RNS-E Problem - Please Help!!

Dazza0685

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi.

I have had my RNS-E unit fitted for a few months but a few weeks ago i had an issue with the fan unit on the car and it was flattening the battery, However i have now fixed the problem and have run the car for a couple of weeks with no issues but from the moment the battery went completely dead the radio has not switched back on since.

I have checked every fuse in the car and all are fine and have removed the RNS-E unit and the fuse is fine in that too.... I have also fitted the original stereo back in and that doesnt power up either.
I have VCDS and have done a scan but it just says there is no access to any of the radio features as if there just isnt one fitted.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a wiring issue... What year is your car? What did you do to stop the battery going flat?

Well The wiring is just an adapter and has worked fine until this problem.

I fixed the problem by buying new fans and fitting them. As far as i can tell the issue was caused by the flat battery rather than anything else.

The car is a 2006 2.0 Tdi SB

Please forgive me for this posting. To power-up the radio and other facilities contained within the RNS-E unit, one has to press the volume control knob, and hold it in for a few seconds. Have you tried this? If you remove power from the RNS-E I believe it will power up by the method mentioned and then ask for the security key. Imputting this will result in the unit working normally.

Reactions: Brodster
Hi. Thanks for your input but im very aware of how to turn on the radio.. I wish it was that simple. Im guessing people must be as confused as me?

Have you checked both the fuse on the RNs and at the dash additionally could be a relay controlling of gone

Have you checked the fuse under the bonnet as this controls the radio power.

like nige says my guess would be a fuse especially since hte old unit doesnt work

Hi. yes as said in the first post EVERY fuse has been checked and all are fine... I will check again, which number fuse is the radio one?
I have eliminated all of the easy solutions and thats why i am here asking for help as i have nowhere else to go?

Thanks