Rocker cover PCV testing

rabbituk

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I replaced a glow plug on my 2006 diesel (BKD) car last week in order to cure a glow plug warning that had been present in my VCDS logs for about a year. Whilst I had the rocker cover off, I was curious to know the state of the PCV in it. As it appears to be sealed inside the rocker cover, I simply blew/sucked from the breather pipe. It was as though I was blowing/sucking through a clear pipe. Is this normal? I thought that there was a membrane inside so should have felt a little pressure. Is there a test that can be done for these?

Last edited:
Perfectly normal .

I've been falsely informed and sold a diaphragm from Poland that you can't service ( AVF ) as I found out today , not that mine was broke ( false diagnosis as to expecting a resistance like you ) .

My diaphragm is held in by a metal ring retained by 8 plastic tabs that have no movement and would break .

20200915 132223

20200915 145051

Great pictures, thanks. Do you know how the air passes through that? Is that a hole at 8 O'Clock? Perhaps a spiral to spin the oil out of the air/oil vapor?

A waste of the day so to speak but ever the learning curve.

Crankcase oil vapour in at the 11 - 1 slot , exits top , any heavy vapour with oil accumulates and drains back at 8 .

Reactions: rabbituk