RNS-E Screen "Noise"

JamS3

Reaction score
When the RNS-E screen is on night mode and zoomed in to the highest level (54yds) the brown graphic which signifys a urban area seems to very very slightly flicker in lines, its like white noise you get on a tv when it gets interference.

You have to look at it real close as its not noticable from the driving seat but its really annoying me now I know its there! Its not a pixel issue as they are all working and it only does this on the map screen and no others. The lines are not white they stay the brown colour but the flickering can be seen if looking at the screen for a while in the same place.

Anyone know what this might be?

Interference from a mobile phone?

We had the VW colour satnav in our Bora and that would show interference if the phone was too close. I think it might be more noticable at night because of the higher contrast with the surroundings.

Yes I thought that and turned mine off but was still noticable.

You are right about the higher contrast at night!

Had the opportunity of sitting in another new S3 in the showroom today with RNS-E fitted and this did exactly the same as mine so that put my mind at rest anyway!!

So happy a new one did it also so I know mine is not faulty now, plus you really have to look at mine quite hard to see it (only cause I know its there now!) and anyone else looking would not really notice it!

I think its just a characteristic of the unit and how the screen is made ie pixels etc.

The dealer the other week also showed me another flaw that when the music is turned up from high to low fast the screen brightness jumps slightly and the "noise" lines I mentioned show up.

He said they were good units but not that good, plus my mate works on Bentley and said they were having similar isssues with customers noticing their sat nav units doing this in the Cont Gt's too!!

I'll have a look at mine when i leave work tonight..... Stay tuned ;)

Cheers John

I had a look at another brand new S3 the other day at a different dealer and it also did this which makes it certainly look like this is a characteristic of the unit!

Yes, mine does do this too, although it's hardly noticable unless you really look for it. Don't worry too much about it!! ;)