RNSE AMI (Audi Music Interface) Retrofit Guide ..

a6_chris

Reaction score
.. photobucket died :(

Last edited:
Reactions: reepers and ryanstewart9
The one I got was 8P2 857 035 A, I do know that 8P2 857 035 G will also fit.

Don't bother looking in Germany, a left hand drive glovebox wont fit (this begins 8P1 I believe).

I stalked eBay for must of been 3 weeks until the right one came up in Black. I checked morning and night on the newly listed under "Audi A3 glovebox" and finally one appeared.

Of course if you have a CD changer already fitted or the crappy iPod interface, you're sorted glovebox wise.

Reactions: ryanstewart9
If you dont mind me asking how much was the glovebox?

This is something ive always wanted to do:)

Thanks Chris, may have to start stocking up parts lol.

Unfortunately I have the standard glovebox like your original one (with the airbag switch on the far right).

Hi from the other side of the pond..

I have a 193 RNS-E and OEM BT successfully retrofitted on a 2004 A6 C5 allroad. I am looking to retrofit CAN AMI as well using the 8P0 057 785 kit, but first want to confirm that it will work on this car. afaik my car has no CAN gateway. I sort of confirmed this by trying to open module 19 in VCDS - no response from controller.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

many thanks

I think it just needs a can feed from the RNSE, which the loom I used provides. Same as a B7 A4 and code the RNSE to show that AMI is connected, no other changes needed afaik.

if true that would be incredible mate! need to roll the dice I guess. my concern is around the can gateway coding instructions in this guide.

Go into Can Gateway (19)
- Coding (07)
- Have a look through the options and look for 2E Media Player 3

since there's no can gateway in my car I obviously can't do them..

You don't need a can gateway to get AMI working, I've got a MK2 RNS-E fitted to my B5 A4 and have AMI working, you just need to connect the infotainment can-bus wires from the RNS-E to the AMI.

You don't need a can gateway to get AMI working, I've got a MK2 RNS-E fitted to my B5 A4 and have AMI working, you just need to connect the infotainment can-bus wires from the RNS-E to the AMI.

alright! first confirmation I've seen online anywhere that AMI-CAN works on A4B5. Nothing yet for A6C5, but that's a great sign. will post back with my results.

THANKS!

Another great write up Chris, deffo make things easier with ur instructions and pics :)
I'd like but this tapatalk doesn't let me :)

Reactions: a6_chris
I even get the AMI song names showing on my DIS, link to my B5 install. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/163779-what-have-you-done-today-6.html

Do the track names show up on the RNS-E as well? it does on MMI systems.

Also have you tried an AMI BT dongle like the Viseeo WMA1000? It definitely works with MMI systems. Their website shows the song/album info displaying on RNS-E display just like the SD cards.. Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth Music Receiver, Support Airplay, Audi-A2DP, Mercedes-A2DP and VW-A2DP - PRODUCT - ViseeO Worldwide Official Site?

Do the track names show up on the RNS-E as well? it does on MMI systems.

Also have you tried an AMI BT dongle like the Viseeo WMA1000? It definitely works with MMI systems. Their website shows the song/album info displaying on RNS-E display just like the SD cards.. Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth Music Receiver, Support Airplay, Audi-A2DP, Mercedes-A2DP and VW-A2DP - PRODUCT - ViseeO Worldwide Official Site?

Yes all track names show on rnse.

Advancedincar on the forum sells these, do a search.

This is another mod I want to do. I have the Aux plug near the handbrake. Will the Aux still work?
I have an A3 8P MY09 TDI S Line

You lose aux when you install AMI. AMI supports multiple connect methods though - iPod, USB..

Does the RNSE play CD's?
All I can find is information about AMI and SD cards.

1. If I install just the RNSE mk2 will I loose the ability to play CD's and loose the AUX near the hand break?
2. The AMI is this just a set of leads that allows you to plug I-Phones/I-pods in
3. Can you fit a 6 CD changer instead of the AMI?

I'm looking at getting all the bits together over the coming months, then installing it or getting some to do it.

Does the RNSE play CD's?
All I can find is information about AMI and SD cards.

1. If I install just the RNSE mk2 will I loose the ability to play CD's and loose the AUX near the hand break?
2. The AMI is this just a set of leads that allows you to plug I-Phones/I-pods in
3. Can you fit a 6 CD changer instead of the AMI?

I'm looking at getting all the bits together over the coming months, then installing it or getting some to do it.

1. You can still play CD's but then you won't be able to use your nav. Not sure on the AUX but you can get a AMI->3.5 if needed
2. All in my first post
3. Yes but not sure if the changers play MP3 cd's.

Thanks Chris

So all I needs is

1. RNSE mk2
2. Appropriate conversion leads
3. New glove box
4. AMI leads or CD Changer ( might go for the CD changer as I do like my CD's)

And not forgetting a lottery win😃

Yes.

However you don't need a MK2 for cd changer, a mk1 will handle it fine but MK2s are much nicer ;)

I saw an option in VCDS when coding my AMI + MK2 RNS-E for for AUX port monitoring... i am wondering if you could piggy back the L+R+GRND connections for the AMI with the AUX port into the rear of the RNS-E , and then with this option enabled the AMI may auto switch to AUX IN when something is connected to the AUX port?

The other option is the bluetooth adapter for the AMI, allowing you to connect devices to the AMI via Bluetooth.

Thanks for this guide I managed to install a ami that I paid £140 on ebay.Bought the plug and play lead from kuftech for £40.My can gateway did not have the option of the media player in 2e . Thankfully the ami still works and is so much better than the CD .

Great write-up, Chris!

I have an additional complication and had some trouble with your description, namely the 'reset' wouldn't work via VCDS (when I did set the test value to 1 to effect the reset under 'Adaption Menue/Reset', it gave me an error and told me that it couldnt communicate with the interface). I ended up doing that manuall (pressing Radio/Setup at the same time for a couple seconds).

The additional complexity that I have upgraded my Symphony to an RNS-E MK II (193) and also yanked out the old ipod integration via AUX out and replaced it with the AMI unit (035). I coded the Can-Bus, the Media Player (also finally deactivated the seat belt chime) but the AMI is still displayed as 'not connected', when I remove the dongle and plug it back into the AMI, the display changes to 'not supported'.

I am not really confident to play around the other codes for my TT RS, the Audi workshop here (Singapore!) is a disaster. Somehow this tells me that the AMI is wired up correctly (using the Kufatec adapter, however also spliced in a Kufatec video in motion module, as well as a Kufatec iphone video connection kit - this is a bit fiddly but relatively straight forward - now I can watch an epsiode of Breaking Bad from my iPhone in the daily traffic jam without disruption).

I suspect it has to do with the coding - can anyone give me some tips what to I may have missed? Thanks a million to the gods of Audi electronics! Andreas

Chris,

Im just about to do this retrofit, any luck getting photo bucket back up? Or a brief update?

I have a mk1 rnse, with cd changer and Im upgrading to mk2 rnse first.

Once Ive done the rnse upgrade, i will remove the cd changer and plug in the ami, i have the kufatec loom to help.

Once done, I will code in to suit.

Is that it in a nutshell?

Thanks!

Hi, any chance of the photobucket content being re upped?

So I now have the AMI retrofit done in my A4 B6 along with the Tune2Air WMA3000A. When I turn off the car the Tune2Air WMA3000A remains powered up because I tapped the non-switched +12V going to the RNS-E. The question I have for all the other retrofitters is whether you used a switched +12V or not?