RNS-E Retrofit

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
I am planning to retrofit a RNS-E radio in my Audi A3 (2007) - 2.0 TDI Quattro with Bose sound system.
I have read a few sparse comments here and there but would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction for getting this done. Is there a picture guide for getting this installed and the things to look out for?
Regards,

Not checked but I'd bet it's all in the search function. It must have been covered before?

Installing it isn't that hard, take out old unit and swap over to new RNS-E. You will need to code the RNS-E for it to work properly though.
where abouts are you based? We offer a complete retrofit service if you need.

Hi ash,

I am looking at the units currently on eBay. I would like to buy the mk2 screen which I'm told has a better resolution?

Also will need to buy a GPS antenna cable.

I have checked my current radio and its a standard Audi symphony-with 6 CD changer.

I am based in Edinburgh. Do you offer the coding service there-this is something I would definitely need help with as I don't have VAG-COM cables.

Regards,

Hi Mate,

If you buy a unit from eBay it will more than likely come with the GPS antenna and the unlock code.
The Mk2 unit is a better unit with the higher capacity SD card slots and the LED screen.

Unfortunately i am based in London and do not know of anyone in your area that can do the installation and coding for you.

Regards
Ash

Thanks-been looking on eBay and I'm def going for a mk2 screen-
They way to tell the difference is that mk1 has cd/tv button and mk2 has media button?

Do you know of anyone in Scotland who would be able to do the coding?

Regards,

Thanks for showing the map.

I am now in conversation with a guy on eBay about to buy the RNS-E radio and he tell me that he can add a SDS option for £50.
I have SDS with my current symphony radio so do I need to buy the addition again?

Also he tells me that all the radio's have already been coded with VAG-COM so all I need to do is plug and play.

Is that true?

Thanks for your help..

that's not correct, you still need the unlock code for it as it prompts you to enter it upon connection and turn it on for the first time

Thanks for the replies.

I have just installed the RNS-E and it all seems to be working fine.

I paid an extra £50 to have SDS-speech recognition system installed. For some reason it comes up in German-I presume as it's the default Audi language.

Does anyone know how to change this?

I'm a bit gutted as I paid extra money to have this feature installed...

Hope everyone has had a merry Christmas!!

you can change all details with VCDS, like language. maybe SDS option is in setup? I don't have it so I don't know :)

Thanks-can't seem to find it in the menu - will have to change it with VCDS-will need to find somebody in Edinburgh who would be willing to help in exchange for some beer tokens

Also, with the RNSE radio-I turn the volume up/down but I don't see a volume bar like I did with my old radio. Is this a feature that can be turned on/off?

I don't know, not in VCDS with SW550.. What SW do you got? I also want the volume bar/number :mad:

I have software version SW220 and hardware H07
Does anyone know how to get a volume bar on the radio?

Yesterday I almost blew the speakers as I was fiddling around with the volume button with the sound on and then switched on the radio.

Got the fright of my life!! It was very loud!

Reactions: grainqey
I have software version SW220 and hardware H07
Does anyone know how to get a volume bar on the radio?

Yesterday I almost blew the speakers as I was fiddling around with the volume button with the sound on and then switched on the radio.

Got the fright of my life!! It was very loud!
+1 here volume bar would be awesome

Reactions: Pergan
So I have finaly manges to change the language on the SDS a from German to English-what a relief, don't have to learn German after all!

Now when I activate the SDS by pressing the button the microphone can not hear me.

My microphone works perfectLy with my phone Bluetooth.

Is this a coding issue or is there a mic volume hidden away in the radio?

Help is much appreciated!!

First thing i did when i installed my RNS-E was checking all menus, I Think its something about language somewhere. but I dont have SDS Yet.

Do you need a module for the SDS or is it just the mic and codings?

I think it's just a mic and coding-weird how my mic does not work with the SDS but it does work with Bluetooth phoning.

Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks - seems like you have done that before!!!

Is this def what needs done? I mean why would my Bluetooth work with the mic and my rnse doesn't?

I am not sure if I trust myself doing this though-looks quite complex to get to the wires. Would anyone be able to help?

At the moment you mic is wired directly to the Bluetooth unit which misses out the rnse, you have to include the rnse in the loop so it can 'hear' your voice. I think there was another method for looping the rnse in but this one was seen as easier. If you don't feel confident do a search for for retrofitters in your area, they will be able to help you get it all set up correctly.

Ok nice one, understood.

Although I still find it a bit strange cause I had SDS a with my Audi symphony 2 radio which worked fine with the mic without the need for re-wiring. So is this a problem that just affects the RNSE?

Reactions: Pergan