RNS-E Stolen - Downgrade To Symphony - HELP

Zac Fairbank

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im new to this forum looking for information and I have searched the forum but can only find upgrade information, I have a 2012 Black Edition A3.

I had my RNS-E Stolen the other week and in my area they are known for being stolen unfortunately. It was done directly outside my house so I don't want to put another one in for the scum to return and take it again to give me more hassle!!

I have recently bought a Symphony from a 2010 S3 to install as I am aware these are compatible with the BOSE System from factory and the Audi Music Interface I have in the glove box, please correct me if im wrong. I plugged in the power leads and the antenna leads and the unit does seem to power up, making like a calibrating noise, CD drive firing up etc etc but no lights to the front of the unit and no SAFE mode as I believe it should?

Is this something with the wiring and is there anything I need to downgrade so I can use the symphony unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zac

AMI won't work with the normal headunits, where did you buy the radio from, it may be a faulty one?

What's the part number on the head unit?

Oh doesn't it? well thanks for that anyway.

I got it off Ebay, so it could be a faulty unit, I can find out the part number tonight and let you know.

Oh doesn't it? well thanks for that anyway.

I got it off Ebay, so it could be a faulty unit, I can find out the part number tonight and let you know.

Hi Zac, sorry to hear about the theft. Ive just dropped you a PM fyi

There are 2 power wires for the alternative DD units from audi, this is why its not powering up, also the antenna system is different so this will also have an affect, ami will work only as an auxin feature, but it would need rewiring to a different connector.

We can retrofit the relevant antenna system & also fix any power issues to suit the radio you have, so no issues.

There are 2 power wires for the alternative DD units from audi, this is why its not powering up, also the antenna system is different so this will also have an affect, ami will work only as an auxin feature, but it would need rewiring to a different connector.

We can retrofit the relevant antenna system & also fix any power issues to suit the radio you have, so no issues.

Hi thanks for the info, is this a big and expensive job? as I actually do have an RNSE to hand which I would like to convert back when I come to sell the car

Im only doing this to avoid the hassle in the future but if there is a lot of work involved to downgrade my system, it sounds stupid doing so

Depends on your interpretation of expensive tbh, but certainly we can show you how to reverse the work we do in the event of you selling the car & wanting to refit an rns-e.

Feel free to PM if you would like a price to do the work.

Depends on your interpretation of expensive tbh, but certainly we can show you how to reverse the work we do in the event of you selling the car & wanting to refit an rns-e.

Feel free to PM if you would like a price to do the work.

PM Sent :D

It really sucks to be a victim of theft. It must be profitable to steal the the RNS e as I see many for sale on a daily basis. I guess it's just a pain the the **** to take the unit out at night and place it in the boot. I guess I would just purchase another unit as you likely enjoy the features and will always be reminded of the event when you get into the car daily. Thieves are scum but we should not let them permanently change our happiness

Does the RNS-e have a removable facia?

You could just change to a Sat Nav unit with a removeable facia like the Pioneer units. Thats what I intend to do WHEN my RNSE is stolen (as lets face it, it will happen at some point!)

You could just change to a Sat Nav unit with a removeable facia like the Pioneer units. Thats what I intend to do WHEN my RNSE is stolen (as lets face it, it will happen at some point!)

I like to keep it factory but that sounds like a good shout, which are the best models for this and I will look into it as a friend of mine owns a car audio company :)

I'm sure it has been discussed in detail before... but I really do think the best option (if you're a bit handy) is to buy a knackered standard unit, dis-assemble the facia and re assemble it as a panel that can somehow be mounted over the RNS-E.

I'm sure it has been discussed in detail before... but I really do think the best option (if you're a bit handy) is to buy a knackered standard unit, dis-assemble the facia and re assemble it as a panel that can somehow be mounted over the RNS-E.

It isnt that simple due to the knobs of the RSNE. You need to make a whole surround to push the fake facia about by about half an inch, can be done, but its a pain (tried it on an old concert unit), and there is no chance it will fool any thief who is targetting you because they will know the Audi CD players dont stick out like that.

I like to keep it factory but that sounds like a good shout, which are the best models for this and I will look into it as a friend of mine owns a car audio company :)

I like the Pioneer BT Units, depending on location @Ash187 has vast experience of hooking these up to work with Bose, and any existing in car kit. I think all that you lose is the DIS if you have it, but I very rarely use it anyway..

Thats what I intend to do WHEN my RNSE is stolen (as lets face it, it will happen at some point!)

Strange thing to say...its not guaranteed although it could happen. Why not change the unit now so if someone is snooping around your car you don't have the RNS-E there and therefore they won't break the window or damage the car in any other way?

Strange thing to say...its not guaranteed although it could happen. Why not change the unit now so if someone is snooping around your car you don't have the RNS-E there and therefore they won't break the window or damage the car in any other way?

That's what ive done now, taken it out and locked it away, the hassle getting a new passenger side window, respray the door and wing and now im forever finding glass inside the car, not good!!

Reactions: Sayam

Why is it a strange thing to say? Do you know where I live, or where I have to park my car? and with the increasing thefts of these units, it is more than likely it will happen. Law of averages.

That's what ive done now, taken it out and locked it away, the hassle getting a new passenger side window, respray the door and wing and now im forever finding glass inside the car, not good!!

YEah I have thought about swapping it out, might keep an eye out for Pioneer unit with removeable face..

Why is it a strange thing to say? Do you know where I live, or where I have to park my car? and with the increasing thefts of these units, it is more than likely it will happen. Law of averages.

Clearly I don't know where you live but in the post I replied to you were almost guaranteeing it to be nicked lol...

But anyway I reckon my idea of removing and storing the RNS-E ready for when you sell the car or even selling it beforehand is pretty good for someone in your shoes who thinks their unit will be taken.

Clearly I don't know where you live but in the post I replied to you were almost guaranteeing it to be nicked lol...

But anyway I reckon my idea of removing and storing the RNS-E ready for when you sell the car or even selling it beforehand is pretty good for someone in your shoes who thinks their unit will be taken.

Yes I imagine it will get stolen at some point. Sitting ducks, and costly sitting ducks.

Reactions: Sayam