RNS-E on the bay for sale

JamS3

Registered User
Why?
 

A3simon

Registered User
Basically because i dont stay in the uk so the car has done 6500m in the 15 months ive had it. When im home i dont go anywhere that i need directions to plus i like having my cd player so i can just throw a cd in when ever i like
 

rich1068

Registered User
Christ, that was a close one. My credit card was out...

...must...be...good...must...resist...

Go for it Stefan. You know you want to. I guess that craigyb (?) could do it. And I think he's over Manchester way so not far. Do a search.
 

sat1983

Registered User
Would go for it if I knew someone who fitted them for a few ££ Rich!!... ****** is that my car has the single din concert player.
 

rich1068

Registered User
Same here. Plus the wife would kill me.
 
sat1983 said:
Would go for it if I knew someone who fitted them for a few ££ Rich!!... ****** is that my car has the single din concert player.
If you have half-decent technical skills you could take it on yourself. Do a search on Google. There are a number of guides available and http://www.navplus.us is a brilliant resource.

The only real downside is that in addition to the cost of the RNS-E, you need the double-DIN cage plus some new buttons across the top of the unit. The good news is that the climate unit can be trimmed down (most people make a template and trim the sides with a dremmel), but it's still a little pricey.
 

JohnS3

Registered User
benw123 said:
If you have half-decent technical skills you could take it on yourself. Do a search on Google. There are a number of guides available and http://www.navplus.us is a brilliant resource.

The only real downside is that in addition to the cost of the RNS-E, you need the double-DIN cage plus some new buttons across the top of the unit. The good news is that the climate unit can be trimmed down (most people make a template and trim the sides with a dremmel), but it's still a little pricey.


Mmmm, deja vous
 

rich1068

Registered User
I've noticed a rash of threads tonight about butchering your A3 dash. Coincidence?

:)
 

sat1983

Registered User
I really can't trust myself doing a job like that. "Cutting the climate control unit!:scared2:"
Come on guys!!!!!!!! I want to buy this thing!! Surely someone out there can fit it for say £150??
 

GeoffT

Registered User
sat1983

IIRC there is a company in Leicester that will supply and fit RNS-E for £750. I'm sure I've seen them on Ebay. It's £100 more than 500+150 to fit, but you might get a guarantee as well. (No connection with them, but you seem desperate for RNS-E!)
 

sat1983

Registered User
Trouble is Geoff most places charge at least a grand for fitting if you have single DIN. Which does make quite a bit of difference. There is a place called retrofit systems in Darlington which I'd try. They charge £750 for double DIN, but £1000 for single DIN...
£250 more because I was stupid enough to buy the A3 with the concert cd player!!!
 

bry865

Registered User
You received it Saturday!, have you tested the unit to confirm its fully working?
:blownose:
 

A3simon

Registered User
i got it from a fellow member on here straight out his car
 

GeoffT

Registered User
sat1983 said:
Trouble is Geoff most places charge at least a grand for fitting if you have single DIN. Which does make quite a bit of difference. There is a place called retrofit systems in Darlington which I'd try. They charge £750 for double DIN, but £1000 for single DIN...
:sign_omg: Wow that is a difference! I know there needs to be mods to the climate control on single DIN, but £250 difference seems a bit steep. I've bought whole cars for less. I have a Bosch jigsaw a fairly steady hand, and some black insulation tape if your are interested!
 

bry865

Registered User
I'll go for that, cash on colllection, what day/time suits you?
 

A3simon

Registered User
SOLD
 

sat1983

Registered User
Think I'll stick to S8craig for fitting. Nothing but praise for him according to everyone on here. I really need someone trusted for a job like that.
 

GeoffT

Registered User
mitch78 said:
If you mean Ultimate Velocity, don't go near them. I was considering one from them, called to ask if they had any in and was told they did. I drove down on the Saturday morning (from Leeds) and when I got there they decided they wanted £100 more than advertised on their website, and would need a 2 week lead time to order one in. I thought that was bad enough, but then they decided to check with their "expert" fitter which version I would need. He replied with "What car? A new S3? Yeah, that's an MFD2" (That's the unit in the MkV Golf and new Passat) It was at this point that I left.

I can't remember where, but since then I've heard a couple of stories about the fitting that they've done too. Let's just say that it leaves a bit to be desired...

Thanks for the heads up Mitch. The company I was thinking of were these. Ebay shop name is Autotronics. I don't know if there is a connection between them and Ultimate Velocity. As I said, I know nothing about them, just remembered seeing there Ebay entry.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Navigation-RNS-E-DVD-Navigation-FITTED_W0QQitemZ160112638821QQihZ006QQcategoryZ75327QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm not looking at RNS-E myself yet as I only picked the car up on Saturday. I also really like the speed camera warnings on my Tomtom as they have already saved me a few points. I know the RNS-E can't do that although the guys on the Navplus forum are looking into it.

In the meantime I need to find a neat way of mounting the Tomtom. I really want to keep it clean looking. I am considering mounting it in the "no-smoking pack ashtray cubby" and running an extension for the GPS aerial, but haven't looked at it too seriously yet.
 

chrisred

Registered User
GeoffT said:
Thanks for the heads up Mitch. The company I was thinking of were these. Ebay shop name is Autotronics. I don't know if there is a connection between them and Ultimate Velocity. As I said, I know nothing about them, just remembered seeing there Ebay entry.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Navigation-RNS-E-DVD-Navigation-FITTED_W0QQitemZ160112638821QQihZ006QQcategoryZ75327QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm not looking at RNS-E myself yet as I only picked the car up on Saturday. I also really like the speed camera warnings on my Tomtom as they have already saved me a few points. I know the RNS-E can't do that although the guys on the Navplus forum are looking into it.

In the meantime I need to find a neat way of mounting the Tomtom. I really want to keep it clean looking. I am considering mounting it in the "no-smoking pack ashtray cubby" and running an extension for the GPS aerial, but haven't looked at it too seriously yet.

It seems ultimate velocity have some bad reviews but I've also just came across Autotronics in Leicester. I'd rather spend a little more to get the piece of mind and warranty and they are only 100 miles from me so not too bad

They are advertising ones like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Navig...ryZ75327QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

They list a VAT invoice seperately, is this a sly way to say the cost is £750 ex vat or just the fact they are a legit VAT reg company rather than a backstreet?

They've got great feedback on fleabay but looking back through the history none of this relates specifically to RNS-E

This seems like a good price, the units seem to be fetching £500+ on ebay so by the time you've put postage in plus other bits you might need - then factor in the time and chance of f*cking something up this doesn't seem so bad.

Richter look spot on for the job at http://www.richtersport.com/displayservice.asp?id=3&p=5 but are an extra grand
Vehicles with Double DIN Head Unit £1699 Inc VATCan anyone recommend Autotronics then? Ultimate Velocity are also in Leicester which seems like a coincidence, and if a cheaper cost means shoddy work and travelling down there only to be charged more then obviously these guys shouldn't be touched with a bargepole ;)

Any comments appreciated
 

JST_A3

Registered User
Re: Ultimate Velocity
I've recently bought an RNS-E from them via eBay and was impressed by both the speed of delivery and quality of unit supplied. I ordered on a Wednesday night and received the unit on Friday afternoon. It was well packed and in perfect condition.

Only downside was that they didn't have any DVD's in stock, so I received a copy and this was followed up a week later with an original version.

I installed it on Friday (double-din direct replacement for the Concert II+) so it only took around 30 minutes in total to locate the antenna and fit the head unit.

I'm very happy with the performance and the overall look of the standard equipment.

Steve
 

bry865

Registered User
At last finally got it fitted.....

Wed 19th Sept - Collected the RNS-E unit from A3Simon on
Thrs 20th Sept - Ordered the Kufatec Harness
Fri 27th Sept - Collected my A3 2.0 TDi S line DSG, Bose
Fri 5th Oct -Received the Kufatec Harness
Sat 6th Oct - Fitted the Unit
Sun 7th Oct - BIG Thanks to TMcG for setting the codes :thumbsup:

.... and its working a treat
 
Top