RNS-E Replace with android unit or Pioneer/kenwood unit

S3Brads

Reaction score
I know there maybe older threads based on this but was wondering with the latest headunits if peoples opinions have changed. I have a 2009 s3 with a RNSE head unit I do like the head unit but find it has limited functionality. So was thinking wether to replace it with an aftermarket android head unit from xtrons etc. Or go the kenwood/pioneer route? The other option is to retrofit AMI for my RNS-E although im not sure if this will be plug and play with my head unit as im not sure which rnse i have?? How do i check?? Opinions much appreciated guys

Iv been searching through there but cant really find any definitive answers. Any opinions would be much appreciated guys

You will get many an opinion about what ones are great but look through the posts and see if the problems others encounter out way the goodness off the newer units

Used RNSE units often fetch more money than a new android. and there is a good reason for that.

personal preference, you wont find a definitive answer because there isnt one.

Iv been searching through there but cant really find any definitive answers. Any opinions would be much appreciated guys

my opinion, the aftermarket is the way to go. the rns systems are based on 10+ year old technology. it is impossible to get the features that are available today on it.
as paddy said, a used rns-e sells for more used than a new android unit costs (although he poses that as more of a negative towards aftermarket, but imo thats just moores law, and works to your benefit).

Reactions: paddy
Not really negative to after market but i have to think what i am buying is better or more reliable than what i have and there are a lot of comments on here about after market failures. This is why the originals fetch a premium IMHO.. Worth updating with the full postcode software though.

Really depends what you want ? if you cant drive without watching bargain hunt as well .....then maybe upgrade :)

But the newest threads i have been reading says the android 8.0 xtrons units are now plug and play. All the previous issues with the rear speakers and radio have been ironed out. Which makes it an option. If i didnt go that route and retrofitted the AMI would it be better??

How do you update with the full postcode software?? And is AMI worth the extra money to retrofit?? I want to be able to connect my phone to my head unit to stream music. I know I could do that by aux cable. But i want to be able to see tracks and artist info plus use the steering wheel controls and charge my phone. I also like the idea of fitting a reverse cam and want a decent sat nav as well.

I dont know, i already have AMI and Bluetooth and i just use the SD slots for music. you just need an update disc for 6 digit postcodes but make sure it has the software update included on the disc. I got mine from ebay for £20.00

How do you update with the full postcode software?? And is AMI worth the extra money to retrofit?? I want to be able to connect my phone to my head unit to stream music. I know I could do that by aux cable. But i want to be able to see tracks and artist info plus use the steering wheel controls and charge my phone. I also like the idea of fitting a reverse cam and want a decent sat nav as well.

Get an android unit then.
Everything you want to do you’ll be able to do and it’s all built in apart from the reverse camera. You’ll not go wrong with an xtrons android 8 unit. You just have to do a little bit of adjusting to get it to be a snug fit in the dash and you’ll have to do a bit of messing about with the settings etc to get it how you want it but for the price it’s well worth it and the extra features you can use means an rnse doesn’t even compare imo.

What do you have to adjust to make it fit snug? Is it just the placing of the wires behind the head unit??

Think im swaying towards the xtrons unit tbh as it is great value, has modern features and is pretty much plug and play. Any idea which one is the best one to get?? Xtrons website has a few different types. Also if anyone can link me the info on how to get it fit snug

Not really negative to after market but i have to think what i am buying is better or more reliable than what i have and there are a lot of comments on here about after market failures. This is why the originals fetch a premium IMHO.. Worth updating with the full postcode software though.

Really depends what you want ? if you cant drive without watching bargain hunt as well .....then maybe upgrade :)

i think its harder for you guys that already have the rns-e to swap to aftermarket, as you already have it.
for myself who had a stock double din, it was a no brainer. the cost of the rns-e plus any available add-ons would far exceed what it cost me to go android (or a pioneer, kenwood etc with carplay/android auto).
but then you guys can always sell the rns-e to recoup, or even make some money on top.

it werent bargain hunt, but i had the chase on itv playing on it the other day :welcoming:

my setup and costs so far
xtrons android 8 unit- £270
zbox carplay dongle with flush mount usb socket hidden in ashtray- £37
android based tpms- £24
boot handle reverse camera- £16

then all the online services that dont cost, eg. streaming tv, streaming music using online services and bluetooth, free and paid for sat nav options.
for a feature/price comparison, its hard to beat.

i have a feeling the high cost of the rns-e on the used market isnt to do with reliabilty concerns, and as the cars get older, the value of those units will start to drop dramatically.

i think its harder for you guys that already have the rns-e to swap to aftermarket, as you already have it.
for myself who had a stock double din, it was a no brainer. the cost of the rns-e plus any available add-ons would far exceed what it cost me to go android (or a pioneer, kenwood etc with carplay/android auto).
but then you guys can always sell the rns-e to recoup, or even make some money on top.

it werent bargain hunt, but i had the chase on itv playing on it the other day :welcoming:

my setup and costs so far
xtrons android 8 unit- £270
zbox carplay dongle with flush mount usb socket hidden in ashtray- £37
android based tpms- £24
boot handle reverse camera- £16

then all the online services that dont cost, eg. streaming tv, streaming music using online services and bluetooth, free and paid for sat nav options.
for a feature/price comparison, its hard to beat.

i have a feeling the high cost of the rns-e on the used market isnt to do with reliabilty concerns, and as the cars get older, the value of those units will start to drop dramatically.

Everything i want right there sounds a great set up. Any problems at all with that kit? Whats the tpms??

Everything i want right there sounds a great set up. Any problems at all with that kit? Whats the tpms??

the headunit fitment wasnt great.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-rns-e.248150/

read that thread, specifically the posts by dp_motley. long and short of it is that on the xtrons android 8 units, the bottom bracket holding into the dash is useless. supposedly the fascia is too low compared to oem.
fix is to push it up from underneath using a piece of foam or similar.

other brands seem fine, just the xtrons, so if i were buying again, id go for the same specs (the actual circuit board is identical to a number of other vendors, its just the externals that differ) just from a different brand.
once its in though, it looks fine.

the tpms is tyre pressure monitor. i have a sensor on each wheel, and a usb box connected to the back of the headunit.
you install the app for the tpms, and it picks up the tyre pressures of each of the wheels. it options such as sounding an alarm when the tyres go below a pressure you set.

tap1Ast.jpg

example of it in use

the headunit fitment wasnt great.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-rns-e.248150/

read that thread, specifically the posts by dp_motley. long and short of it is that on the xtrons android 8 units, the bottom bracket holding into the dash is useless. supposedly the fascia is too low compared to oem.
fix is to push it up from underneath using a piece of foam or similar.

other brands seem fine, just the xtrons, so if i were buying again, id go for the same specs (the actual circuit board is identical to a number of other vendors, its just the externals that differ) just from a different brand.
once its in though, it looks fine.

the tpms is tyre pressure monitor. i have a sensor on each wheel, and a usb box connected to the back of the headunit.
you install the app for the tpms, and it picks up the tyre pressures of each of the wheels. it options such as sounding an alarm when the tyres go below a pressure you set.

tap1Ast.jpg

example of it in use

That looks mint.. wouldnt mind having that feature. Defiantly bring my car into the 21st century. Think im sold just got to decide which one to get. You say other brands are identical?? Which ones are recommended. I like the plug and play of xtrons

the internals are identical, eg. you go for the xtrons android 8 with a 4gb of ram and itll operate exactly the same as another brand with the same specs.
the outside of the device will differ, so the build quality, fitment etc. what id do is look at aliexpress, find some headunits that fit the bill and read the reviews.
or you could just go the xtrons route tbh. thats what i have.

what speaker setup do you have? bose or half amped?

the internals are identical, eg. you go for the xtrons android 8 with a 4gb of ram and itll operate exactly the same as another brand with the same specs.
the outside of the device will differ, so the build quality, fitment etc. what id do is look at aliexpress, find some headunits that fit the bill and read the reviews.
or you could just go the xtrons route tbh. thats what i have.

what speaker setup do you have? bose or half amped?

I have the bose

Appreciate this is an old thread but where can I get an update? Got a 59plate s3 with (I think) RNS-E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want to change your head unit?

Well originally I wanted to get my mate who works at Audi to fit all the extras possible to the existing unit but he’s certain it’s a waste of time and money as the system is temperamental. So I don’t really know, I like the look of keeping the rnse unit if as I think a lot of the time aftermarket stuff looks a bit chavvy... (personal taste)
What did you do in the end?

Looks like you was in the same boat as me then. The problem is the rns-e is a nice system but very dated compared to modern technology. Nowadays I think I'd rather stream music off a spotify app on my head unit then preload a sd card with music. Thats just the tip off the ice berg of the capabilities of an android unit. Thats why I've ordered a new android unit. Should be here this week cant wait. Have plans for the reverse cam and allsorts.

Looks like you was in the same boat as me then. The problem is the rns-e is a nice system but very dated compared to modern technology. Nowadays I think I'd rather stream music off a spotify app on my head unit then preload a sd card with music. Thats just the tip off the ice berg of the capabilities of an android unit. Thats why I've ordered a new android unit. Should be here this week cant wait. Have plans for the reverse cam and allsorts.

Yeah totally get that, but there must be someone who can program that stuff like apply CarPlay into a rnse unit? Even if it needs another hard drive tucked away to cope with it?It’s just a computer same as a laptop...
Reverse cam is another thing I wanted, Bluetooth phone calls, track list on the screen, be able to use the ‘mode’ button on steering wheel, feels like I’ve only got half the car to play with...

Yeah totally get that, but there must be someone who can program that stuff like apply CarPlay into a rnse unit? Even if it needs another hard drive tucked away to cope with it?It’s just a computer same as a laptop...
Reverse cam is another thing I wanted, Bluetooth phone calls, track list on the screen, be able to use the ‘mode’ button on steering wheel, feels like I’ve only got half the car to play with...

Its not worth the time and effort to recode the rns-e. Even if you did it would be pointless as the display isnt HD and cpu is underpowered and weak so wouldnt be able to run programs requiring alot of cpu. In my opinion its far more cost and time effective to buy a head unit with alot of power and a great display. From there the options are endless. To me the android based chinese ones look the most oem. Give an unmodified look

You either just need to accept the oem head unit and add what options you can. Or upgrade to newer powerful one. Coding would be pointless

Its not worth the time and effort to recode the rns-e. Even if you did it would be pointless as the display isnt HD and cpu is underpowered and weak so wouldnt be able to run programs requiring alot of cpu. In my opinion its far more cost and time effective to buy a head unit with alot of power and a great display. From there the options are endless. To me the android based chinese ones look the most oem. Give an unmodified look

I don’t doubt it’s cheaper and easier to buy a cheap android unit, I just don’t get why nobody is in the market of upgrading the factory unit? Audi will have spent years developing it and now it’s 10 years old it’s useless, surely there’s an easy way to upgrade it? Just really not a fan of aftermarket units, to me that’s the stuff that’s made for the jdm guys, looks fine in there, but I couldn’t put one in the s3

You either just need to accept the oem head unit and add what options you can. Or upgrade to newer powerful one. Coding would be pointless

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing mate, it’s not my daily anyway so probably get left for another 6 months

I don’t doubt it’s cheaper and easier to buy a cheap android unit, I just don’t get why nobody is in the market of upgrading the factory unit? Audi will have spent years developing it and now it’s 10 years old it’s useless, surely there’s an easy way to upgrade it? Just really not a fan of aftermarket units, to me that’s the stuff that’s made for the jdm guys, looks fine in there, but I couldn’t put one in the s3

They aren't upgradeable in the way youre thinking they are.
Look at them like phones. The android units are basically 2015/2016 android tablets in the dash.
The rnse is more like a Nokia from 2005. The build quality is great, but once you've got bored playing snake, there's not much more you can do with it other than the basics.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove

Which one did you end up ordering?
I’ve got an xtrons android 8 octa core and it’s brilliant it’s got everything you need.
I say this to everyone, when you get it you want to get yourself on the xda forum. It has a section for android headunits, there are apps and mods to make the sound quality better, improved dab app and all updates and firmwares etc for those units and all mainly for free.
Only negative is the sound quality through Bluetooth music playback isn’t brilliant so rather than playing music through Bluetooth I have downloaded Apple Music onto my headunit and then using wifi downloaded all the songs onto my unit and the sound is much better so you could do the same with Spotify.

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but as anyone fitted any of these units?

xtrons.co.uk/audi/audi-a3-s3-rs3-android-car-stereo.html

Last edited:

Has the unit come mate? Would like to see pics of it and know a bit about if it’s worth it?