RNSE AMI Problems!

Usually the harness is wrong, the L/R/GND are incorrect at the AMI end. There are differences between the RNS-E and the Concert/Symphony III B8 chassis AMI's, I think maybe you have got the right cable, but incorrectly wired.

According to Elsawin
Pin 21 RNS-E = Yellow = ground = 10 AMI
Pin 22 RNS-E = Green = right = 9 AMI
Pin 6 RNS-E = Grey = lef t= 4 AMI

Check them on the AMI to the RNS-E 26 pin connector

Neither, the Audio for the AMI connects from the 12 pin AMI connector straight through to the 26 pin connector (grey plug)

Sorry not 26 pin, the grey connector is 32 pin as shown in your picture. So referring back to original reply, check the 3 wires from the 32 pin grey connector to the 12 pin AMI plug. I included the wiring pins.

Ignore the quadlock completely as it doesn't carry any audio for the AMI.

Reactions: a6_chris
So you have the 3 wires of the 32 pin connector in the right places, what about at the other end, the 12 pin connector for the AMI, where do the brown, black and grey/white wires go to.

Just looking at this as I've got an AMI kit here to install this weekend.

My AMI part number is 8P0 035 785 - so different to yours. Hope it will work!

My lead has the same connectors you describe, while the cables aren't the colours mentioned above - i have the same black/brown/white - they do connect in the correct configuration :)

Last edited:
I didn't take that one apart as I could see in to it to check which cable went to which pin.

I have

Brown on pin 6
Black on pin 21
Grey/white on pin 22

Black connector going into AMI -

Brown - Pin 4
Black - Pin 10
Grey - Pin 9

So you have
Brown RNS-E pin 6 to AMI Pin 4
Black RNS-E pin 21 to AMI Pin 10
Grey RNS-E pin 22 to AMI Pin 9

Compared to

According to Elsawin
Pin 21 RNS-E = Yellow = ground = 10 AMI
Pin 22 RNS-E = Green = right = 9 AMI
Pin 6 RNS-E = Grey = lef t= 4 AMI

So looks like all the pins are connected in the right configuration, you just have different colour wires like me (Black for ground, instead of Yellow; Grey for Right, instead of Green; and Brown for Left, instead of Grey

Could be a loose wire in the harness, coding etc still.

I paid £260 (iirc) for a kit on eBay. Same guy i got the kit for my old S5 from. Just fitted (took ~ half an hour or so) and working fine with no fault codes (once I'd figured out the correct coding for my setup)

If the second one arrives, plugs in and works then at least you have proof it's the AMI unit.

Hope you get them both sorted!

Just fix the loom, grab some 009 wires from audi & replace the audio wires, 3 of them to the 32 pin connector.

Question, not saying this will help as looks like wiring to me, but as this is free to test, did you try enabling & disabling the auxin coding in rns & ami as yet, to see if it made any difference?