Rolty's A3 1.8 Turbo build thread

ROLTYA3TURBO

essex boy :)
Reaction score
Hi guys,
As the title of this thread suggests i've made this thread to keep you all upto date on any progress i make on my car.
Below are some pics of my car in current form,with some pics of the brake mods i have done so far

mods to date-

alpine/ipod headunit
vibe 12inch sub enclosure (purely for my music tastes)
h.i.d xenon headlight kit
front black diamond 20 groove discs
ebc greenstuff front pads
painted front/rear calipers with audi decals

I'm going to be upgrading everything on my car starting with handling,then power and finally cosmetics.
so hopefully you lot can give me some advice and pointers along the way :) thanks for looking.
:thumbsup:

Pics down below as links broken

Last edited by a moderator:
Pah! I laugh at your spongebobs but am impressed by your stopping power.

haha cheers voorhees,won em at thorpe park!took that pic day after forgot to take them out :)

i've just ordered my new wheels :rockwoot:went for a set of oldskool rs4's in polished face finish with grey inserts 18"
polishedrs42.jpg

just had some good news too!was meant to be delivered saturday or monday but they have dispatched them right now and i should have them tomorrow! :) good news! will take some pics of them on the car when i get them on!:)

is that a standard front bumper? mine hasnt got the headlight washerjets like urs looks like it has. also nice kick *** sub. Same as mine :)

yea its the standard turbo bumper,but with the washer jets,when i bought my car i realised it had almost every extra put on it when new, happy days :)
the sub kicks *** don't it!nice low bass

Yeah total kick in the back bass :rockwoot:
i would suggest you look at getting the Wietec Ultra GT 40mm lowering kit. Similair fee to the standard ride but a much better feeling round corner and looks better. Even more so when u get them 18`s on it.

already looked at it mate, a3tom has the same kit as you and he recommended it to.still undecided what to go for as yet though,but obviously will be lowering it, just undecided on if i wanna do it via shocks/springs or coilovers :)

yeah it is abit of a mine field. Only problem i found lowering it 40mm was the drivers side drive shaft catches on the arb when turning right full lock. I need to get a Adjustable front drop links to sort that out.

yeah it is abit of a mine field. Only problem i found lowering it 40mm was the drivers side drive shaft catches on the arb when turning right full lock. I need to get a Adjustable front drop links to sort that out.

I've not had that problem but I've got KW front and rear ARBs which might help?.

some good news! my new wheels arrived this morning and i left work espeacially early just to go and fit them :)
here's some pics for you
2009-06-26135510.jpg

2009-06-26135534.jpg

2009-06-26174841.jpg

2009-06-26173636.jpg

2009-06-26173548.jpg

2009-06-26173615.jpg

2009-06-26173511.jpg

also i done the brakes before the wheels,here a couple of pics of those too:)
black diamond 20 grrove frount discs
ebc greenstuff pads
painted calipers
audi decals
2009-05-23123542.jpg

2009-06-06151859.jpg

next up to sort out the handling and the ride height :hubbahubba:

looking mint there m8. Just needs lowering now. Theres a huuuuge cap in the fron wheel arches...get it lowered :)

Nice, give it a tickle with the lowering stick now :)

i'm already on it tom :)hopefully i will be fitting the new suspension this weekend fingers crossed :)thats if i can make my mind up on kw springs+shocks or weitec ones?hmmmm lol

NICE!! I remember when my wheels looked like that (new & shiny)!!

hi guys,well as some of you may know i have decided on a full kw suspension setup,i ordered the 40mm spring/shock kit while i was at work this morning from euro performance,and it's heading straight from germany.i'm expecting delivery sometime next week so i will be fitting them on the saturday.i will also be phoning euro performance to order my kw front and rear anti roll bars on monday.so hopefully i will have it all to fit on the weekend,if not the arb's will be done the weekend after.heading out after work 2mrw to pick up some new bushes and suspension bolts and some lock tight just to get everything ready for next weekend :).

well,it's now saturday and i still haven't had a knock on my door with the arrival of my new suspension gear!phoned europerformance and they confirmed from kw in germany that it has been dispatched and i should have it anyday now.just aswell it didn't turn up this weekend as it's p***ing down here and i would've had the right hump cos i wouldnt have been able to fit it anyways lol,just irritating!been driving a monster truck off-roader for over a week now :)

Don't start it too late in the day if it does turn-up. If things start to snag, the last thing you want to be doing is lying under the car as the light starts to fade!!!!

