Rocking onto the parking brake

Drew Adamson

Reaction score
My A4 always seems to rock forward onto the parking brake when I switch off the engine and take my foot off the footbrake, I've had the car three months, and it does it every time. Yesterday I got to drive a brand new Passat (which I take to be a 95%) equivalent to the A4. I performed my usual parking method and it sat rock solidly with no movement onto the brake. I repeated the operation several times and got exactly the same result. Why the difference between the two cars?

My driveway has a downward slant towards the back garden, if I don't apply the handbrake it will rock forward as I've only engaged Park on the gearbox. If I apply the handbrake this doesn't happen. Also mine doesn't gave Hill Hold Assist.

I assume the Passat had Hill Hold Assist and your car doesn't?

My driveway has a downward slant towards the back garden, if I don't apply the handbrake it will rock forward as I've only engaged Park on the gearbox. If I apply the handbrake this doesn't happen. Also mine doesn't gave Hill Hold Assist.

Thanks, I don't have Hill Assist, I'll have a look at the Passat, and also try a different parking routine.

Sometimes, randomly it seems, the handbrake will apply itself when the engine is switched off anyway. But if it doesn't then like any other automatic it will rock against the park pawl...

I gave up trying to figure out the logic of when the parking brake applies itself at switch off. I've now decided there is no logic and it's entirely random!

But yes, if it doesn't apply itself then the car rocks forward/back slightly as locks against the gearbox.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u

On an incline the Passat would apply HHA then when you undo seatbelt or switch off it would seamlessly apply the handbrake (I miss that )

Its not a good idea to let the car rock forwards or backwards held only by the parling pawl either, it could put unecessary stress on it...

Its not a good idea to let the car rock forwards or backwards held only by the parling pawl either, it could put unecessary stress on it...
`parling pawl`...don't think I've got one of those!

Help it's the spelling/grammar police again, seriously no offence intended ok? But I am getting so paranoid I checked this post a dozen or so times before I sent it. Must go to Specsavers soon I guess, I am due as I get a yearly eye test for free...

I gave up trying to figure out the logic of when the parking brake applies itself at switch off. I've now decided there is no logic and it's entirely random!

But yes, if it doesn't apply itself then the car rocks forward/back slightly as locks against the gearbox.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

From experience I found it to be when you switch off the engine in either P or D (on the S-Tronic).

Certainly it is still random when in 'D' and it automatically selects 'P' anyway...