Roof Liner Sagging

Mothy69

in gear but clutch slipping
Reaction score
Hello folks - I've got an annoying & fairly common problem (I assume). I have searched the forum but cant see anything related.

My fabric roof liner on my avant is sagging, front to back - over 50% of it. Has anyone got a faq or any tips for repair? I dont really want to take it all out - I'd rather try to fix / glue in situ

thanks for any help

best way would be to remove and retrim

there would be no way to reattach it in-situ because
1- the glue would have come unviable so you'd need to use new glue
2- you need to reattach right to the edges = you HAVE to remove the roof card
3- removal and replacement of the thin foam layer needs doing otherwise it'll look bumpy and crap!

Get yourself some plastic car trim prying tools, screwdrivers and torx bits. On my S3 just had to start undoing grab handles, sun visors, interior lights, a-, b-, c- pillars, pull away the rubber door lining if it's holding the card in place and maneuvre it out the back of the car, or however you would get it maneuvred out of a sedan.

Pretty simple and self explanatory when you start, if it gets stuck there's got to be somewhere holding onto it (missed screw, but of door rubber, tucked into panelling)

Also stick screws that you take out back in loosely to where they belong otherwise you risk losing them

Reactions: Mothy69
LOL

Yeah it's a little bit of work but very doable. This is my first Audi and yes some things feel like they're going to break (like some of the pressure clips) but I've found its fine!

Anyway. Best of luck whichever route you decide

and then you have to do this!

there's tons of foam that needs removing before the re-trim can be done

Attachments

• IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    850.7 KB · Views: 1,253
Like a moulded hard plastic/woven material

that's definitely taking the ****. go with the 120 quid place - ask to choose your fabric too (i got them to re-trim my A-pillars to match the new roof)

best way would be to remove and retrim

there would be no way to reattach it in-situ because
1- the glue would have come unviable so you'd need to use new glue
2- you need to reattach right to the edges = you HAVE to remove the roof card
3- removal and replacement of the thin foam layer needs doing otherwise it'll look bumpy and ****!

Hi, Best glue to use would be Trimfix Headlining spray adhesive you can find it on online.

My S4 headliner did this. Removed it which only took about an hour. Hardest bit was getting it out of the boot as mine is a saloon. First time I just tried re sticking the original fabric but that lasted all of a week. Got some material that is almost identical, maybe a shade light but hardly noticeable. Removed again and spent a whole day doing it properly and refitted the next morning. Hardest part is getting it to sit nicely in the contours around the sun visors and little flap above the mirror.

I did this recently on my S4 avant. I opted to buy a new replacement direct from audi, it is expensive (bout £350 ish) but no need to mess about for hours scraping foam off etc. Just depends on your budget. It is easily do-able in a day, just take your time and be careful not to break anything. Only bit I found scary was having to "pop out" the Right & Left boot trims, they feel like they are not going to come out, but once you have removed the couple of screws holding them, just give them a short sharp yank & they just pop out of the clips! I followed the procedure from audi to remove it (I have a copy of elsawin) & it was quite simple really.

I did get this done. Cost me about £140 at a van camper conveyor. Was well worth doing. My car is on it's final death bed. Runs fine & lumpy as it ever did. Just about to get a new 06 plate 2.0 tfsi s line quattro