Rns-e Plus

Mesa

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got an RNS-E Sat nav plus in a 2009 S3. I've done some searching around but can't find any clear answers.

Takes about 20 min to initialise the map every time I turn it on.

I done a factory reset. Firmware is really old (I'll check next time in the car).

I think the DVD makes a noise even without the key in the ignition.

Is this all normal? 20min to get the nav working is ages!

Thanks guys,
-Rob-

Sounds like the drive is on it's way out to me, mine takes a minute or two tops and is the mk1 rnse.
Are you using a genuine disc?

Bennyball is right. A bad disk or a bad drive will hold up the initialization by trying multiple times to read the disk.. First thing to try would be a genuine Audi DVD, and if that does not improve things, then clean the laser lens in the DVD drive assy. Fortunately, the DVD drive and lens is easy to get at (at the top of the unit), so cleaning the lens is possible. There are other threads on this forum which describe what you will need to do to clean the lens. Good luck.

You don't need a genuine Audi DVD to test the drive, just whack in any film DVD or CD that isn't a copy, if the drive makes a noise then it needs replacing.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try a retail CD and report back.

Mine starts in seconds, there's definitely an issue with yours... Can you borrow a DVD off someone else and see if that works? At least you can rule out the disk quickly