Road Springs

christoffb

Reaction score
hi, I am looking to lower the overall ride height of my 1999 TQS b5, the problem is that all the lowering springs I have found regardless of manufacturer start at 30mm reduction , I was aiming at 20mm front and 15mm at rear to give an overall affect on driving and stability . I want to lower the car but not to destroy its appearance or push the wheels so far up the wheel-arch it bottoms out, so how can this be achieved ? lowering springs I would prefer over adjustable suspension struts, other forums say that using lowering springs are only for people who cannot afford the adjustable struts but again no matter what make they are they all start at 30-45mm and that is to much. I have unrestricted use of a dealership workshop and tools so constant attempts to get this right is not a problem with regards to time and efforts, my current set-up is factory standard [ 1bv ] code and in good working condition so short of cutting the springs down incrementally to achieve the exact level what am I to do. any ideas ? chris@Sussex.

Never cut road springs as it ends in disaster is a 30 mm drop that much more than 20 I ran road springs with a 30 drop on my car and your not going to be tucking the rim under the arch. You will still be able to see the tyre with a gap

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, 30mm all sounds good but a bit much, spax market a set that are a 25mm drop at rear and 35mm front as a standard so will try those.

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
30mm isn't a lot on these cars mate, I wouldn't discount them.

I did a drop on Eibachs and it really wasn't enough.

July-09-01.jpg

the "30mm" quoted is based on lowering from the standard non-sport springs. It seems a bit nonsensical, but thats standard methodology for companies selling lowering springs.

The TQS is running sport springs and thus is already lowered, probably around 15-20mm from the factory. Thus a 30mm kit lowers the car around 15mm.

Eibachs give a mild drop and sounds like exactly what you want. Be aware however, you MUST buy the springs that say "not for aircon" or "without aircon". If you buy the springs "for aircon" or "with aircon", eibach stupidly provide V6 spec front springs, which makes the car sit stupidly with reverse rake.

Reactions: jbh and Gazwould
As above quoted drop is from tower block Standard suspension , but you have the lower Sport...

as Argon says the 30mm thats quoted is on non sport suspension. Ive got eibachs on my car at present and now that they have settled it doesnt look to bad ( I will get a side on pic tomorrow ) I think my rear sits slightly low but this is down to me having saloon springs on an Avant. Ive picked up a set of H&R Avant springs so these are getting changed over.

as for coilovers.. unless your going to put a really expensive set on it don't bother.. I had a set on my old FWD and for normal road use they were shocking.. the car was far to stiff. I was never so glad to take them off and fit a set of eibachs

If you want the front to sit down a little bit more, slacken and retighten the bolts on all the rubber bushes with the cars weight sat on them. Should get you an extra 5-10mm if you've just put the springs in without doing that.

hi, I am looking to lower the overall ride height of my 1999 TQS b5, the problem is that all the lowering springs I have found regardless of manufacturer start at 30mm reduction , I was aiming at 20mm front and 15mm at rear to give an overall affect on driving and stability . I want to lower the car but not to destroy its appearance or push the wheels so far up the wheel-arch it bottoms out, so how can this be achieved ? lowering springs I would prefer over adjustable suspension struts, other forums say that using lowering springs are only for people who cannot afford the adjustable struts but again no matter what make they are they all start at 30-45mm and that is to much. I have unrestricted use of a dealership workshop and tools so constant attempts to get this right is not a problem with regards to time and efforts, my current set-up is factory standard [ 1bv ] code and in good working condition so short of cutting the springs down incrementally to achieve the exact level what am I to do. any ideas ? chris@Sussex.
as Argon says the 30mm thats quoted is on non sport suspension. Ive got eibachs on my car at present and now that they have settled it doesnt look to bad ( I will get a side on pic tomorrow ) I think my rear sits slightly low but this is down to me having saloon springs on an Avant. Ive picked up a set of H&R Avant springs so these are getting changed over. hi guys, just read all the replys to the lowering springs post and eibachs springs sounds the way forwards for this dilemma , ill go with 30mm as advised and use the tips given, this is only my second venture on this web-site and thus far its a great response , many thanks to [ alex,Aragorn,gazwould,oranoco, and jbh ]. will post pics when possible.
as for coilovers.. unless your going to put a really expensive set on it don't bother.. I had a set on my old FWD and for normal road use they were shocking.. the car was far to stiff. I was never so glad to take them off and fit a set of eibachs
Never cut road springs as it ends in disaster is a 30 mm drop that much more than 20 I ran road springs with a 30 drop on my car and your not going to be tucking the rim under the arch. You will still be able to see the tyre with a gap

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
30mm isn't a lot on these cars mate, I wouldn't discount them.

I did a drop on Eibachs and it really wasn't enough.

July-09-01.jpg
as Argon says the 30mm thats quoted is on non sport suspension. Ive got eibachs on my car at present and now that they have settled it doesnt look to bad ( I will get a side on pic tomorrow ) I think my rear sits slightly low but this is down to me having saloon springs on an Avant. Ive picked up a set of H&R Avant springs so these are getting changed over.

hi guys, apon reflection and with tips and comments I will be trying the eibach pro-kit [ e15435-40 ] 30mm front an rear, non a/c and will post pics when completed , good web site this one and I will help others if I can on their posts. many thanks to jbh/alex/oranoco/gazwould/ and Aragorn. :nogarors4: