RNSE mk2 - SDS query

Ryanfsr

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I purchased an 2012 Audi A3 Quattro Sportback at the weekend just gone, and I was lucky enough to be able to find one with quite a few extras one it, one of which was the mk2 RNSE Nav.

The question I've got though is regarding the SDS. I've got radio removal keys, and have identified that the model I own is a 'G' version, of which from searching on here I see is not SDS capable.

However, when pressing the 'talk' button on the steering wheel, I am greeted by the car asking me to speak a command. E.g. dial a number, redial etc

Does this mean I have SDS, or is there almost 2 versions of SDS? Basic / Full?

Thanks!

Talk button is for your Bluetooth telephone.

I think the 193 can be modified using custom software to allow for full SDS but not totally sure.

Thanks for that Darren!

So as I understand then; if you have bluetooth, you essentially have a dubbed down version of SDS, but if you have full SDS you have full functionality for NAV, Radio, CD etc?

There is a thread in this section somewhere.

Some have been successful in getting it going.

Some have not, and I have also seen reports of bricked RNS-E too.

It involved moving / modifying the route of some microphone wiring and then some hacked software, loaded on , by taking the unit back to an older version before updating to the be new hacked SDS version.

I have a 193G and didn't bother. The success rate didn't seem high enough for the gain.

Here is one of the threads

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rns-e-mk2-latest-software.228443/page-3#post-2292880

Another reason I haven't tried it was I have 7digit post code working and for me, that is more useful than bricking my unit.

Cheers Paul. I have to say SDS doesn't really bother me too much either. It was just that I saw it within the menus and was wondering why considering I have a 'G' version nav unit. Think it's clear though that it's just SDS for phone use.

Off topic slightly though, was your 7 digit postcode achieved through using one of the modified discs you find on Ebay?

f you have sds settings within the rns menus, then its got full sds, if you use the modified 7 digit disc it will maybe remove the sds software, so if I was you, be wary of this.

As above sds can be added with wiring additions, if that's of use, give me a shout as I can complete this for you.

There is no 193 unit sds software in the wild, its kept to the chest of only a few people tbh & they wont release it unlike the 192 units.

f you have sds settings within the rns menus, then its got full sds, if you use the modified 7 digit disc it will maybe remove the sds software, so if I was you, be wary of this.

As above sds can be added with wiring additions, if that's of use, give me a shout as I can complete this for you.

There is no 193 unit sds software in the wild, its kept to the chest of only a few people tbh & they wont release it unlike the 192 units.

Thanks Nigel!

The only options I have within the 'Setup' menu are; Menu Language, Distance Unit, Time Setting, Default Settings, and Delete User Data.

By that I guess I don't have SDS, only the Bluetooth voice recognition?

That said, I take it I should be safe in using a 7 digit disc? Another question aswell, if I decide to go back to using the Audi original disc, is it case of re-inserting the original and everything will be back to how it was?

Thanks