Road trip - Europe

B

Buffwesty

Hello guys,

I am thinking about embarking on a European Road trip with my partner: France, Germany, Switzerland and other possible targets. Looking to drive for around 5-7 days, camping and sightseeing as and when we wanted.

My car is a 2007 A4 Cabriolet, 3.0tdi.
80k on the clock.
Any suggestions maintenance wise to prevent a breakdown in a foreign country?
Car is reguarly serviced by myself, new tyres etc,.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a road trip like this?
Things easily forgotten etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

If it was few months since your last mot, I would’ve got it checked to be sure no surprises pop up.

Regular stuff to take with, as a requirement in European countries would be necessary to check and stock on (high vis vest per person kept in the cab, breathalysers if still required, full med kit ect)

Also, don’t forget about headlamp adjustment.
If you have xenons with self levelling, you need the aim to be dropped. If halogen, deflectors to applied.

Fuel can could be handy.
When I was driving through Europe, I had 20 litre can but it was taking too much space so my suggestion would be smaller one, like 5 litre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy it !

We do one most years!

Austria and Switzerland are fantastic!

On Saturday we set off to Spain for a week !

Reactions: RS3 S.
Thanks Rich, have a great time yourself!
YeAh will be nice hopefully find somewhere for some nice pictures

We found this place in Austria

http://www.oilers69.com/

Well worth a visit, it’s just outside Innsbruck and the roads are stunning !

The closest town is really nice and hosts a car rally in late July , early August each year

If your car doesn’t have a spare then buy a tyre and take it with you. If you get a flat then it might be a hard size to get hold of.

Check you insurance cover for Europe, breakdown cover is a must. We have done most of Europe the past 3 years & had no problem, just check countries you are visiting for any local requirement's etc. Petrol stations have never been a problem even in Venice !!!.

Vignette for Swiss and Austrian motorways, buy here before you go same price . Often delays at border to get one if needed.

Vignette for Swiss and Austrian motorways, buy here before you go same price . Often delays at border to get one if needed.
..............good point forgot about those!!!. Do what me & my mate do, attach them to the windscreen with clear tape & leave the ''orginal'' paper on & then when you come back get your cash back by selling them on eBay !!!.

..............good point forgot about those!!!. Do what me & my mate do, attach them to the windscreen with clear tape & leave the ''orginal'' paper on & then when you come back get your cash back by selling them on eBay !!!.

I’d be careful with that . I can only speak about Austria if you get stopped with it not properly affixed it’s 240 Euro on the spot fine . Not to be a spoil sport or anything but they are wise to that especially from non local registrations.

It’s the same in Switzerland. It’s about £30, I wouldn’t risk the embarrassment unless it was a lot more.

Just drove through Switzerland the other week, Lugano to Basel and never purchased the mway pass. Drove straight through the border check points without being stopped. Was just the one day so was worth the risk.

Sat at Calais now awaiting the ferry!

The delays in passport control that are all over the news amounted to nothing!

Attachments

• 08BAEFB1-AC45-4301-A590-72D1CC0C4C9D.jpeg
    08BAEFB1-AC45-4301-A590-72D1CC0C4C9D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Reactions: BarryG79
smashed out 500 miles today !

Roads all good !

Got passed by a Brit registered lotus at one point that went passed at well over three figures!

Now sat waiting for my steak whilst sinking a local beer or two !!

Reactions: MattSedg, Tj 0785 and BarryG79
Well sat by the pool just south of Barcelona with a cold beer in my hand

Car never missed a beat , 1126 miles door to door on two tanks of petrol !

First time I’ve used one if the French toll tags and can say they make life so much simpler !

Well sat by the pool just south of Barcelona with a cold beer in my hand

Car never missed a beat , 1126 miles door to door on two tanks of petrol !

First time I’ve used one if the French toll tags and can say they make life so much simpler !

They make life so much easier. Assuming you have a Sanef then you can use the left 2 lanes where you don’t have to stop.

Reactions: RS3 S. and BarryG79
They make life so much easier. Assuming you have a Sanef then you can use the left 2 lanes where you don’t have to stop.

That’s what we used recently and couldn’t agree more, well worth having.

Yep, made my life so much easier!
Always worry about damaging the car at the tolls!

My dad has already asked to borrow it next month when they go to the south of France

I’d be careful with that . I can only speak about Austria if you get stopped with it not properly affixed it’s 240 Euro on the spot fine . Not to be a spoil sport or anything but they are wise to that especially from non local registrations.

...........done it the last 3 years mate with no problems. Unless they stuck there head in the car you would struggle to see & even then with very careful placing of the tape it would be hard to spot.