Roof Rails

listers_socks

Reaction score
Evening,

One of the requirements of the new S3 I am ordering is the ability to actively use a roof rack for bikes and storage when needed. It is something I have missed on the M3 due to the carbon roof.

Am I right that if I don't specify the roof rails as an option, that this kind of thing will be fine? https://store.audi.co.uk/audi-a3-s3-and-rs-3-sportback-roof-bars-8v4071126.html

Also I just wanted to check, and possibly a stupid question, but the factory option roof rails are not just for show are they? i.e. stick on, but properly fitted ones.

Thanks

Factory roof rails are bolted through the roof. Not stick on. There are bars that bolt to the roofbars or the ones in your link grips to the side of the roof. Both are pretty sturdy enough to hold a decent load. Not sure how the Audi ones in your link goes on but some of the ones I’ve used before can mark or deform the rubber seals when you remove them as it goes into that part of roof where the doors seals meet the roof/car

Reactions: listers_socks
Evening,

One of the requirements of the new S3 I am ordering is the ability to actively use a roof rack for bikes and storage when needed. It is something I have missed on the M3 due to the carbon roof.

Am I right that if I don't specify the roof rails as an option, that this kind of thing will be fine? https://store.audi.co.uk/audi-a3-s3-and-rs-3-sportback-roof-bars-8v4071126.html

Thanks

I'm awaiting collection of my new A3 start of March. I wanted the roof bar option and decided against the bars you mention above. I think bars like this can sometimes leave marks, but also I think it improves the lines of the car when fitted with integral roof rails, so I've gone for silver on Monsoon Grey car. The code you want for the genuine bars in my set-up is 8V4071151A . I picked up a new set from an Audi dealer last week for £139 delivered. A bargain as they list full price at near twice this. e-bay is your friend for this.

Colin

Thanks all

Couple of follow up questions....

Fitting of the oem bars afterwards - is this easy job or requires drilling & bolting? Or are the holes already there for this? As the only option is black roof rails (assume as mine is black edition) and I am not 100% sure of black on the Nano Grey. But if easy to retrofit then leaves options.

With regards to the bars I linked to, I need to do some research on fitting as well as potential issues mentioned. Had a thought that even they might need bolting/fitting permanently and not just clip on. So need to find that out, as well as someone who has them on the s3 to see if they cause marks etc.

Thanks again

It wouldn’t be something I would retrofit.
It’s quite a big job, half interior out to get the headlining out. Then drilling the car. 1 slip and you gonna need some bodywork. Then reassemble hoping you having broke a clip or damaged the headliner.
Too much to go wrong if you ask me.

Thanks all

Couple of follow up questions....

Fitting of the oem bars afterwards - is this easy job or requires drilling & bolting? Or are the holes already there for this? As the only option is black roof rails (assume as mine is black edition) and I am not 100% sure of black on the Nano Grey. But if easy to retrofit then leaves options.

Thanks again

If you want black then Whispbar and Thule make excellent bars. Try https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=roofbar&query=8081
but search the manufacturers sites for the correct images. One of these manufacturers make a bar that sweeps low across the roof, is very aerodynamic and could be left on permanently as it looks so good.

Colin

It wouldn’t be something I would retrofit.
It’s quite a big job, half interior out to get the headlining out. Then drilling the car. 1 slip and you gonna need some bodywork. Then reassemble hoping you having broke a clip or damaged the headliner.
Too much to go wrong if you ask me.

No I wouldn’t be retro fitting if that’s what’s involved.

The audi roof bars I have, have pins that sit inside a small hole recessed inside the top of door jam. They have a smooth rubber backing plate that rests on top of the roof.
You are supplied with a hex T bar that you screw the Allen bolt that clamps around door jam and to roof. These are preset torque wise and when tightened up can no longer be over tightened.
You can fit them on your own but if concerned about your paintwork get someone else the other side of the car.
Take minutes to fit and unfit and work a treat, would recommend

Forget to mention I don’t have roof rails fitted