Facelift Rob2k68

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
@Rob2k68 ....Rob I know you are lurking out there mate.....How are the new wheels? I/we miss your knowledgeable and helpful inputs on this site, plus your sparkling repartee. Also, did you sell off all your S3 goodies ( just so the moderators do not move this thread :smile new: )
Soooooooo fill us in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunedin, Joe4842, TDI-line and 6 others
I think I can feel ...... yes it is ....... I know I shouldn't but .......

giphy.gif

You're way too kind sir but thanks for the kind words it's nice to be wanted (I keep telling the wife that LoL)

I am lurking mate be rest assured about that and anyone who drops me a PM for help/advice I get back to pretty quickly. Miss you guys too - this is still easily the best car forum on the web and great to see @jassyo06 finally got his new wheels what a thread that was ! - I think the script writers from East Enders could learn a thing or too from that plenty of ups and downs, cliff hangers and a grand finale a superb reveal !!

Work has been kind of busy but rest assured I'll be back in the fold before too long. New car is 80% the same LoL talking of which is now in the UK and should probably with me in a week or two.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Sandra, TDI-line and 10 others
I think I can feel ...... yes it is ....... I know I shouldn't but .......

giphy.gif

You're way too kind sir but thanks for the kind words it's nice to be wanted (I keep telling the wife that LoL)

I am lurking mate be rest assured about that and anyone who drops me a PM for help/advice I get back to pretty quickly. Miss you guys too - this is still easily the best car forum on the web and great to see @jassyo06 finally got his new wheels what a thread that was ! - I think the script writers from East Enders could learn a thing or too from that plenty of ups and downs, cliff hangers and a grand finale a superb reveal !!

Work has been kind of busy but rest assured I'll be back in the fold before too long. New car is 80% the same LoL talking of which is now in the UK and should probably with me in a week or two.

Gettin Jiggy way the Giffys are we....lol.....can't wait to see yer new brief mate with Pan-Roof and 19"s,aye that thread was like a roller coaster.....now l aint sure if l really like the colour or not...lol well l will rephrase that l love the colour not sure it suits the old codgers saloon....though???what other Goodies have you added to the Golf

and Mr @Flying Scotsman very thoughtful of you to remember this bawbags absence from this ever increasing dull forum,but hey nowt stays the same

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, MattSedg, MikeParkin and 4 others
Gettin Jiggy way the Giffys are we....lol.....can't wait to see yer new brief mate with Pan-Roof and 19"s,aye that thread was like a roller coaster.....now l aint sure if l really like the colour or not...lol well l will rephrase that l love the colour not sure it suits the old codgers saloon....though???what other Goodies have you added to the Golf

and Mr @Flying Scotsman very thoughtful of you to remember this bawbags absence from this ever increasing dull forum,but hey nowt stays the same

Did I just read right WTF LoL colour is epic mate no doubt about it perhaps a little only for the brave but you pull it off in spades need to wait for the sunshine to do it justice. Would love to see some pics taken with a proper camera not these toy ones on our phones.

Options lost isn’t huge Lapiz 5dr, silver prets, black mirror caps, reverse camera, sunroof, Dynaudio and DCC oh and heated screen. List of available options probably quarter the size of Audi. Need to settle on a ceramic coating for some winter protection probably go gtechnic this time.

I still wake up in a cold sweat wondering if I’ve done the right thing but I went to Audi first and couldn’t get the numbers where they needed to be. Having said that had a call last week from the supplying dealer to say I’m in a good position with the PCP and he probably had something lined up for me but was too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Flying Scotsman
If your going for Gtechniq @Rob2k68 get the liquid serum black as it's two separate coatings that's only supplied to actual dealers and will be awesome. This is what I currently have on minus the Black extra coating.

Reactions: Rob2k68
If your going for Gtechniq @Rob2k68 get the liquid serum black as it's two separate coatings that's only supplied to actual dealers and will be awesome. This is what I currently have on minus the Black extra coating.

That’s brill to know thanks Mike - I’ll ask my man if he has it.

Presume Exo v3 goes on top ?

Yeah the Exo is the "Black". YouTube it and you'll see some examples of how tough it is.

Yeah the Exo is the "Black". YouTube it and you'll see some examples of how tough it is.
its crystal serum black that needs wet sanding off if it goes wrong right? hence dealer application only

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68
Options lost isn’t huge Lapiz 5dr, silver prets, black mirror caps, reverse camera, sunroof, Dynaudio and DCC oh and heated screen. List of available options probably quarter the size of Audi. Need to settle on a ceramic coating for some winter protection probably go gtechnic this time.
I see you have went for a mk7.5 Golf R then. Lapiz is a stunning shade of blue, and defo the best colour in the R range. Was it purely down the numbers as to why you went for the R?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
I see you have went for a mk7.5 Golf R then. Lapiz is a stunning shade of blue, and defo the best colour in the R range. Was it purely down the numbers as to why you went for the R?
Id be interested also, are you using pcp? As in my experience a golf r is a lot more expensive on pcp than an S3 is!

That’s brill to know thanks Mike - I’ll ask my man if he has it.

Presume Exo v3 goes on top ?

I went for CS Black as well on mine Rob, not cheap but the car is awesome to clean 6 months on, also went with C5 on the wheels which makes them super easy to clean - pretty much just pressure wash the brake dust off.

A very nice colour Rob and enjoy it in a few weeks time. I took a very long look at the VW R myself, a great bang for the bucks and a nice handling car. IMO it is marginally better than an S3 in the handling department and is a tuner's delight.

8068055.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback on CS black guys - think I'll be going with that as I seem to be moving over to Gtechniq from Gyeon and already have the G1 glass cleaner, M1 metal polish & T1 tyre gel. Quite like some Nanolex products too Final Finish quick detailer and Trim Rejuvenator for exterior plastics on the wife's Tucson is excellent.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hey @Rob2k68 good to see you you back for a visit. Your sure been well missed. Not long till your collection now, we look forward to the pics. I know you be back in an Audi soon you had to go with what works fir you. Golf r is a nice car. My son hot his last year and I doubt he be back in an Audi again.all his cars have been vw except the last two when he had a3 then s3. He saw the r and that was him. :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
A very nice colour Rob and enjoy it in a few weeks time. I took a very long look at the VW R myself, a great bang for the bucks and a nice handling car. IMO it is marginally better than an S3 in the handling department and is a tuner's delight.

Thanks buddy - only driven the estate which was for 10 minutes during rush hour traffic so went out on a limb for this one. Hopefully don't miss the Audi build quality and interior too much as it's fairly easy to see where they engineer cost out for the VW badge. This is probably the best pic I've found closest to my spec with pano roof and black mirror caps. Not got for the full gangster glass this time just the 65% tint which is standard the 90% tint is an option :-

C007A368 AF90 4903 A677 0669CBB67C45

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Scotsman, SPIKE_, T-800 and 3 others
Hey @Rob2k68 good to see you you back for a visit. Your sure been well missed. Not long till your collection now, we look forward to the pics. I know you be back in an Audi soon you had to go with what works fir you. Golf r is a nice car. My son hot his last year and I doubt he be back in an Audi again.all his cars have been vw except the last two when he had a3 then s3. He saw the r and that was him. :)

Thanks for the kind words Sandra little lad is a fan of the four rings and enjoys the shows so luckily with the VAG combined shows that can continue - he makes me laugh and says your car is faster than that one Dad it’s only got two exhaust pipes LoL - he’s going to be a Petrol head too!

I think if I hadn’t have ordered when I did I would have ended up in a pre reg fairly base spec RS3 as a few of those cropping up now. Let’s see what Audi come up next with the next gen model 19/20 model year.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, T-800, Tom.H and 4 others
So a few people are asking via PM what I’m going to do with the next car..... for now the plan is to go fairly OEM + again with subtle mods here and there and the odd retrofit. Keen to try different things so may go JB4 before too long. Already have a secret stash of parts ready to go on including :-

Clubsport S disc and pads with PP caliper trims.
APR cast inlet elbow.
VWR inlet hose.
Pedal box + (never has one before)
Blue footwell lights and more .........

A7854F3D BB91 40CA BC35 2E9DE15A4E6E

52729AC6 8C48 4E4A 9AEF 482A3EBC57CB

Interested to try ACC which I don’t have on current car as I didn’t like the radar breaking through the horizontal grille vanes as it’s now behind the VW badge.

Also DCC Vs Mag ride - VW is a less sophisticated solution (and cheaper option) using valved shocks rather than magnetic charges to change viscosity.

Reactions: SPIKE_, T-800 and Jassyo06

Id be interested also, are you using pcp? As in my experience a golf r is a lot more expensive on pcp than an S3 is!

Was very close to going Turmeric Yellow but went Lapiz at the last minute. Saw on Oryx R parked up under street lighting in town last week and really liked that too so hop I've made the right choice when it rocks up.

Yeah pretty much clinched by wanting to have similar monthly payments. To buy a similar but slightly improved spec to my current car which has 8k of options my build came in a 45k so a good bit more than the VW. Factor in that VW gave me £1,000 more p/x than Audi offered, a £1,500 deposit contribution (think Audi were offering £700) and I'd negotiated a 12% discount via Carwow and could only achieve 9-10% on the Audi and it was making a clear case to the VW as I don't have the fair chunk of deposit like I had last time. GFV I found to be similar percentages of purchase price (35-38%).

My insurance premium for a modded car jumped from £600 to £800 as well last month so this will drop to £300 ;o)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and T-800
So a few people are asking via PM what I’m going to do with the next car..... for now the plan is to go fairly OEM + again with subtle mods here and there and the odd retrofit. Keen to try different things so may go JB4 before too long. Already have a secret stash of parts ready to go on including :-

Clubsport S disc and pads with PP caliper trims.
APR cast inlet elbow.
VWR inlet hose.
Pedal box + (never has one before)
Blue footwell lights and more .........

View attachment 139935
View attachment 139936

Interested to try ACC which I don’t have on current car as I didn’t like the radar breaking through the horizontal grille vanes as it’s now behind the VW badge.

Also DCC Vs Mag ride - VW is a less sophisticated solution (and cheaper option) using valved shocks rather than magnetic charges to change viscosity.

*** ye don't waste any time Yiv no even got the car yet and Yiv got it all Vin diesel..... ed up..... Lol

Ah Gtechniq good stuff but l don't think l will be going down the ceramic coating route again

Wax and da polishing for myself as ceramic coatings have there minus points as well, not going to pay someone £600 plus bangers for the privilege of glossing up me voodoo lol

Reactions: T-800, Sandra, Djs3saloon and 1 other person
*** ye don't waste any time Yiv no even got the car yet and Yiv got it all Vin diesel..... ed up..... Lol

Ah Gtechniq good stuff but l don't think l will be going down the ceramic coating route again

Wax and da polishing for myself as ceramic coatings have there minus points as well, not going to pay someone £600 plus bangers for the privilege of glossing up me voodoo lol

LoL I couldn’t resist tinkering you know me but at least brakes are genuine VW parts.

I get what you’re saying with the waxes there’s still a great deal of satisfaction to be had after applying a coat and standing back to admire your hard work. Gave the wife’s Tucson a few licks of Auto Finesse desire and that beads well whilst being fairly resistant to fly splat.

If I fix any stone chips with wet sanding and the DA I always think that’s an area of the coating gone - at least I can re-apply the wax myself. I wouldn’t let anyone else near your paint matey :salute:

Reactions: Jassyo06
@Rob2k68 well that didn't take long with the forthcoming mods, lol. You will need to have a build thread going so we can all keep up to date. I know it's a vw but that's still family so make it so. I be watching and waiting for it along with all the pics. Wait till your son sees the new car, he be more excited than you Rob. :) x

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, SPIKE_, T-800 and 3 others
@Rob2k68 well that didn't take long with the forthcoming mods, lol. You will need to have a build thread going so we can all keep up to date. I know it's a vw but that's still family so make it so. I be watching and waiting for it along with all the pics. Wait till your son sees the new car, he be more excited than you Rob. :) x

I’ll second that Sandra....

Robs currently building an extension for parts storage

Reactions: Sandra and Rob2k68

Second that Sandra.....@Rob2K68 must get a thread up on ASN!

@Rob2k68 and @jassyo06 ......On pros and cons of ceramic coatings. I am still old school and enjoy buffing up my car with clay bay when required, polish and quality wax. Ceramic coatings have their advantages but to bring up a case in point, my car got broken into via a smashed passenger widow and also received damage to that door. the paint had to be blended in and with a ceramic coating there could have been an issue with removal/non removal of that coating and the same could apply to stone chips etc.
Not doubting ceramic benefits but as Rob stated, a car does look ****** good after a nice wax job. Also, from what I have read, ceramic coatings take a fair amount of maintenance as well, such as applying refresh coatings etc.

Reactions: Jassyo06, T-800 and Rob2k68
I agree with the above.....

If you worry about every little Mark and chip you pick up then it’s time to sell up and buy a banger, because you can get paranoid about these things.......

I buy my cars to drive and enjoy, not worry about where the next stonechip is coming from.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
I agree with the above.....

If you worry about every little Mark and chip you pick up then it’s time to sell up and buy a banger, because you can get paranoid about these things.......

I buy my cars to drive and enjoy, not worry about where the next stonechip is coming from.

Ya Barsteward yiv done....it.....a ****** RS3...........YER BANNED FROM THE A3/S3............FORUM................lol

Reactions: Daveotto, Rob2k68 and T-800
@Rob2k68 and @jassyo06 ......On pros and cons of ceramic coatings. I am still old school and enjoy buffing up my car with clay bay when required, polish and quality wax. Ceramic coatings have their advantages but to bring up a case in point, my car got broken into via a smashed passenger widow and also received damage to that door. the paint had to be blended in and with a ceramic coating there could have been an issue with removal/non removal of that coating and the same could apply to stone chips etc.
Not doubting ceramic benefits but as Rob stated, a car does look ****** good after a nice wax job. Also, from what I have read, ceramic coatings take a fair amount of maintenance as well, such as applying refresh coatings etc.

Cars with Ceramic coatings can/will suffer from severe burnt in water marks,the A3 hatchbacks roofs are pretty flat, water stays there,as it does on the bonnet just below the wiper blades....every time l came back from holiday which is often...lol,they where there as the car was sat in a driveway for the duration.....there a ****** to remove,but for less work and less hassle ceramic coatings rule,but yeah give them a year tops....they begin to lose there effectiveness and need redone

Reactions: Rob2k68 and T-800
Ya Barsteward yiv done....it.....a ****** RS3...........YER BANNED FROM THE A3/S3............FORUM................lol

I just couldn't help myself :scared2:

****** Cars........

Was very close to going Turmeric Yellow but went Lapiz at the last minute. Saw on Oryx R parked up under street lighting in town last week and really liked that too so hop I've made the right choice when it rocks up.

Yeah pretty much clinched by wanting to have similar monthly payments. To buy a similar but slightly improved spec to my current car which has 8k of options my build came in a 45k so a good bit more than the VW. Factor in that VW gave me £1,000 more p/x than Audi offered, a £1,500 deposit contribution (think Audi were offering £700) and I'd negotiated a 12% discount via Carwow and could only achieve 9-10% on the Audi and it was making a clear case to the VW as I don't have the fair chunk of deposit like I had last time. GFV I found to be similar percentages of purchase price (35-38%).

My insurance premium for a modded car jumped from £600 to £800 as well last month so this will drop to £300 ;o)

No Brainer it is mate,yer S3 was the highest specced Sport back on here...hard act to follow, anyway if the VW's 7 Speed gearbox is the same as the one in my yukky bloo car yer in for a treat.....fabulous box mate,makes the 6 speed feel like Fred & Barneys....feet .....lol l kid you not

Reactions: MattSedg and Rob2k68
No Brainer it is mate,yer S3 was the highest specced Sport back on here...hard act to follow, anyway if the VW's 7 Speed gearbox is the same as the one in my yukky bloo car yer in for a treat.....fabulous box mate,makes the 6 speed feel like Fred & Barneys....feet .....lol l kid you not

I'll second that about the DQ381 Gearbox..........****** superb !

@Rob2k68 and @jassyo06 ......my car got broken into via a smashed passenger widow and also received damage to that door. the paint had to be blended in and with a ceramic coating there could have been an issue with removal/non removal of that coating and the same could apply to stone chips etc.

Oh no mate that’s really terrible news - glad you got it sorted and hope the scumbags that done it get what’s coming to them.

Ya eagle eyes you spotted the avatar change haha not as subtle as the last one.

I'll second that about the DQ381 Gearbox..........****** superb !

That’s one of the changes I’m looking forward to, mines got 37k on now and there are a few clunks if you listen out for them with the radio off. Also without the TCU tune on it I find it slow to react at times.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and T-800
Oh no mate that’s really terrible news - glad you got it sorted and hope the scumbags that done it get what’s coming to them.

That’s one of the changes I’m looking forward to, mines got 37k on now and there are a few clunks if you listen out for them with the radio off. Also without the TCU tune on it I find it slow to react at times.

Sometimes me old eyes do function...mate although me Englaterra at times maybe afflicted with some Voodoo Budweiser from time to time.....lol

Reactions: T-800 and Rob2k68

Just the Night in 7th at 70.....l kinda put the welly down...............wooossh straight into 5th.....and away l went "Make it so...number one"....says Jassy Picard.....lol

Reactions: T-800 and Rob2k68