Been there, done it - don't recommend it!!

yeah give yourself the entire day to do it....jsut incase. I've been bitten like that too :)

If it doesnt turn up in a few days take advantage of owning a monster truck and go and drive over some big stuff :)

it's pretty handy having an off-roader for a few more days as one of the main roads near me is being torn up and resurfaced,mind you having to drive 5 mile an hour to not put any dents in the 18's is a pain in the backside!

just ordered a forge 007p dv,so in a couple of days i will have that to fit and test out.aswell as still waiting for my kw suspension to turn up!was looking at replacing the panel filter,but as some have said the standard one is fine until the power requires a better one,so i'm gonna leave it until big power requires an upraged 1 and i'm thinking of getting an enclosed air induction kit maybe around the stage 2 remapping time.
so for now -

To fit on arrival

kw suspension springs/dampers
forge 007p diverter valve

Next up

milltek/custom exhaust
stage 1 remap

Last edited:
Patience young padawan!! - it's only been a week, but I know how annoying it can be waiting, esp if you've ordered for a weekend job and it doesn't turn up :sign_unfair:

Been doing searches today for cold air feeds (on standard air box) and CAIs - mind's spinning at the mo!! Looks like there's a twin intake comming from Forge soon that looks nice - but looks like it needs a LOT of space. I was "tinkering" today trying to find a way to install a "Heath Robinson" air feed but the engine bay's so busy - but this hot weather seems to be killing my car at the mo :wtf:

[edit] can't stand spelling mistakes!!!

Last edited:
yep,it is very annoying waiting,especially when they tell you it'll will be delivered no later than thursday!dogh! but all will come together in time plus now i'll have another mod to do at the same time so it's all good! :yahoo:
Do you have a link for the forge intake?
I'm definantly not going to be simply changing the panel filter as i do intend to make big bhp in the future so it's just a waste of money?

looks like a nice bit of kit!think if it ever comes out for the 1.8t it'll be a right pig to cram 2 CIA's in our tight engine bays!bad enough working on it now lol.
maybe battery re-location is a possibility?would make more room for 2 CIA's?
i'm not going to think about air filters until the time comes it's racking my brain lol :think:

To be honest, I think you'd need to be looking at BIG power to start even considering one. What I was thinking though, is with one mounted at the front - getting lots of good "high" pressure air - and the other mounted into the existing cold-air feed location - getting air at a different pressure (and probably temperature? ) - would one counteract the other?

Then again, as mentioned in that thread - you assume that Forge know what they're doing?! :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

great news!
i went out and got some paint mixed up for my engine cover this morning and when i returned a lovely man from ups greeted me with my kw suspension :jump:!well pleased it's finally here!
only thing is my spring clamps are in my aunts garage,dogh!so looks like i'll be fitting them this weekend.
also around half hour ago my forge oo7p dv was delivered,but it's hacking it down at the moment here so i'll fit that when/if it clears up.
so all in all been a great day so far,i'm painting my engine cover in the shed at the minute thought i'd pop on here while the last coat of primer is drying to share my good news :)
I will hopefully have the engine cover finished today and i'll be doing a little writeup maybe later on this evening so check it out :)

dark metallic blue,same as my car.i think it came out really well.will be uploading the pics a little bit later when i get home:yum:

Sounds interesting, look forward to seeing how that comes out!!

Hey! I fitted my forge 007p valve when i got home from work this afternoon and took it for a test run, and i'm well happy with it!
It definantly picks up the changes in gear,seems to make the turbo respond a tiny bit faster too so once a few more engine mods/maps are done i should notice a considerable difference! :arco:
Finally while i was on here i uploaded the pics of my freshly painted engine cover which are below :) I have also just wrote a step-by-step guide of how i done this, check it out here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=75701

I'm really pleased with how the cover came out and i will get some pics of it back on the engine once i get the time :)
Now at the weekend i will be fitting my kw springs/shocks :yahoo:
Starting to take shape now :) :kissmyrings:

18.jpg

19.jpg

17.jpg

Can't wait to see it on the car - as I said in the other thread - great finish!!

hi guys,just a little update and a few pics for you.gave the car a detail yesterday with some new products i picked up.still haven't fitted the engine cover back onto the car as my dog had a little mental moment and knocked it off the kitchen table!just finished repairing it so will get pics of it once it's back on.so...the pics i have took show the latest additions to my car,a kw 40mm suspension setup,in-pro s3 style chrome mirrors and some aero wipers.also have the forge oo7p valve fitted now but don't think you can see it in the pics.
cars starting to look and perform how i want it now,so i think the next thing i'll be looking at is a remap and an exhaust setup to start upping the power gains:jump:.

2009-08-08170925.jpg

2009-08-08170938.jpg

2009-08-08170622.jpg

2009-08-08170715.jpg

2009-08-08171110.jpg

2009-08-08171457.jpg

2009-08-08172105.jpg

2009-08-08171341.jpg

2009-08-08172133.jpg

2009-08-08172245.jpg

2009-08-08172510.jpg

2009-08-08172502.jpg

was on way home from work just now and decided to take some better shots of the car after it's detail at the weekend seeing as though the suns beaming!
also theres a couple of the engine cover back in it's place :drool: im well pleased with it!
2009-08-11163118.jpg

2009-08-11163156.jpg

2009-08-11163100.jpg

2009-08-11163032.jpg

2009-08-11163041.jpg

next up for the car is definantly a remap.just gotta sort out the money and it'll be done!:yahoo:

Last edited:
Thats very nice indeed, well impressed with the painted calipers and engine cover!

:)

Thats very nice indeed, well impressed with the painted calipers and engine cover!

:)

thanks matey :icon_thumright: planned on doing them the same as the car as a subtle mod,turned out better than i thought.after i get the remap sorted out i'll be changing over the hoses to blue silicone for a bit of extra colour and protection under the bonnet,also thinking of painting up some other bits too but i'll wait and see what happens after the remap :):racer: