RNS-E Retrofit Installation

A13

Reaction score
Hi guys

Managed to pick up a RNS-E unit last week for my A3. Installed last night and thanks to posts on here was pretty easy, apart from trying to get the Bose pin out! Anyway, Most things seem to work ok (i.e. iPod Dock etc) but there are a few issues. I haven't had the car coded yet (I am trying to get hold of Nige atm) so i'm sure a lot of the issues are down to coding;
  • Unit wont shut down when key removed from ignition
  • track/radio info now isnt showing in the DIS
Also, there seems to be a problem with the navigation side of things. I placed the FAKRA antenna in the hole above the unit, in between the vents as suggested by some people online. The Nav-Info screen is showing that i have 4-5 satellites which i assume is good? Trouble is, the unit isn't tracking where i am moving on the map, nor the direction of travel. The arrow will stay pointing in one direction and occasionally move elsewhere as i drive every few minutes. Is this an issue anyone has had before? Could this been down to coding/calibration?

Thanks in advance

Track and radio station names don't show up in the DIS, so that's normal.

You may also have to deal with the ZF short-to-ground code on future scans, if you replaced a concert 2+ or Symphony 2+ head unit... but no big deal.

Check the coding. You'll need a VAG-COM.

Sounds actually like you may not have any CAN bus connection... The satellite isn't used for most speed and direction calculations (unlike handheld units) -it actually uses the CAN bus to read road wheel speed and steering wheel position for MOST of the updating (works better in tunnels and built-up areas that way, too!) and other stuff like ignition on/off. -What about dimming/back illumination? -If that doesn't follow the dash dimming, then it sounds awfully like you don't have a working can connection... and you'll NEED that for VAG-COM to be able to connect/talk to it.

Keith

Last edited:
All the back lighting works, as does the screen dimming etc.
I'll get it all coded and see, hopefully that will sort it, thanks :)

Okay, sounds good. -I hope I'm correct in remembering that the dimming is sent over the CAN bus. -I'm fairly sure that it is, but Nigel can call me all sorts of names if I'm remembering that wrongly!

:)

Good luck with it!

Think your wrong here mate, as mine shows track and radio info on my DIS and many others.

This will be down to coding on this issue.

Reactions: ashaudia3
Yeah I get info from sat nav, radio and songs from sd. Must be coding on that front.

Think your wrong here mate, as mine shows track and radio info on my DIS and many others.

This will be down to coding on this issue.
Ha, as I have been saying in the states all along. I had radio info on my DIS with RNS-E until I brought the car to the dealer for maint and it disappeared when I got it back. Everybody in the dealership thought I was on drugs, same in the stateside forums.

No no... Don't misunderstand me... I get BASIC radio info in the DIS ("FM 02 90.7" for example), but not the SONG titles... -Sorry, I thought that's what was being referred to.

Also. CD tracks (over iPod interface etc) are only "track 35" and not the actualy TITLE.

LWNY, you ARE on drugs. -Nobody in the UK gets song titles in the DIS with RNS-E either. :p

Last edited:
No no... Don't misunderstand me... I get STATION names in the DIS, but not the SONG titles... -Sorry, I thought that's what was being referred to.

Also. CD tracks (over iPod interface etc) are only "track 35" and not the actualy TITLE.

LWNY, you ARE on drugs. -Nobody in the UK gets song titles in the DIS with RNS-E either. :p

Ahh sorry, i see the confusion, track numbers, not names!
Basically, the top section on the DIS where the track number/station name was is now black.

Can't see why it wouldn't have the CAN connection - its a late 2007 car with the quadlock adapter factory fitted?

yeah, CAN connections are the same for both. -You still have the other radio? -If you re-plug it and everthing comes back, it's definitely the RNS-E.

Was this RNS-E always an A3 unit, or has it been converted from a B7 A4 or something (faceplate swap)? -If that's the case, it could be programmed to send/receive information by different means... Some cars used K-line for some stuff.

Pretty sure its an original A3 unit. Have organised for nigel to have a look/sort and code so that'll hopefully sort it...

No no... Don't misunderstand me... I get BASIC radio info in the DIS ("FM 02 90.7" for example), but not the SONG titles... -Sorry, I thought that's what was being referred to.

******. Maybe it was bcuz my car was coded for Symphony II and then added the RNS-E? Maybe if I change it back to Symphony II, let whatever brain inside the car re-remember what it use to do, then switch back to the RNS-E, the brain might forget to undo its screwup.