RNS-e with BOSE - but want to add a separate amp & sub

brixo

Reaction score
Website
www.neilbriscoe.co.uk
Hi all.

I have a 2008 A4 Avant S Line SE with RNS-e and BOSE.

The sound is ok, but the sub is a little lost in the vast boot of the Avant. Is there a way of taking a feed from the head unit and pointing it towards an external amp (Alpine V12) and sub (AudioBahn)...?

I want to take the signal before it gets into the amp, therefore (presuming) it will be the cleanest - then stick some RCA cables on. I have seen amps that will take in the speaker cable direct - I expect those to be crappy quality and probably get hot.

Is this doable or am I make a rod for my own back and will end up in a big heap or wires/fire/anger?!

Thanks all.

Yes you can pick up the rear pre-outs from the connector on the Bose amp along with the remote on trigger to turn the Alpine on/off with the HU. You just need to strip the ends off an RCA lead and piggyback onto the left/right signals and remote on.
You may need to include a ground loop isolator before the Alpine amp to avoid getting a pop when the amp turns on.
bose_pinout32pinv2.jpg

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I was expecting hell, a lot of wire cutting, a lot of swearing, several fuses blown and a potential fire hazard!

I'll get looking at where to mount the amp and how to get power to it!

Cheers!

Many thanks - done (with thanks to a friend who isn't as kack handed as me)!

Piggybacked all of the Bose connector wires... that Bose connector was a complete biatch to dismantle, but done.

I have just been to the local audio place to buy my 8AWG power and told him what I was up to.

He has tried this a few times, but says that by splitting the line inputs, the voltage drops (due to "sharing" the signal with the ones going into the Bose amp) and the RNS-e will think there is an issue and shut down after about 15 minutes...

... has anyone seen this or is it make belief?!

Yup, thought so. Completed the install. Running a cable from the battery to the back of the car was a *****. They made these cars too well nowadays!

Now to figure out how to stop if from being permanently on - the "remote" is supplying power constantly to the relay, therefore the amp is on all of the time... put a switch on the "remote" wire for the time being.

Thanks again.

As said pin 6 provides the switched live to turn the amp on/off with the HU. It does stay live until you lock the car for some bizarre Audi reason.