Rocker gasket

Keiran

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm changing the rocker gasket on my car in the morning as mine is leaking, so just wondering if a gasket sealant should be used or is it just old one off, clean the area and then new one back on. My car is an a3 1.8t AJQ, cheers.

Keiran

Hi all, I'm changing the rocker gasket on my car in the morning as mine is leaking, so just wondering if a gasket sealant should be used or is it just old one off, clean the area and then new one back on. My car is an a3 1.8t AJQ, cheers.

Keiran

I did mine about a month ago.

Are you doing the tensioner gasket at the same time? that's what was leaking on mine, not the rocker cover gasket.

You need to use sealant (i got the proper Audi stuff) on the right angled bits. That's all.

Liam

No just doin the rocker and the coils gasket mate as it seams to just be leaking at those points and is leaking down the coils and saturating the spark plugs. I'll pick some sealant up in the morning then. How much did you pay for the sealant pal?

Cheers for the reply,

Keiran

How much did you pay for the sealant pal?

Cheers for the reply,

Keiran

No worries.

Hmmm. You may want to consider getting a more cost effective alternative from Halfords or another motor factor. The gunk I got from TPS set me back £20. It's a black silicone sealant. I think it might be this stuff VW AUDI ENGINE 80 ML SILICONE SEALANT BLACK D174003A2 NEW GENUINE PART | eBay I'd have to check the exact part number.

Considering how much you use it's bloomin' expensive.

Liam

Yea fair one mate, they know how to make there money don't they lol. I'll grab some tomorrow.
Cheers mate.

Keiran

New gasket set and proper VAG sealent is the best solution tbh... gasket set will cost 15/20 quid for the cam cover/spark plugs gaskets and as mentioned need a little sealant on the bits where the grooves of the end cap (timing belt end) and the cam chain tensioner transition to the head... I also use a bit in the half moon part of the cam cover gasket...

You can also replace the can chain tensioner gasket and half moon seal too... they are about a fiver from a dealer...

Most if not all oil leaks come from these gaskets as they just go hard over time...

VAG sealant is the best stuff out there but is expensive as Liam has said... not normally black though... its white (sump sealant that is which is what I normally use with no issue) I believe its made by Elring (as are the head gaskets etc) so maybe a search on ebay for Elring sealant may help find it a bit cheaper)

<tuffty/>

I think the part number for the sealant (listed on ETKA) is AMV 174 004 01, or at least that's what I asked TPS for.

Just looked and TPS have given me something different :asskicking: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] D 174 003 A2 and [/FONT]now I think about it they said the part number I had asked for had changed and this was the replacement part?!?!??! Can anyone confirm this?

From what I can tell and according to google I've used sump sealant ... :scared2:

Tufty ... please tell me what I've used will be ok or do I need to go strip it? (I used the smallest amount I could get away with)

Cheers, Liam :unsure:

Think about it, if it's good enough to seal a sump then it's more than good enough for the rocker....

I think the part number for the sealant (listed on ETKA) is AMV 174 004 01, or at least that's what I asked TPS for.

Just looked and TPS have given me something different :asskicking: D 174 003 A2 and now I think about it they said the part number I had asked for had changed and this was the replacement part?!?!??! Can anyone confirm this?

From what I can tell and according to google I've used sump sealant ... :scared2:

Tufty ... please tell me what I've used will be ok or do I need to go strip it? (I used the smallest amount I could get away with)

Cheers, Liam :unsure:

Not sure mate... would have to check the part number when I am next over the workshop... all I know is the stuff we use is a creamy white colour... it maybe that they use the black stuff as a more general sealant or maybe its replaced the other stuff...

<tuffty/>

Normal number we use for sump sealant is D176404A2. The number they gave you comes up but cant see what its used for as the sump sealant number is used for pretty much every model and engine.

Thanks. Oh well - it's stopped leaking - so I guess it's doing its job along with the new gasket. :)

@Keiran - how'd you get on replacing the gasket?

Liam

so the rocker gasket goes on dry, and just a bit of sealant on the tensioner gasket and half moon bit?

Cheers for the comments lads, well I got some sealant today from halfrauds, a black silicone which can be used for sump sealant also so I'm guessing it was like the VAG stuff just with a better price tag. Got to work whipped the cover off, gave the rocker cover a good clean to get rid of all the grime and the cleaned the head where the gasket was going. Also gave the coils a clean as there was oil on them where the gasket for the plugs had been leaking. The old gasket was rock solid as tuffty had mentioned and was litteraly breaking apart as I took it off. Anyway, put the lot back together with the sealant in the places mentioned and the rest just dry and left it for a few hours to allow the sealant to cure. Retook it for a spin and all seems well. Just need to give the engine bay a good de-greasing now to get rid of the oil that has seeped down the block. How's yours holding out liam? Did you leave the rest dry aswell? Cheers for the feedback lads,

Keiran

Hi

How's yours holding out liam? Did you leave the rest dry aswell? Cheers for the feedback lads,

Keiran

Mine was leaking at the tensioner gasket. But yeah I left mine dry except the right angles where the grooves start. I didn't put any on the half moon bit as Tuffty suggested - mostly because I'm a noob and didn't think about it. But it's been fine, I've done about 700 miles since. It'll probably be alright for the next 100k :)

Although my oil does seem to be going some where else rather than down the side of the engine - I want to fit a catch can to try and determine where all the oil is going as I always find a good coating inside the intercooler pipes. I've probably lost .5L in the last 1500 miles. :( Oh the joys of VAG 1.8T. Oh boy do I enjoy driving the little beast though.

Liam