it was going to be the only way they would go, I'm quite happy using a cable though.

So far I also have not "included" any of our car yet within the 10VIN thing.

I had an annoying thing happen when I bought my VCDS HEX-V2, my UK based reseller seemed to try to make things easy, so he initialised my registration with Ross-Tech, that meant that he posted my VCDS, and hours later I got the registration "code" from Ross-Tech in an email, with instructions on how to complete the registration - 2 options, "as supplied by Ross-Tech" and "as supplied by a reseller", but I waited until my VCDS arrived next day, and foolishly used the instructions on registration that came in the box, from my supplier! The spelling of my name and my location were spelt wrong, so I thought only one time to sort this out, ie right now, so that kicked off another new registration for my dongle which said that my approval was being considered and not just approved. Anyway it seems that things worked out okay though the details on my first laptop are wrong but are right on my second laptop, such is life!

Edit:- I have still to use it on the car that forced my upgrading, my daughter's time is precious to her, so maybe this weekend she will appear and I can log then clear all the stored faults that should have cleared at PDI!

Can anyone help - how can I find how many VINs are left on a V2 Home version?

Can anyone help - how can I find how many VINs are left on a V2 Home version?

Open VCDS and click the 'about' tab.

Just to confirm what others have said, code reading and clearing does not use any VINs but service reset and any adaptations does. You will always be prompted though.

Thanks, I did ask the supplier shortly after and should have come back to close the question.
I have used two lives, and have two new cars, so it is £169 for another ten numbers, but I think - for the limited use I have - that I will sell it and have ordered an OBD11. I will see how it performs first and if ok, sell the VCDS.

Thanks again.

Thanks, I did ask the supplier shortly after and should have come back to close the question.
I have used two lives, and have two new cars, so it is £169 for another ten numbers, but I think - for the limited use I have - that I will sell it and have ordered an OBD11. I will see how it performs first and if ok, sell the VCDS.

Thanks again.

Well did you take the leap into OBD11 ownership? One thing about OBD11 that I seem to have picked up on is, normally if you scan a car and there is a newer version of software for any controllers available for that car, OBD11 will report that in its scan results, now that could be quite handy to have though it would mean that RossTech would need to keep themselves up to date with VW Group S/W updates - which is what OBD11 seem to be doing - so far!

Not yet! But thanks for reminding me!

I held off as they told me it was not yet fully compatible with Apple for its full use (but not to worry, as it will be soon and probably will be the same unit) - it was the probably that put me off. I was going to wait until they said all was fully comaptible and buy one then. I must email them tomorrow...

Open VCDS and click the 'about' tab.

Just to confirm what others have said, code reading and clearing does not use any VINs but service reset and any adaptations does. You will always be prompted though.

A bit in replying to that posting, I was initially going to question that "service reset" needs you to hand out VIN so use up a life, but on rethinking that, I must have serviced both our cars prior to upgrading to V2, so that means "service rest" will get done using Carista as I've owned that long enough to not get charged for using that function - unless anything has changed, I'll find out in 6 months. I've only just now used up the first "life/VIN" by recoding the battery on a friends Audi A6, now I need to focus on requesting maybe £20 to cover replacing a "life/VIN" before helping the next person out! I took this battery change to be a part of a learning experience for me, so I did not charge for using up that life!

Exactly that. With my old V1 I wouldn't ever charge but with the V2 the VINs soon get used up so perhaps a good shout to charge £20