Roof bars - S3

thebluefox

Reaction score
I'm after constructive advice please, not opinions.

As some of you might know I'm off driving round Europe for 2 weeks with the Mrs. We're going to be camping a lot as it is cheaper and offers a lot more flexibility in what we do when we're there.

Because of this though, we need to (apparently) take a lot of stuff. So much stuff that I'm slightly concerned it won't fit in the car. This has made me start to think the unthinkable - could I get roof bars and a roof box on my 3 door S3, without permanent fixings and marking the roof?

Has anyone done it yet? What are my options?

Pop into Halfords and ask their opinion on what is best suited to your car..:friends:

Not done it myself but seen it done with bars and two bikes on the roof. Guy I spoke to had no issues. His setup was a thule one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv
Pop into Halfords and ask their opinion on what bass bin, eye bleaching seat covers, or cheap multi fit alloy wheels are best suited to your car..:friends:

Edited for truth, and to reflect typical Halfords skill set. Well, at least it's typical in East London... :wink:

Buy the Thule set, you won't go wrong. If your going to have it mounted for ages though (like months), I'd put some of that 3M clear protective tape over the cars mounting points. The Thule kit won't damage anything, but grit and general road filth might dull the paint a bit if it gets between the Thule foot pad and the painted surface.

Reactions: thebluefox, Bandicoot51 and pburv
Edited for truth, and to reflect typical Halfords skill set. Well, at least it's typical in East London... :wink:

Buy the Thule set, you won't go wrong. If your going to have it mounted for ages though (like months), I'd put some of that 3M clear protective tape over the cars mounting points. The Thule kit won't damage anything, but grit and general road filth might dull the paint a bit if it gets between the Thule foot pad and the painted surface.
Lol.I did have my doubts when posting that one GSB..Thanks for the edit.....:haha:

Reactions: GSB
I've got the Audi one from my dealer on discount comes virtually pre assembled and works well and doesn't mark the paintwork providing its clean underneath first. I notice you have Pano roof you'll be pleased to know you'll be able to use it with bars on too.

Reactions: pburv and thebluefox
Keep an eye on the mountings though, they can slacken off a bit.
enjoy your vacation.............

Massive thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to go for the roof bars idea - not ideal but I think it might be the only way.