Roof fin

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
does anyone know the reason why some B8/8.5s have the roof fin and some don’t?

I’m pretty sure it’s not for the radio as I read somewhere the radio aerial is built into the rear window

I had the fins on both my old 2008 B8s, (SE & S-Line) but my buddy bought a 2011 b8 S-Line and it doesn’t have a fin.

That's what I have been told previously! Interested to know now as my 2009 S4 has one (and Nav)

Shark fin antennas are for both / either nav and Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 08 B8 S-line has Bluetooth, phone prep in the armrest and the Fin (no Nav though).

It seems that 2011 cars onwards only have the fin if they have nav, but still not sure about earlier cars

Maybe in later cars with diversity, but in earlier cars with earlier version of DAB I think that it is only the rear window aerial that is used.

I think there are different types of fin. Some act as a mobile phone aerial only. Others have mobile phone and/or GPS. I think the Americans can have SIRIUS aerial/receiver as well.

I have the fin but don’t have DAB

Mine has a sim card slot in the dash (MMI+?) and I always assumed it was for if I was to ever stick a sim in.

The fin is used for Nav, Bluetooth with phone prep in the arm rest and DAB. You can have bluetooth without the fin but thats in the cars without phone prep.