roller parcel shelf thingy!

baynesey

well you better unsell them, sharpish!
Reaction score
The parcel shelf (not sure of the actual name of it) has tendancy to retract quickly back when I hit a speed bump .. and everytime it scares the absolute crap out of me!! :scared2:

This is surely is a common problem for other Avant owners, is there a "how to" or known fix for this without taking an alternative route

Thanks

Chris :icon_thumright:

Never happened to me either but I can see why it would leave you sitting a couple of inches higher in your seat afterwards! :ohmy:

Happens to me all the time but never when my wife drives, hmm.........still have no soloution only leave it open while you drive!!!!!

picked my s4 avant up today and my parcel shelf did it whilst showing a mate how fast it was- it scared the **** out of both of us!

Never been a problem for me, are you sure it's located in the slots properly?

Hi,

I'm now on my 3rd A4 Avant, 2 x 1.9 TDi and now a B6 S4 Avant. With
the two diesels the cover behaved perfectly, but in the S4 it regularly scares the hell out of me as it launches itself forwards. Problem doesn't happen if the boot is full, but with anything less the cover doesn't like being closed.

It is properly in the slots, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Chris

Makes you kind of wonder how it would prevent luggage hitting the occupants in an accident (which is the only reason I'd ever use it).
I'm selling mine as it's a totally pointless piece of kit as far as I'm concerned. It weighs a ton, has to be taken out if you want to put the seats down properly. If you pull it across thieves think you have something of value underneath it, and if you don't then why have it at all?

Happens to me a lot. Bit peed off as the amount of times it has happened the locating pegs have marked the carpet and plastic now.

What I have found is that the end part of the shelf is quite heavy and out of balance, it seems to tip down near the rear door. When you hit a bump it tilts that little bit extra and leavers itself out of the locators on the sides.

I intend to engineer some sort of tiny, but tidy plastic 'L' bracket attached to the rear door that will allow the parcel shelf to rest on when the door is closed.

N

nlldavies, that makes a lot of sense. As when the boot is full of 'stuff' the end of the cover is supported and so doesn't rotate down and thus allowing it to jump out. Would be interested to see what you create.
Odd though that not everyone if affected the same. Oh and totally agree about the damage it's doing to the side carpets, not to mention my nerves!

Chris